Titles

-

Mason Moran

Reaction score
About to buy a 74 duster. I've seen the title and the guy selling it isn't listed. Should I be concerned/ what should I do about this. The vehicle isn't registered either. Just an out of state title that isn't up to date.

No Title, No Car

Sounds like he is jumping titles from the last owner without him puting it in his name.

Make sure you can get it transferred into your name before buying the car. Go to the DMV with him to get it transfered. If he bucks you can always walk away.

Do your homework and make sure the car vin matches the title vin and that it is not a title from another car.

These old cars the titles can be iffy. If you buy it you are responsible to have the car legally titled. Need the clear clean title when it comes time to resell again too.

Last edited:
It's fine as long as the buyers name area is blank, no one's name there, clear for you to sign as the buyer.

As long as the last person who is listed on the title signed it correctly in "sellers name" box then it should be fine.

I think you are also in colorado, so all out of state titles need a vin inspection which is no big deal, i have changed a few New Mexico and Wyoming titles to Colorado titles with a vin inspection...... easy

Out of state titles usually need an additional bill of sale too, which isn't required with an in state title, again no big deal.

If the title is signed off by the named person, and you have a receipt/bill of sale you're good to go- at least in my state.

Is it signed on the back by the person that it's actually titled too? 65'

It's fine as long as the buyers name area is blank, no one's name there, clear for you to sign as the buyer.

As long as the last person who is listed on the title signed it correctly in "sellers name" box then it should be fine.

I think you are also in colorado, so all out of state titles need a vin inspection which is no big deal, i have changed a few New Mexico titles to Colorado titles with a vin inspection...... easy

Out of state titles usually need a bill of sale too.
You just gave me a ton of relief. The last signature is in the sellers area and the buyer spot is open. How do I get a VIN inspection?

Depends. He is floating the title which states don't like cause they are not getting sales tax when the car was sold. If the person on the title signed it but didn't date it you should be alright. Just date it with the current date in the same ink. If it has a date from years ago you might run in to problems with the DMV.
Also the buyers line needs to be blank so you can fill in your name. If it has another buyer already signed on there then the title is pretty much void.
Alot depends on your DMV and your state laws.

Perfect, sign it and have a new title issued in your name. 65'

Oh I see your here in Colorado.
You need to take the car to the DMV or State Police for a vin search.

Depends. He is floating the title which states don't like cause they are not getting sales tax when the car was sold. If the person on the title signed it but didn't date it you should be alright. Just date it with the current date in the same ink. If it has a date from years ago you might run in to problems with the DMV.
Also the buyers line needs to be blank so you can fill in your name. If it has another buyer already signed on there then the title is pretty much void.
Alot depends on your DMV and your state laws.
The date is dated back in 2017 unfortunately

The date is dated back in 2017 unfortunately
They might give you some grief. Here they want the title transferred within 30 days. I just tell them that I bought the car and then didn't do anything with it. Kind of depends on the person at the DMV. Some are tight and some are loose.

They might give you some grief. Here they want the title transferred within 30 days. I just tell them that I bought the car and then didn't do anything with it. Kind of depends on the person at the DMV. Some are tight and some are loose.
Thanks for the help man. I appreciate it

How do I get a VIN inspection?
Last one I did (2017), I trailered the car to the dmv and a guy came out and did the vin inspection form.
You can have the colorado state patrol come to you to inspect it but they charge extra to go to you.
I did mine in El Paso County and it was was easy

Last one I did (2017), I trailered the car to the dmv and a guy came out and did the vin inspection form.
You can have the colorado state patrol come to you to inspect it but they charge extra to go to you.
I did mine in El Paso County and it was was easy
I'm also not a resident of Colorado, I moved here for school. Can I get a VIN inspection without being a resident in that state?

If the DMV person won't transfer for you just go back to another person. I had a title that that was dated a couple years earlier and the first DMV guy said that I need to have the seller retitle first. I just went back to another DMV guy and he said no problem.

Last edited:
I think jumping titles is illegal in my state. Not a bad thing to check on.

I think jumping titles is illegal in my state. Not a bad thing to check on.
It's "illegal" here too but you don't have to tell them that you bought it from someone different than the name on the title. Sometimes talking gets one in trouble when just a smile will get it done.

Like PV said the vin search is no biggie. I've bought several out of state cars. Now if it is stolen then thats a whole nother cabooty.

And if you don't have tax revenue how do you pay for road construction and the like? I'm out.
That's why they are going to screw him out of an extra hundred bucks when he gets plates as the late fee from the date singed on the back of the title. The late fee is 25 bucks a month, not to exceed 100 dollars.

They just started the late fee business in 2016, we never had that before but I guess we need more crappy roads around here lol

-
Back