To keep or get rid of serpentine setup

-

satchall

Reaction score
SO I just bought an A-body and the guy I bought it from halfway installed a serpentine system. Its a two belt system but he never installed a fan and I want to hook up an A/C system once I get it running so thats another thing i'll have to do. He also never hooked up the power steering but that is the second belt that isn't hooked up yet. Right now the first one drives the water pump and alternator. The motor is a small block, non original 360. Should I just go get the pulleys for the original nonserp system or is it easier to just get an electric fan and run it as is. Where could I get the original pulleys and fan? What electric fan should I use if I stay serpentine?

SO I just bought an A-body and the guy I bought it from halfway installed a serpentine system. Its a two belt system but he never installed a fan and I want to hook up an A/C system once I get it running so thats another thing i'll have to do. He also never hooked up the power steering but that is the second belt that isn't hooked up yet. Right now the first one drives the water pump and alternator. The motor is a small block, non original 360. Should I just go get the pulleys for the original nonserp system or is it easier to just get an electric fan and run it as is. Where could I get the original pulleys and fan? What electric fan should I use if I stay serpentine?
I'd go electric fan but that's me.

As for the pulleys and fan, post a wanted ad here on this forum and I bet you get a dozen responses

Find out who's serp setup it is and see if they have the stuff to add on the AC.

Adding a mechanical fan shouldn't be an issue, it would be the same with any pulley type.

You can add a mechanical fan to the serpentine setup? Here are some pics of the setup.

IMG_6766.JPG

That is a March Performance serpentine setup. Go to their website and buy the bracket for a/c. Same setup I have on my engine.

Any ideas why the previous owner might not have put the power steering on besides not having the belt? Where is the tensioner on this system btw?

... Should I just go get the pulleys for the original nonserp system ...
"just" can be a big word. There were many different V-belt routings and pulleys, even for the same engine in the same year, depending on accessories. People here have gone crazy trying to find a matching setup. Best to get it all together from the same engine. Ex., there were 3 different power steering pumps used over the 1960-70's, all with different brackets.

-
Back