Tips/Helpful Hints/Suggestions on installing new shock absorbers

-

340_dart_power

Reaction score
I've purchased a new set of KYB Gas-A-Just rear end shock absorbers for the Dart and am looking for any assistance my fellow FABO'ers can provide in the installation of same.
I haven't done this before, and I'm assuming it's something I can do in my garage with the tools I have at hand. Anyone have any experience(s) they'd like to share? The floor is yours.

HPIM1345.jpg

HPIM1347.jpg

Those shocks are for setting up for racing at the track,so if your not racing you,d better set them for a stiffer ride.My 2 cents

Put a floor jack under the K-member, jack it up enough so you can reach behind the front tire, unbolt the old, bolt in the new, remove floor jack, drive car, 6 months later they will be squishy and not as firm as they used to be. They are also nonadjustable so you don't have to worry about that.

Ahhh those are just rears, same thing just use jack stands and crawl under the car. Bolt the tops in first.

Sorry about that; forgot to mention in original post they are for the rear end.
I also have a new set of XHD leaf springs going in as well, but I'm subcontracting that out to my garage guys.
Thought I'd save a couple $$ by installing these (the shocks) myself.

HPIM1316.jpg

HPIM1338.jpg

Hell, the springs are easy enough to put in, looks like they have the front bushings in them, get a set of rear bushings from your local part store (under 20 bucks), do it yourself and save even more! Just clean the threads on the U bolts before you take the nuts off and it shouldn't take you half a day to do everything.

Hell, the springs are easy enough to put in, looks like they have the front bushings in them, get a set of rear bushings from your local part store (under 20 bucks), do it yourself and save even more! Just clean the threads on the U bolts before you take the nuts off and it shouldn't take you half a day to do everything.

As far as installing the leafs, do you jackstand the rear diff/axle as well as the frame to take weight off the springs to remove them?
I've never seen or done this before, so bear with me.

Yup. That or just let it rest on the ground with the tires still on and a jack stand under the front of the pumpkin so it wont pivot down. If you have basic tools, 4 jack stands and a floor jack you can do it. You wont have to kick loose any brake lines or the drive shaft. Just do one side at a time.

-
Back