Tips & tricks for taking out 71 Dart door window?

-

hoop

Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking the passage side window out in a 71 Dart Swinger parts car, looking for any tips or tricks, do the window fuzzies got to come off, if so, douse the other wider trim got to come off beside the fuzzy trim???

I might be wrong.. I think you'll find the vent window assembly and door glass all comes out together. Only 1 small fastener holds the door glass to its regulator.
It's a 2 piece plastic thingy. In my experience, pulling the center pin out of it always breaks it. Using a small punch to drive that center pin clear through doesn't always break it. Even if... it is reproduced and the least of your worries.
Finding all the hardware that holds the vent window assembly in is the tough part for most.
My advise is take your door apart first so you know what tools are needed at the parts yard.

Well I have took one out before on my 72 dart, but it was easy, because someones took it all out before, yell, the way I done it was both vent & glass at same time & it seem like the fuzzies was going to be in the way, so I took them off too! On 71 parts car I am having a had time with the fuzzies/trim, Can it come out with out the trim coming off & if the trim douse got to come off, douse the wider trim beside the fuzzy trim got to come off, if so How?

Attachments

• DSCN3852.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 194
The fuzzies can be stubborn. The glass should be down far enough to not interfere.
There are travel stops on the door, or regulator, or both, to unset.

How do you take out the bolt under the vet wing behind the small hole? ....my other dart was missing this bolt the last time I took out a side window, so it was not a prob., I used a socket & ratchet on it, seem like right size, went one size smaller, would not fit, so I should of had right size, I turned & turned, but did not seem like it was coming out...& douse it got to come out to take the door window out?

I think the bolt behind the hole is allen / hex socket hd. screw,

yep, the link helped, I think I may need a hex socket if they make them long, can't get it to budge with a hex ranch or with hex ranch & vice grips!

I got it broke loose but now I can't remember how I removed the window fuzzies before on my other dart, I was thinking I got the window to come all the way down to the bottom after I rolled it down in poked out the thing & took the bracket off, but it looks like the chrome part bottoms out & that's as low it would go & like that I steel can't get to the out side fuzzies!

Allen tip in a 3/8 drive socket and a pull bar will be the safest tool.
Using a 'L' shaped Allen key... short end in the bolt, long end pointed down inside, so you can slip a box end wrench or short piece of pipe over it. When the bolt does break loose the door can cut your arm badly. Duct tape over those sharp edges, and long sleeves, can prevent blood loss.

Travel stops are a L shaped piece bolted to the door and a eccentric on the regulator.
I can't recall which stop is up and which is down though.

Well I got the outer fuzzie off, if you snap one or 2 clips loose the rest well come, & I got the window a tad bit lower by taking all the bolts & nuts loose that's got to come loose to take it out & I got the window out without taking the inside fuzzy loose!...Now that I got the side window out of my parts car, On my good car tomorrow I just got to take out my scratched up glass & take off the broke in half & bent up fuzzies & put on New Top Cat fuzzies!

Looks like I'll be putting the fuzzies on off my parts car, because I could not get the new top cat ones to work!...The window would not roll up & down freely with the new ones on, after I took them back off it douse!

-
Back