tire width plymouth duster

-

duster89

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Does anybody know how wide tires i can put in rear on my plymouth duster -73 without modding anything?

If they are the same as a 71, then a 15x8 with a 4.5" Back space and a 275/60 15 will fit.

Every car is a little different, so I would measure to be on the safe side. Remove the back rim/tire and measure from the drum face to your closest point of interference, which is usually your fender well lip. I always suspend a piece of string with a nut on one end and secured to the inner fender well lip on the other. Also look at your wheel well housings and frame rails, this determines how far "in" you can allow for backspacing. The distance between your inner most contact point (frame, wheel well, etc.) to the fender well lip represents the theoretical tire width you can use. I would subtract 1/2-3/4" at both ends for clearance. Also, the width of the rim can affect the "bulge" of the tire sidewalls, so take that into effect. Make sure and measure both wheel wells, as I've seen an inch difference between the two before on cars I've owned. This sounds like a lot of trouble, but you can figure everything out in under 30 minutes, and really get a good tire fit. Plus, it sucks to buy tires and rims that either rub, or don't fill out the fender wells like you wanted.

73 duster 275/60/15 on stock 15 x 7 rims with 4.25" back space.
Back space is very important because most aftermarket rim manufactures have either a 4.0" or 3.75" back space which cause interference with the outer 1/4 panels.

Ny87vQ.jpg

Sireland67, How close is that tire to the spring>

About 1" I can actually measure it tomorrow, it will not rub.
I have mancini XHD springs with a 1" lowering block, there is no way the tires will rub on this car.

What rear axle is in that '73 Duster? Big bolt pattern?

I had a set of 275/40/17's on my '74 with no modifications. There were on 17x9's, spaced to 4.75" of backspace. They were a little tight on the springs, but nothing rubbed, and there was plenty of clearance to the quarters.

The BBP 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 rear axles are nearly an inch narrower than the earlier 8 3/4 axles, so the backspace needed is a little different. For either of those I would say 4.5" of backspace for an 8" rim, 4.75" for a 9" rim. With an 8 3/4 with BBP axles you'd want more like 5" of backspace.

What rear axle is in that '73 Duster? Big bolt pattern?

I had a set of 275/40/17's on my '74 with no modifications. There were on 17x9's, spaced to 4.75" of backspace. They were a little tight on the springs, but nothing rubbed, and there was plenty of clearance to the quarters.

The BBP 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 rear axles are nearly an inch narrower than the earlier 8 3/4 axles, so the backspace needed is a little different. For either of those I would say 4.5" of backspace for an 8" rim, 4.75" for a 9" rim. With an 8 3/4 with BBP axles you'd want more like 5" of backspace.

It's a stock width 8.75 out of a 70 dart.
No 1/4 panel or inner fender mods, springs in the stock location.
Axles a BBP Dr. Diff, brakes are stock 7.25 10 x 2.5"
The reason it fits so easy is 7" rims and proper back space, with 8" factory rims would probably rub.

It's a stock width 8.75 out of a 70 dart.
No 1/4 panel or inner fender mods, springs in the stock location.
Axles a BBP Dr. Diff, brakes are stock 7.25 10 x 2.5"
The reason it fits so easy is 7" rims and proper back space, with 8" factory rims would probably rub.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was asking the OP what rear axle his car has. 275's on a Duster is a proven combination with the proper backspace, but that depends entirely on what rear axle is being used.

Running 15x8 4.25" backspace with 275/60R15
3/8" clearance to stock spring location, stock 8-3/4 A body rear.
Much more room to the fender lip, not at home so no exact number, BUT this also depends on your ride height. My springs are one inch over stock.

Here's an easy chart to understand backspace, because there seems to be some confusion in the posts above. More backspace draws the tire towards the leaf springs.

Running 15x8 4.25" backspace with 275/60R15
3/8" clearance to stock spring location, stock 8-3/4 A body rear.
Much more room to the fender lip, not at home so no exact number, BUT this also depends on your ride height. My springs are one inch over stock

That's why the type of axle and bolt pattern are so important. With a SBP 8 3/4 that might be possible, but with the extra 5/16" or so you get per side from BBP axles you'd need more backspacing.

Also a great illustration of why ride height is so important. With that ride height and those springs the quarter clearance means almost nothing, you'll never hit the quarters. Lower it an inch and it's a different story.

I tried the 15x8 Rallyes 4.25 back space with the 275-60s on my 75 Dart with the 8.25 rear and they hit the springs barely but with a 5/16 spacer they are able to be mounted.... very close. I think the 15x7 wheel with the 3.75 BS would be a better fit.

-
Back