Tips on instalation of a new vinle top

-

169dart4y

Reaction score
I have a 69 dart and just bought a new replacement vinle top.
Has anyone done this and have and tips on how to
#1 get the chrome off { special tool} window chrome also.
#2 prep for install and getting the old off.
#3 what adhesive worked the best and where to get it.
#4 installation { glue half then, then glue other half? } Trim after glued?

Since it's winter California ,{ no snow } should I wait and do it this summer on a hot day to get the vinle top nice and soft?

All tips would be great. Thanks again for the help. Ted

I will have it done professionally the next time I have mine done. I did mine myself and it didn't come out as good as it should. If you try it keep in mind the side seams need to be straight when you get that far. Two people or more would help install is a plus.

i like the 3m spray adhesive the best. fold half over , spray glue in about 6 inch strip on roof and bottom side of vinyl, let tack up as per instructions on the can. fold top over smoothing the vinyl , and keep repeating until the half is done, then do the other side. try to do it on a nice warm sunny day as this makes the vinyl easier to work with , and the sun will shrink the vinyl pulling it tight onto the metal. DO NOT trim close to the edges and around clips until the top has sat out in the sun for at least a day. the hardest part is making sure the seams are straight , so take measurements and mark where they need to go, i just stick some tape on the front and rear glass to give me a reference. as far as prep work beforehand- scuff the top if painted with a scotchbrite pad and wipe down with a wax and grease remover such as prepsol ( i believe its called) if you already took off an old vinyl top, then make sure the glue has been totally removed.

May I make a couple of suggestions ?

- Be sure the roof's painted completely , including window channels ;

- After the vinyl is added , run a bead of sealant between :
1. roof / pillars and the windows' trim
2. window trim and glass itself

Doing this will help cut down on future rust , as the sealant will keep sand , dirt , leaves , salty beach air , etc. , etc. , from finding their way into the spaces left around these parts ( window channels , cowl , etc. ) .

Because most of these cars came with vinyl tops, the tops were not finished out all the way. They were prepared crappily at best. The most important part of recovering with a new vinyl top ain't the vinyl top at all, but the ROOF. If that joker was mine, I would blast it all the way down to bare metal, unless it is dead nuts PERFECT. Then, make any necessary rust repairs, treat the whole top with somethin like POR15 or Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood and get it primed sealed and painted. Finish paint it like it's gonna be uncovered. Cause you want that thing to LAST.

A warm sunny day is a must. The vinyl is easier to work around the curves when hot & flexible. (yes, I just said "hot & flexible") The most difficult spot for me was the roof/C pillar bend. It will take alot of patience and working the vinyl to smooth it out.

Take the time to line up the seems. Keep them evenly spaced as they run from windshield to back glass.

I spent about 2 hours measuring, checking and double checking. Don't forget about the two small seems that will show below the rear window and the trunk. they are only about 3 inches long, but there is a body seem in the trunk filler panel that they need to be referenced off of. This will be some of the last piece of vinyl to be adhered, but it is difficult to move once the top has been set.

When you have it laid out on the roof and ready to glue, measure one more time. I glued mine half at a time with the 3M super adhesive. Follow the directions on the can. 3-4 cans should do it. Use bricks to weigh down the passenger side of the vinyl, fold the driver side over onto the passenger side and go to town.

I also used a deep socket as a roller in the tight spots to work it smooth.

This is not hard to do, just dont rush it, and wait for the warm sunny day.

Does anyone know about a special tool to get the windshield and vinle chrome off? I watched the windshield guy get the chrome off but wasn't to sure about the vinle trim and how it is attached or hooked on?

The trim below the rear window on the trunk extension is bolted on. You need to open the trunk and remove the nuts to remove the trim. The pieces at the base of the c pillar have 1 phillips head screw and a couple of studs to secure it.

Remove the phillips head screw and slide the trim toward the rear to remove it. The studs will slide along the track on the underside of the trim piece.

Roof rail trim.....I just pried it off, gently rolled it off the roof rail. There may be a special tool for this, but I don't have one.

All good tips, may I add, get some quarter inch wood dowel from home depot or lowes and some spring clamps. Clamp the dowel down in the drip channel to hold the top after you glue it. Also a screen installion tool with the wheels on each end works good to push the top down in the channels. I did mine first time with a friend and it came out good!

-
Back