To buy or not?

-

03JeepJeep

It's a hoot!
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know I haven't posted very much but I would like to ask a question because most of you are way smarter about these cars then me.

So I have found 2 cars that I am considering to buy. One is a 1972 Dart with a 318 that runs and drive pretty much rust free (which is hard to find around here) but is kinda plain jane. Has a bench seat, a column shift auto, ac. power brakes, power steering but thats really it. The other is a 1973 Dart Sport with a 340 but it doesn't run and the guy doesn't know how long it has been since it was started. It has been in his family for all its life and the extra features are unknown on it. The sport is a higher price then the dart but the dart is pretty much ready to roll. So what would you guys and gals do?

3G63K63F45Id5G25Jad42f3a8d4e066b51f31_zps732794c7.jpg

3Ec3Ic3N85If5L75Mbd3rc35d40dc96871116_zps2f210824.jpg

both are awesome, can you crawl underneath to see what the real rust situation is with the problem areas: trunk floor, bottom of qtr panel etc.

But all things equal, I would go Dart Sport!

I would go with the 72 dart. not a big fan of the beak noses. the 73 is prob worth more with the 340. if your looking for a fun car you can fix up as you drive then the 72 dart being a driver is the way to go. who know whats up with the 340 in the dart sport. could be junk.

Well it doesn't run and hasn't ran since 92, it was an auto car and has been converted to a 4 speed. The quarters are toasty but my thought were stay safe or take a risk on a cool car

I agree with everything everyone's posted here!!! That Dart Sport looks damn good!!....but it's all about condition and price.

If there was any structural rust on either one, I'd walk......

Nice cars both of them!

There is only one good solution to this:
-Souped up Dart Sport 340 Weekend Warrior
-Stock Dart 318 Daily Driver

Kidding aside, I'd say it depends on the cost involved and most of all what you are really looking for. The Dart would be a very nice little driver with some work, the Sport could be a really cool "muscle car" with some more work..

you said the 72 was solid and the 73 had rusted quarters? that would make my decision right there. unless you want to do a full blown resto?

The dart is pretty solid, has some rust but none of it structural.

More info coming in on 73 sport. (Talk to the owner now)

Only rust on the car is the quarter (so he says) His father bought the car brand new, it has 86k miles originally, car was parked in 92 and hasn't ran since. Car has Power Brake, Manual steering, No AC and a posi rear end. Driver seat needs repaired.

Have lots of pictures of both them if posting more would help.

My plan is to make a nice cruiser out of either one, I would like to drive it this summer. Both are not perfect but there in my price range lol

73 Dart Sport $5000 obo
72 Dart $$3900

There is only one good solution to this:
-Souped up Dart Sport 340 Weekend Warrior
-Stock Dart 318 Daily Driver
X2

if you want to be driving this summer then i think your better off with getting the dart as it is a runner already.

The sport has a lot going for it but it needs a bunch of work, are you up to doing all of it? The beak is the only thing i don't like about it.

The 72 is going to need a lot less work and it drives so you'll be more motivated and it costs less :cheers:

If your not sure how much work you want to do or how much time you have go for the 72. If you have time and can get lots of work done go with the sport.

The sport has a lot going for it but it needs a bunch of work, are you up to doing all of it? The beak is the only thing i don't like about it.

The 72 is going to need a lot less work and it drives so you'll be more motivated and it costs less :cheers:

If your not sure how much work you want to do or how much time you have go for the 72. If you have time and can get lots of work done go with the sport.

I don't mind work just time to do the work is a factor. But everything the sport has the dart can too lol. I agree the beak is bad but looks better on a sport then just a dart. They only thing I don't like about the dart is the bench seat and the column shifter. Plus I would like a manual lol

More pics! Lol oops late on the post draw lol well that sport has a lot of cancer id go with the 72

Depends a lot on which body style you prefer, and how much effort you're willing to put in.

The Sport is going to need quarters, rockers, and trunk extensions at a minimum, and that's just from what we can see. That's an easy grand in parts, and more if you're not capable of doing the metalwork yourself. You're already paying $1,100 more for the Sport, so now you're in it for over $2k more than the 72, and it still needs paint and who knows what else.

With the 72, you could pick up a used 340 and trans with the $2k, and be driving in a week. The paint doesn't look too bad, so it's ready to roll, whereas the Sport will need some time and work to look decent.

-
Back