To buy or not?

-
Rust is a *****. Period. Unless you have a body shop or really good at that sort of thing. And you have to get it all out. I did it once, never again. I bought my mopar w/o any rust.

My son and I agree, if you just want to go out an play, we go for the dart with the 318. You can spruce it up on your own timetable. Interior also looks great.

It is cheapest, ready to play and it will tell you if your family is into this lifestyle.

In this market, there will always be good deals happening.

Grassy

Thanks grassy. The dart sounds like a bit of a better deal.

My family is Mopar or no car. My grandpa started working at Chrysler in 1970 and built transmissions and possible the trans in these car could have come out of his plant. I haven't own a vehicle that wasnt a Chrysler product. First car was a 68 dart with a slant 6 haha it was a dog

Rust is a *****. Period. Unless you have a body shop or really good at that sort of thing. And you have to get it all out. I did it once, never again. I bought my mopar w/o any rust.

Agreed. I just finished replacing every piece of sheetmetal on a '69 Camaro we're building for my daughter (I know- it's not a Mopar....lol) other than the roof- quarters, trunk, full floor, wheelhouses, rockers, frame rails, cowls, etc.- and it was a royal PITA. The next project is a '65 Thunderbird we inherited from my mother-in-law, and it doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere (CA/NV car)- it'll be an easy sand/prime/paint project for my other daughter.

The next one will be a Mopar for me- probably a '69 Barracuda like the first car I had in high school, though it may end up being a '68/'69 Dart- and I'll buy the most rust-free shell I can find for that one.

The beak car needs way too much Time and money put into it. Sure it will be worth more then the 72 in the end but you'll still lose money on the beak.

If the 72 is actually clean. and not just a bondoed up pig that's the one I wouldp be buying.

check the firewall and inner fenders and frame rails on the Dart Sport..I bet they have cancer too...with the lower quarters and rockers showing what they are,..we all know the floor pans...and trunk are shot too.....I would lean 72 Swinger based on the visible rust on the Sport..........:sad8:

1972 Dart would be my choice. The Sport will end up costing a ton of money to get the body right because you will find more rust than you see now.

There's a lot you can do with that 72 (not that it needs much, but I mean, if you want to). Either drive it as-is, or put a 8.75/8.25 Sure Grip in it, 4v intake and carb, headers, better cam... really wake it up a lot, and if you're not in a hurry, you can do it for not much money. It could be a real sweet car. I'd go for that one in a heartbeat over that particular Sport 340.

The interior is always personal preference, but that interior is awesome. I'm partial, since it's the same as my 72's, but those seats are really nice, and nothing wrong with a bench seat, especially with the fold down arm rest. It's classy and sporty at the same time! To me, column shifts on a car are more retro, because hardly any car has a column shift anymore. It's part of the feel of an old cruiser to me.

Either way, enjoy it!

I would say it depends on how much of the work your able to do yourself and how much you will have to farm out. Next is how much money you can afford to throw at either car. Just going on the photos that you posted. I'm betting the dart Sport is going to have more rust issues than what meets the eye. Unless you are a body man this will cost you a bunch of money. 340 cars are cool, but the 72 Dart gets my vote. Buy and drive as opposed to buy and invest.

I wouldn't touch that 340 car with a 340 foot stick. That's too damn much money for that kind of rust, I don't care if it is a 340 car.

Get the '72 and don't look back.

more pics! Lol oops late on the post draw lol well that sport has a lot of cancer id go with the 72

depends a lot on which body style you prefer, and how much effort you're willing to put in.

The sport is going to need quarters, rockers, and trunk extensions at a minimum, and that's just from what we can see. That's an easy grand in parts, and more if you're not capable of doing the metalwork yourself. You're already paying $1,100 more for the sport, so now you're in it for over $2k more than the 72, and it still needs paint and who knows what else.

With the 72, you could pick up a used 340 and trans with the $2k, and be driving in a week. The paint doesn't look too bad, so it's ready to roll, whereas the sport will need some time and work to look decent.

x2

My opinion is.. What are your intentions?? Yeah that rust looks bad on the sport but it actually wont cost that much more to fix than the 72.. The odds of that 72 being rust and filler free are real slim so it will need to be reworked eventually.. So Even if the Sport ends up costing you few thousand more to fix up I actually think it will be the better investment 10 years from now.. That Sport is pretty cool and not real common.. Good color combo but I think the asking price is too high..JMO.

the 73 is better I think even though i detest those awful beak nosed front ends on darts.

The "beak" will grow on you.. I owned a Dart Sport and I now think the beak is cool. but I like things that are out of the norm. That Dart Sport would be a fine looking ride fixed up..

Unless you have a shop. Stay away from the rust. buy both and put the drive line in the 72. Sell whats left in parts you will come out ahead.

I would go for the 73 if it were me, but in your case you are looking for a cruiser right now so the72 looks like a better buy.
I would take a refridgerator magnet and go over the 72 real good, you may find that it is as rusty as the 73 just hidden with bondo.

No way in hell would I buy that 73. By the time you get it running, repair the rust, paint the car and take care of any other unknown surprises, you will be completely buried in that thing.

I see $10k in rust repair alone.

If a 73 is your absolute, can't live without, dream car maybe..... But even then you would be thousands ahead by just saving for a restored car.

In short.....

Get the 72 and enjoy it now.
Get the 73 and enjoy it several years from now.

Going to check both of them out as soon as I can. Basically to check each of them out to see if the pictures and descriptions I was given are correct. The 73 is a dream car car but I think there are better ones out there. The 72 would but more fun up front and I haven't seen many around. Plus I've always loved the 72 grills!

Plus with my age and what I want to do the 72 would fit it. The 73 is like what? 1-100 car or so then I wouldnt want to change much about it because of the rarity

I would buy the 72 if it were me. $ 5000.00 for a car that hasn't ran in 21 years is crazy unless it's a Hemi Car.If the 73 is a dream car drive the 72 and watch for a nice West Coast car...even with shipping you would be way ahead.

-
Back