Tips on installing rubber front spring eye bushings

-

340doc

Reaction score
Based on responses to my earlier post about the use of solid front leaf spring bushings, I've decided to replace them with stock rubber. After looking at the new bushings, I don't see a way to press them in just by contacting the outer steel shell. Can I just press on the center sleeve and rubber? Will it push the rubber out the other side? Hoping for input from someone who has done it. This is a first for me.

They sell a press kit, can use a ball joint press kit usually. I used poly big eye bushings for years, id put lighter fluid on the old rubber ones and let them burn n melt out then chisel the shell out. Poly go in by hand with the grease.

Low buck press is your bench vice so long it is big enough to do the job. With new bushing in hand, go to your local Hardware store, look thru the pipe fittings to find nipple long enough and large enough inside diameter to act as a "receiver" for the old bushing as you push it out. Also look for fitting combination that you can use as a pusher, OR, a large socket will do if you have one, "deep" is better, if you don't have a deep one just keep stacking up sock
IF it works out that you only got a hold of just the rubber, no big deal, just split the shell with a hack saw, OR push it out with an air chisel.

Push the new bushing in with the vice.

A second pair of hands would/will be a great help, been there done that.

I spread the eye in the spring end with an air chisel because I did mine on the car by dropping the fronts of the springs.
Once the new one was in I knocked the chisel bit out.

Just use a piece of heavy flat plate with a hole cut in the middle for inner sleeve clearance. I have some very heavy duty washers I use also. Just press it in. No need finding something round that fits thin outer shell diameter.

I spread the eye in the spring end with an air chisel because I did mine on the car by dropping the fronts of the springs.
Once the new one was in I knocked the chisel bit out.
Interesting idea. Thanks to all who responded!

Just use a piece of heavy flat plate with a hole cut in the middle for inner sleeve clearance. I have some very heavy duty washers I use also. Just press it in. No need finding something round that fits thin outer shell diameter.
Great idea

Consider going to a suspension shop, I left my springs for bushings but they installed the wrong size so I went back and they said "sorry, we'll fix it". The guy took my springs into his shop and came back about 2 minutes later with the right bushings installed. I didn't see how he did it but I was amazed how quickly it was done. The cost was very reasonable.

-
Back