Tire prices....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
:protest: Just put 4 tires on the Explorer, BFG Long Trails, cost was right around $600. I thought I got hosed.....but I was wrong. Bike will need tires, the rear is a 250/40r-18 and the front is a pizza cutter belted tire, an 80/90-21. By the time tubes and mount & balance are tacked on it is going to just south of $500. Couple that with the $800 or so on a pipe, the $800 it will be to get a custom seat made, $320 for an ignition, new jacket, gloves ( I have 4 pairs SOMEWHERE), helmet and synthetic fluids it is just down right stupid the amount of money one will spend for some entertainment.....:banghead:

Almost forgot the $450 on a frigging jack :angry7::violent1::banghead:

:protest: Just put 4 tires on the Explorer, BFG Long Trails, cost was right around $600. I thought I got hosed.....but I was wrong. Bike will need tires, the rear is a 250/40r-18 and the front is a pizza cutter belted tire, an 80/90-21. By the time tubes and mount & balance are tacked on it is going to just south of $500. Couple that with the $800 or so on a pipe, the $800 it will be to get a custom seat made, $320 for an ignition, new jacket, gloves ( I have 4 pairs SOMEWHERE), helmet and synthetic fluids it is just down right stupid the amount of money one will spend for some entertainment.....:banghead:

Tire prices are pretty much flat right now.:D

Just put 4 tires on one of my trucks on Thursday. $717.00 that did not include an alignment.

...and replaced 2 front tires on another truck, on the same day for $332.00, also not including an alignment.

I have been using eBay is the only place I've found to get better prices. I remember just a few years ago 200 would buy a new set but it's all about oil prices.

Just bought new tires for my car $1,200.00

Could have bought cheaper tires but thought these should be the last tires I buy for this car

Wanted Michelins, so I paid the price

Bought new tires for my truck last year, a little over $700 mounted & balanced and that was cheap tires what I wanted would have been $1,100. When I was checking for them the year before but waited, could have gotten the better tire for $800, then read right before I went to get them tire prices jumped 20-25%

Just bought new tires for my car $1,200.00

Could have bought cheaper tires but thought these should be the last tires I buy for this car

Wanted Michelins, so I paid the price

Bought new tires for my truck last year, a little over $700 mounted & balanced and that was cheap tires what I wanted would have been $1,100. When I was checking for them the year before but waited, could have gotten the better tire for $800, then read right before I went to get them tire prices jumped 20-25%

The tires I replaced on the Explorer were Michelins...they had right around 85k on them. Had some tread left but I picked up a bolt in the right rear so....Will need tires for my truck in the not to distant future....and with it being a diesel I like the heavier tires on it. Last time I bought tires for it a few years back it was right around a grand.

Just took the bike for a quick trip down the dirt road and back.....need to add a set of handlebars to my list above. I had a friend make a set and they just are not right, they are twisted a bit.:eek:ops: Riding a bike with bent bars plays tricks with your brain.

What I hate most about the bike tires is the lack of mileage you get out of them, and it's not like you can run them out of tread. Seems like I'm buying a rear bike tire every year and I keep trying for a higher mileage option I'm not buying the off brand $hit. Why can't they make one with grip that gets 20k mi.

What I hate most about the bike tires is the lack of mileage you get out of them, and it's not like you can run them out of tread. Seems like I'm buying a rear bike tire every year and I keep trying for a higher mileage option I'm not buying the off brand $hit. Why can't they make one with grip that gets 20k mi.

Last Sport bike I commuted on would get 5k or a rear tire and 10k on the front tire, front brakes and chain and sprockets...Granted I rode pretty hard but still.
I know what you mean about the off brand crap. I had a buddy that used to always ride on Cheng Shin, don't know if I spelled it right. Or if they are still around. But I can say that they were damn near like riding on the snow. Sure they were close to half of Dunlop/Metzeler/Bridgestone but it made riding down right scary.
Can't help but wonder if any bike tire is capable of 20K?

