Tired 273

-

Busterme

Reaction score
So i have a super camando 273 in my formula S barracuda with a hundred twenty five thousand on her and she uses enough oil for me to consider exsesive im Shure use is out exaust. I'd say about a quart every 3rd trip 3 to 4 hundred miles. So what's worn? Everything? I haven't done plug inspection yet or compression test and i know I'll find out why but just wondering what everyone else has incountered at that mileage i see paperwork for head gaskets and some valve work at 80 thousand from original owner. So maybe rings ?

IMG_20170119_142551012.jpg

Probably rings. Compression test will help. A cylinder leakage test would tell the story.

A compression test, would be the first start..If the cylinder compression isn't within , 10-20 percent, look at the low cylinder pressure ones.. If you have reworked heads, do those receipts show anything , about seat installation? Let's start , there.....

A compression test, would be the first start..If the cylinder compression isn't within , 10-20 percent, look at the low cylinder pressure ones.. If you have reworked heads, do those receipts show anything , about seat installation? Let's start , there.....

I'm thinking valve stem seals.
With the right tools These can be replaced by removing the valve covers & valve springs.
As others stated it could be more significant like worn rings & would need a rebuild.

If it smokes when first started and clears up when warmed up it's usually valve guides/seals. If it puffs when idling or after accelerating when coasting it's worn rings. If it blows smoke all the time it's usually broken rings.

-
Back