To balance are not to balance

-

valiant360

Reaction score
I'm building a 360 for my valiant. pretty mild build, 4 barrel ,cam, headers etc. I already have a short block, but I dont think its been balanced. My old buddy who is helping me put this thing together keeps insisting I take it apart and have it balanced. Now I know that balancing and engine has many benifits.
Other than the longevity of the motor. On an engine that wont see over 6000rpm. Is it really worth it?

balancing rotating assembly is nice. its NOT necessary to make your 360 neutrally balanced if that is what your friend wants to do.

sb

If you have stock or factory replacement pistons you should be ok. If you've gone to forged pistons or non factory rods or crank it MUST be balanced.

FWIW, I built my 360 with eagle rods that are lighter than stock and KB pistons that are a lot lighter than stock.

When the balanced the motor a little over 200 grams was removed from each end of the crank, that's almost a pound. Can't imagine how that thing would have shaken if I hadn't had it balanced.

Every engine made by Chrysler will improve performance if it's properly balanced. Aside from shaking the parts to peices, there is a certain amount of power taken up by having to work thru bad harmonics. Cranks flex, pistons get hammered, bolts loosen up. It can be a mess. If you dont have positive proof an engine assembly has either been internally balanced, or is a totally original matched rotating assembly, then it should be balanced. Not everyone does it. But IMO, it's a step that every engine should have. My feeling is the people that dont can put up with more "stuff" than I can in regard to performance. And I can tell by sitting in a running car if the engine was or if it was messed up or not done at all.

I balance all of my rebuilds regardless of usage. Sure in some cases it is not needed but it sure doesn't hurt either.

Chuck

340mopar said:
I balance all of my rebuilds regardless of usage. Sure in some cases it is not needed but it sure doesn't hurt either.

Chuck

Same here.

I decided to do it on my 360 and after he was done he told me just how far off it was and I'm sure glad I did it. It runs like a finely oiled machine. Now I'm like 340Mopar and Ramcharger, all my rebuilds get it.

-
Back