Have Dunlop on my Goldwing, mileage is pretty good. Don't remember how many miles on it, but the last set cost me $550 mounted and balanced I let them remove and reinstall. My 1st set I removed and saved less than $75, and took me all damn day to disassemble and reassemble the damn thing. Biggest problem was the trailer hitch and the lack of a motorcycle jack

I don't ride it hard, tires still look ok, but if I get it road worthy it will need a set soon.

INK on my truck also a diesel put a set of Kelly load range D 265/75/16, nice ride not much road noise, better handling than the BF Goodrich 285/75/16 all terrain that came off it.

Have Dunlop on my Goldwing, mileage is pretty good. Don't remember how many miles on it, but the last set cost me $550 mounted and balanced I let them remove and reinstall. My 1st set I removed and saved less than $75, and took me all damn day to disassemble and reassemble the damn thing. Biggest problem was the trailer hitch and the lack of a motorcycle jack

I don't ride it hard, tires still look ok, but if I get it road worthy it will need a set soon.

INK on my truck also a diesel put a set of Kelly load range D 265/75/16, nice ride not much road noise, better handling than the BF Goodrich 285/75/16 all terrain that came off it.

Are the Kellys a street type of tire or an off road tread? I have Hankook Dynapro's on it now, thanks to a crappy alignment and me not paying attention to what was going on they are feathered and sound like mud terrains going down the road.

A family member wanted the " 4 tires,for 99.99!" ,special twenty years ago.Sure enough,I had to do two roadside recoveries. Cost me more ,that the relative spent ,on the originial four.(lol.). I am cheap,the one place I spend coin,is the rubber. Besides that,pricing IS crazy.

A family member wanted the " 4 tires,for 99.99!" ,special twenty years ago.Sure enough,I had to do two roadside recoveries. Cost me more ,that the relative spent ,on the originial four.(lol.). I am cheap,the one place I spend coin,is the rubber. Besides that,pricing IS crazy.
When we got our Explorer it had the "4 for $99" rubber on it. I was at Discount 3 times in 2 weeks when they offered me 4 Michelins for the price of 2.....

One of the replacements that Discount gave us for the cheapo ones bubbled in the 25 mile trip from the tire shop to work.

Last Sport bike I commuted on would get 5k or a rear tire and 10k on the front tire, front brakes and chain and sprockets...Granted I rode pretty hard but still.
I know what you mean about the off brand crap. I had a buddy that used to always ride on Cheng Shin, don't know if I spelled it right. Or if they are still around. But I can say that they were damn near like riding on the snow. Sure they were close to half of Dunlop/Metzeler/Bridgestone but it made riding down right scary.
Can't help but wonder if any bike tire is capable of 20K?
I don't think they make one that last for 20k but it sure would be nice. I've tried avon/dunlop/metzler, running bridgestone exedra's on the vtx 1800 right now. It's just a cruiser but the 120 ft/lbs of tq puts a hurtin on that rear tire.

There's just no real way to get grip and mileage both. I figure I'm pretty lucky to get 6,000 miles. Dunlops and Metzlers are my two favorites, running Dunlop GT501's Arrowmax's right now and they feel nice and sticky, we'll see how they hold up this summer.

If it comes down to it, I'll take stick over mileage. It's expensive but my hide is even more pricey with the cost of deductibles, lost work, etc.

I spent 1100 getting new wheels and tires for the cuda. Tires were roughly 500 mounted and balanced and the wheels were 625 including shipping from anaheim CA.

Couple that with the $800 or so on a pipe
Dunno what the hell sort of pipes you're putting on that thing, but at that price it better be a collaboration effort between Jesse James and the ghost of Indian Larry! :| Have you checked JP Cycles yet??

the $800 it will be to get a custom seat made
I fabbed my own out of 1/8" steel, 3/16" flat stock (for reinforcing straps) and a gate hinge... Came out alright, and only cost me around 20 bucks........

