To gasket or not to gasket, that is the question

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
The gasket set for my mid 70's 360 does not have a gasket to go between the oil pump and the rear main cap. Am I missing the gasket or does the pump without a gasket? If no gasket, how about a little black RTV?
Thanks,
Mike

I agree. I think there should be something there. I've seen gasket sets that didn't have a gasket, but I've seen some that did. Likewise, I've torn down lots of engines that had nothing there and lots that did. I think it's good insurance. I also think like Curtis. A light skim of RTV. I would use high temp though.

Oh and I'll throw this in FWIW. I am not certain Mopar EVER used gaskets between the head and exhaust manifold, yet I know most people use them, because they are included in every gasket set. Just food for thought.

Just my habit - but yes - always use a gasket. It's a thin flat paper gasket. I would not use RTV (can be forced out by pressure over time) and IMO it's not a smooth enough machined finish to go with nothing. I've yet to see a new oil pump come without one but if that's what the market's changing to I'll track something down or buy some gasket paper and make it.

405292552.jpg

Lifted this pic from Guitar Jones's thread over from the other mopar site. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...in=7547076&Words=+Wedgeman&topic=&Search=true This is all the proof I need to not run a gasket.

I used a very small amount of RTV on my 318. The engine sat for years while I saved up the money to have the car's bodywork done. When I was finally ready for the engine, I pulled it apart just to make sure no little critters had gotten inside. I pulled the pump and found that while tightening the fastners, RTV had squirted out into the outlet. If I would have run the engine, that would have broken away and could have clogged an oil passage. I've seen very thin paper gaskets in some kits but didn't use one this time.

"I've seen very thin paper gaskets in some kits but didn't use one this time"

That's the one. I'll make one before I run nothing but to each their own.

No oil pump gasket on small blocks. Big blocks have an oil pump gasket.

I always use a gasket, with rtv no issues.

If you look at the gasket in the pic above, it's obvious it was installed crooked making the side that blew out too thin. If it had been attached with some adhesive it would not have slipped and probably would not have blown out.

I've always used the thin paper gaskets that come with the oil pump. Have read others say use nothing but I'm like Moper in believing the surfaces aren't machined good enough to not use anything.

-
Back