Tis The Season... For Bikes.

-
Took the lil Yammie on her Maiden Voyage today, a short 1 mile trip (kitted out with a backpack and a helmet that matches the paint job on the bike), to set the timing on my friend's Dodge.

She ran awesome...ish. When I pulled out of my driveway I got really happy on the throttle and did a 1-2-3 Burnout with the brand new Kenda K270 Tire (gotta break it in :burnout: )

She pulled hard and fast up thru 3rd. I forgot just how fast this thing will wind out, it buries the tach needle in the blink of an eye and feels like I'm short-shifting the whole time just to keep her from smacking the redline.

Once I hit 4th though, she began to lose oomph (and still had 2 gears to go. Yeah, the little DT is a 6-Speed). It felt like she was starving for air or fuel. When I arrived at my friends, it idled HIGH, like a vacuum leak... HMMM.

A little research and some testing, she's leaning out, due to a vacuum leak. 2 things are known to cause this problem on the little DT's. 1 : The Intake Manifold/Boot is prone to cracking due to old age (they are molded rubber, after all). 2 : The Crank Seal behind the Magneto/Stator Plate sometimes pops out of its bore. Both cause a vacuum leak, so tomorrow I'm gonna pull a few parts off the bike and see what part needs to be replaced.

Above Post ^ I said screw it, I went ahead and ordered all new seals for the bottom end. If one is possibly leaking or going bad, I might as well put all new in her (even though most were replaced 8 or so years ago, when I did the 175 Top End Swap). Especially since there's only a handful of seals on the entire engine, and they're only a couple bucks each.

On another note, to add more bike ****. Here's the 1974 Honda CB200 that I wish I would have kept.

I got paid $20 to take that bike! Yeah, someone actually paid ME to take their bike off their hands. It was stuck in the guy's basement and he couldn't get it up the stairs. "I'll pay you if you can get that damn thing out of my basement."

Well... I finally found a little Honda CT70! It was a high school auto shop class project and completely restored from the ground up. The teacher bought 6 bikes in total (some complete, some basket cases) along with numerous rubbermaid containers full of parts to use as learning projects for his grade 11 and 12 students.
Mine was the last bike of the 6 that were built, so it has the most new parts on it, as the best used parts were mostly used up on the previous 5 bikes. The motor was long gone, so they retrofitted the bike with a new 125cc Lifan (Honda knock-off) engine. It is fully manual and has 4 gears.
I'm trying to take it easy on it, as the engine still isn't broke in yet, but it has been a blast to ride so far!
I think the Duster is a bit jealous!! LOL

IMG_0239 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0241 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0243 (Copy).JPG

I taught my son to ride on a CT70 years ago. My friend's dad had used it for a camping bike and it had 1700 miles on it. I gave him $600 for it and it cleaned up like new.

ct70_zpsplcpscsi.jpg

-
Back