312200_158276180927565_682574292_n.jpg

296172_158276200927563_641665333_n.jpg

With seat springs, probably 30 bucks. This piece was my very first rust bluing attempt. The pics were taken pre-initial boil, so it's all brown with rust. Originally I was going to spray-glue some regular car seat foam to it and then shape it with a bread/electric/hot knife, then wrap it with junk leather scraps rough-stitched together with rawhide and a big fat bone needle for a total Leatherface look... Had everything ready, but the seat rusted so nice and uniformly that I just HAD to try rust bluing... I may yet still do the Leatherface seat eventually... And yes, those are REAL .50BMG foot pegs.

Also, the most expensive piece I've put on this bike, hands-down, is the taillight:

304291_158276210927562_1507506293_n.jpg

:D

Not bad for an $80.00 (yes, eighty dollars is what I paid for it) hardware store special... That's right, everything except the 50 brass came from a hardware store..

......it is just down right stupid the amount of money one will spend for some entertainment.....
Yep... But then again, I've always found more entertainment in building it yourself, instead of just bolting a bunch of random catalog bullcrap to it... Maybe because I'm also a broke m.f. and can't do like you rich guys and just say "I want that" and just toss it on... And completely alien to me is the concept of paying someone to do something I could do...

I really REALLY hope you don't mean a car floor jack.... Have you tried Harbor Freight?

- CK

Thats the nice thing about riding in the sand. Tires may cost a lot but they last for a very long time. Unless your stupid enough to run them on any thing but sand that is. Got a set of paddles that are 10 years old. Wish all tires lasted that long.

Dunno what the hell sort of pipes you're putting on that thing, but at that price it better be a collaboration effort between Jesse James and the ghost of Indian Larry! :| Have you checked JP Cycles yet??

I fabbed my own out of 1/8" steel, 3/16" flat stock (for reinforcing straps) and a gate hinge... Came out alright, and only cost me around 20 bucks........

312200_158276180927565_682574292_n.jpg

296172_158276200927563_641665333_n.jpg

With seat springs, probably 30 bucks. This piece was my very first rust bluing attempt. The pics were taken pre-initial boil, so it's all brown with rust. Originally I was going to spray-glue some regular car seat foam to it and then shape it with a bread/electric/hot knife, then wrap it with junk leather scraps rough-stitched together with rawhide and a big fat bone needle for a total Leatherface look... Had everything ready, but the seat rusted so nice and uniformly that I just HAD to try rust bluing... I may yet still do the Leatherface seat eventually... And yes, those are REAL .50BMG foot pegs.

Also, the most expensive piece I've put on this bike, hands-down, is the taillight:

304291_158276210927562_1507506293_n.jpg

:D

Yep... But then again, I've always found more entertainment in building it yourself, instead of just bolting a bunch of random catalog bullcrap to it... Maybe because I'm also a broke m.f. and can't do like you rich guys and just say "I want that" and just toss it on...

I really REALLY hope you don't mean a car floor jack.... Have you tried Harbor Freight?

- CK

Where to start.....the exhaust....the 250 tire complicates things a bit.......and I am not just looking for a set of drag pipes.....the Marshall in Readan would ticket me every time he would hear it.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21.htm

View attachment seat.jpg

Yours is a far cry from anything I would considering riding on.....especially with the wife on the back....

http://www.richscustomseats.com/index.asp

I am not looking for something that I am going to ride from watering hole to watering hole.......

As to your "rich guy" comment nice try at an insult......far from "rich"......as a matter of fact I am disabled......

As to the floor jack you might want to watch this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avJ2a0oOvCU"]Motorcycle Lift Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

before you flush your money down the crapper with that HF "jack"......You might want your machine to be laying on the floor because the jack gave way but that is not my idea of fun.....

Thanks for your helpful comments.....and the attempted insults.....not just "catalog shopping because I am rich and want this and that"....

I do have to say that I wish you the best of luck with your bike......

