tips on interior painting??

-

74valiant

Reaction score
im painting my whole interior from blue to black, and wanted to ask if anyone has any tips on doing it. anyone have a good way to tape off the windsheild, or should i just pull it and reinstall? what about the rear windsheild? also,is there any way to pull the door seals without breaking the clips so i can paint on the same lines the factory did. i tried to pull a few clips and they all broke. what is the easiest way to paint the doors (underside and all)? any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

I just masked every thing off and rattle caned mine then hit it with som clear. I did not take the windows out. But I did take the carpit and seats out. Any thing I could take off and paint then reinstall I did. I left the dash in though.

026.jpg

027.jpg

I suppose you're refering to a 74 Valiant ? Pictures would help.
Everything you can take out of the car should be painted out of the car.
About those plastic clips in the seals... Some will break while others tair the rubber. Just cut them. They can be replaced.
Nothing inside was painted a high gloss. You can but you wont like it. It will show every finger print. The dash paint is a flat low texture they called suede finish. I dont have a clue why you asked about the rear window.

I agree with Redfish pull as much out as you can will be much easer to paint.I went from blue to white on my dart.I like the paint called Fushion bonds to almost anything,and it lasts.good luck

Use an adhesion promoter and plastic prep. Also use plastic interior paints and dye's such as SEM.

I clean all my vinyl pieces with diluted purple power or greased lightning and a scrub brush.both sem and the duplicolor vinyl dyes work well in the rattle cans. most automotive paint stores can custom mix any color of vinyl dyes
1st pic:this was a green with woodgrain doorpanel that the wood grain did not match the rears,the rears were blue and the other front was black.the pictures look like the vinyl at the top is blue but it is purple and black vinyl from a sign shop that I applied and the sign shop made up the duster stickers for me.2nd pic is the vinyl applied to just the lower dash.third pic is my dog waiting for a ride...somewhere.... the upper rear seat was tan although I dyed the upper and the lower for uniformity the lower did not need to be dyed and the front seat covers I installed are from legendary.

frtdoorpanel.JPG

dashshot.JPG

interiorshot.JPG

thanks for the help so far guys. this car is a huge project, and at the moment interior is at the top. the door panels, headliner, and seats are getting re-upholstered to a 2 tone black and cream to match my exterior (spinnaker white). only reason why i asked about the winsheild is because i dont want overspray on the seals and such, and its pretty hard to get tape to sit right. heres some pictures of the progress. just gotta do the front and rear windsheild and ill be ready to go!!

this is more work than i thought , but i think it will be nice when im done

to mask off the windshield use a piece of heavy cardboard cut to shape and slide it down there where its hard to tape.you can make the cardboard piece from the out side of the car,then trim the sides a lil' bit to tape the sides and top into place where its easy to get tooooooooooooooooooo =)

I took my doors and anything else that did come off, right off and just masked the hell out of everything. Its amazing how far the over spray can go.

-
Back