Tire size for a 1974 valiant/dart

-

saabfan9

Reaction score
i'm up in the air on a tire choice. will be running stock steel wheels with stock suspension (new ss springs).... should i go with the 14" or 15"? will there be any clearance issues or will it look like over kill if i run the 15's? thinking something like a 225-60-15

does anyone have any pictures of a similar set-up?

i'm going to try 225/60/15....i feel the rear will be ok it's the clearance on the front fenders i'm worried about.
any input?

I have 235/60-15 all around on my 74.
did a tiny tiny bit of trimming on lower front fender.
You would never know if you looked.
Anyways, this is it.
Rims are 15x7 factory Mopar wheels.

Attachments

• car pics 032.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 232
I have 225/50/15s on 15x7 American Racing wheels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 207
AWESOME...thanks for posting some pics guys. as soon as mines ready i'll take some shots and share

i'm going to try 225/60/15....i feel the rear will be ok it's the clearance on the front fenders i'm worried about.
any input?

225/60/15's often rub on the front of these cars, if you are worried purchase 2 of them and try them on the front, if they rub put them on the back and buy 215's for the front.

Attachments

• IMG_00000799.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 191
225/60-15 fit perfectly (front and rear) with 7" wheels with 4.5" rear spacing. I've been running that combination for years with no problems. Anyone with rubbing issues with a 225 tire has wheels with the wrong backspacing.

225/60-15 fit perfectly (front and rear) with 7" wheels with 4.5" rear spacing. I've been running that combination for years with no problems. Anyone with rubbing issues with a 225 tire has wheels with the wrong backspacing.
Most probably try it on a 4.25 bs wheel (like mine are) and they will rub. To begin with I had mine set a tad low and at full lock it would barely rub. It happens when you go from 32" to 26" in height up front.

THANK YOU GUYS....i'll be fitting the new wheels and tires this weekend. i'll post up some pictures with results.

please any more pictures and input before i pick them up helps

I stuffed 255 rear tires on 15x7 rims and 215 up front on a 15x6 inch rim. Fit perfectly with no rubbing.

Car has SS leafs and I didnt trim the wheel well lips at all

This will fall on deaf eyes, but. Keep in mind hockey puck compound rubber sucks for 14 and 15". They aren't porting newer technology to the old sizes. They're good for burnouts because they break loose easy and the rubber is hard, that's about it.

I ran 225/60/15's on my Duster on 15x7's with a 4.25" backspace. Obviously the Duster has more room in the back, but the front clearance is identical.

I used the lower front fender corner-to-bumper braces to push the lower front fender corner out to the max the brace would allow. That was all I needed to do for the front's to clear. No issues rubbing after that.

You might have to trim the flange on the backside of the lower front fender corner back for the tire to clear when turning through to full lock. Not everyone has to, but some do. From the factory the corner of the flange at the lower front fender is square, if you cut it back at a 45* angle you should have all the room you need. It's not visible from the outside of the car really, just if you look at the backside of the fender.

This is what I'm talking about. I did this to clear my 275/35/18's in the front, it wasn't necessary for the 225's on my car at least.

IMG_1975.jpg

Last edited:
-- I stuffed 255 rear tires on 15x7 rims and 215 up front on a 15x6 inch rim. Fit perfectly with no rubbing. --
Car has SS leafs and I didnt trim the wheel well lips at all --
-- Good choice - I have same tires on My Valiant, but rears are on 15 X 8" modified rims.

Attachments

• No ID.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 158
Every Valiant that I have used 225/60/15's on rubbed on at least on side or the other on the front, you can get them to fit but you may have to do a bit of adjusting on the fenders.
If you are looking for a decent 15" 225/60/15 tire the Cooper Ultra touring.

I ran 225/60/15's on my Duster on 15x7's with a 4.25" backspace. Obviously the Duster has more room in the back, but the front clearance is identical.

I used the lower front fender corner-to-bumper braces to push the lower front fender corner out to the max the brace would allow. That was all I needed to do for the front's to clear. No issues rubbing after that.

You might have to trim the flange on the backside of the lower front fender corner back for the tire to clear when turning through to full lock. Not everyone has to, but some do. From the factory the corner of the flange at the lower front fender is square, if you cut it back at a 45* angle you should have all the room you need. It's not visible from the outside of the car really, just if you look at the backside of the fender.

This is what I'm talking about. I did this to clear my 275/35/18's in the front, it wasn't necessary for the 225's on my car at least.

Great pic. Thats exactly what I have done on a couple cars. I use blue tape as a guide, and a cutoff wheel.
Follow it up with a dab of primer/touchup paint. Done, no harm no foul.

Great pic. Thats exactly what I have done on a couple cars. I use blue tape as a guide, and a cutoff wheel.
Follow it up with a dab of primer/touchup paint. Done, no harm no foul.

Heck it's easier than that. I use a pair of tin snips. It's just sheetmetal. :D

any input?
My 2¢ FWIW: I'm running 235/60-15s on cop car wheels all around. If I had front drum brakes I'd have no problems up front. As it is with BBP DB the tires rub inside the fender under SHARP, bumpy corners. I'm planning on going to 225/60 when it comes time to replace.

i do have disc brakes (factory) and it was the back part of the fender that looks like it might be an issue

-
Back