I spent $769 yesterday for 4 Cooper H/T plus. They were 275-60-20's. I felt like I got a real good deal seeing as they were $50 per tire cheaper than at home. That was the mounted, balanced, tire leeve and taxes in price. They even got rid of the old crap that was on it for me.

Jack

My brother is bringing back four tires from florida next month 275 60 17,s for his 98 SST truck , same tire here $305.00 a piece in Florida $169.00 what a difference. Do you suppose somebody is making money here.

I have a near finished set of magnum 500s that I need to finish but I am in no hurry because the price of 4, 14" bfgoodrich radial T/As are outrageous. Will just wait for my little brother to bring me a used set home from work.

I buy from tirerack.com... or find a local tire retailer that will price match them without any BS.

Where to start.....the exhaust....the 250 tire complicates things a bit.......and I am not just looking for a set of drag pipes.....the Marshall in Readan would ticket me every time he would hear it.
Ah true, didn't take the big fat rear wheel into account... Still, though, shouldn't a muffler shop be able to fab something up with a pair of slip-ons for cheaper? After which you could have the end result chromed... Not sure which would be cheaper, I'd venture to guess the muffler/chrome shops... But, I've not looked into anything like that, so I wouldn't know...

Yours is a far cry from anything I would considering riding on.....especially with the wife on the back....
Mine was simplicity-first, and in the pic it's nowhere near done... Still, a seat pan is just a case of hammering a few contours into a shaped flat of steel, welding a few attachment chunks and support bits on the bottom, then covering with foam, sculpting, and stitching something out of leather; the rear seat even easier because it's not much more than a square... That Alligator/Stingray seat would be quite simple to make, tbh. I'd offer to make you one just like the one you linked for 1/4 the price, but I've no access to a welder or metalworking tools at the moment. :\

As to your "rich guy" comment nice try at an insult......far from "rich"......as a matter of fact I am disabled......
Didn't mean it as an insult so much to you or other members, but more as an insult to myself... I'd LOVE to be able to order things from catalogs every month... If something breaks on my vehicles, just go snag some $150.00 parts and toss 'em on, or worse pay another 200 to have someone else toss them on. Would be nice! Unfortunately, I've nowhere near the income thus must rely on saving and improvising... Hence the reason I'll have to flip my axle instead of just getting new rear suspension or a stubbier rear axle to fit my tires and wheels once I get that far...

before you flush your money down the crapper with that HF "jack"......You might want your machine to be laying on the floor because the jack gave way but that is not my idea of fun.....
I was just hoping you didn't mean a standard car floor jack, as $450 would be ridiculous. A bike jack I can understand, but a standard car floor jack would be outrageously priced at $450...

I do have to say that I wish you the best of luck with your bike......
If I ever touch it again, I'll need it!! I bought it for 80 bucks, and it only ran for me once... Then I hacked it apart, hardtailed it, threw more money at the metal than I did the bike itself, etc... It sure looks great leaning up against the wall of the shed because it has no kickstand, but it's a piece of **** Honda that I paid 80 bucks for and built just for the fun of it... Some day I might dig back into it and get it going again, but it's nowhere near finished (or anywhere near legal or safe), and thus she sits in the shed back home, rusting away....

I've since upgraded to one that at least runs; '01 Sportster 1200c... Not bad for a little grocery-getter. :)

- CK

I understand what you are saying about the exhaust but the difference between what you are talking about doing and the pipe I am getting is the same as comparing an old set old set of Blackjacks to a set of TTI's......sure the Blackjacks will get rid of the exhaust but how much are you leaving on the table? While the bike is not a sport bike it does have a 110" Rev Tech for power..and I do let it rip every time I ride it...as far as the seat goes.....well.....I am sure I could save some money by doing something different, like I did by having a friend that owns a fab shop build me handlebars but the cheaper way for me NEVER works out.....that is why I am getting new bars. Life is not always about getting by as cheaply as possible. The bike was not built out of scrap parts. While it was/is not one of the high dollar choppers it is not a rolling bucket of bolts.....

Attachments

• IMG_3071 (Medium).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 167
-
Back