Tips?

-

Narlie

Reaction score
Any good tips on sealing intake in the front and rear? I replaced them once and the friggin things still leak.

I have had lots of help here with intake swap questions. I was told to not use the cork for the front and rear gaskets but instead use a nice bead of Ultra Black. The more knowing of this site will chime in about your issue. I had a very small leak start a few weeks after doing mine, but I was told to clean the area really well and apply a bit more sealant and it worked great, that was without removing the intake.
AL

X2 and spot on with your advice ram250098, although we removed the intake to fix it.......

I always use the cork gaskets with RTV.Make sure you put extra RTV in the corners.Then retorque the intake bolts when the engine is hot.
Jim

I have always used black or grey rtv in a good thick bead and give it a day to fully cure then add your fluids and drive it. also make sure you use something like brake clean to make sure both mating surfaces are clean and set thr intake straight down so you don't push the sealer off.

I also used the cork gaskets,but cut the ends off of both front and rear!Then used plenty of silicone in the corners!No leaks here!

I've used the cork, in the past, and it's worked well. The trick is using a thin layer of RTV on both sides, and then apply a liberal amount at the ends where the cork ends and the heads begin. Good Luck!

Toss tye cork, Get a can of "The Right Stuff" sealer. It come in a cheese wiz can.

Toss tye cork, Get a can of "The Right Stuff" sealer. It come in a cheese wiz can.
That stuff works!!

I sealed up a tranny gasket with that stuff. I was sick and tired if it leaking all the time so I glued the dipstick tube in with it, and used it on both sides of a rubber gasket on the tranny pan. Man, I hope I never have to take it off.

For my intakes I have always used the cork with a thin coat of ultra black on both sides to hold them in place and a nice fat bead in the corners. I have never had one leak.

You guys are awesome . So many replies in such a short time..GREAT!!!
Now I must choose my method.To Cork or not to Cork.
Thanks All!

-
Back