To rebuild or buy crate

-

4mopwr

Reaction score
Hey guys thought I would pass this by anyone who has the same question.....

I have this project I'm working on it's going to be a driver/ weekender.
Machine shop wants $12k to rebuild and dyno old block with new everything, then you see crate motors for for $6 - 7k like from Summit jegs or Blueprint.
Is it worth the 5- 6k difference for a custom build engine for a driver.
They say you get what you pay for so, are crate vendors building cheap motors with a warranty?
Not talking down any business, just wondering how they can do it.

Thanks.

Blueprint has quite a good reputation for crate engines and there are several here who have purchased them. @Johnny Mac is a rep for Blueprint Engines, perhaps he will chime in

Last edited:
I’d rather have a blue print engine myself, especially with where I live. There isn’t many machine shops around I’d trust to build a mopar engine.

Its tough to run a business in many ways. 12K seems high for a street motor.

If the choice is 12K vs a nice crate.......crate is my vote.

Fordstrokers

These guys have pretty nice lookin long blocks for 10K. Is the machine shop using as quality parts?

If so, is the 1K extra worth the dyno? Maybe......but for a streeter I'd still be lookin at blueprint.

I hate to admit it but this motor is a sbf (not mine).
Then you have even more options from Blueprint

I’d look up these guys for a SBF

IMG_3321.png

I’d rather have a blue print engine myself, especially with where I live. There isn’t many machine shops around I’d trust to build a mopar engine.
There is a really good builder in Portland that does Mopar’s. He’s a one man shop and builds a bunch of Mopar’s. He mainly builds drag motors, but will do street engines. He’s in the middle of restoring his formula s…

Thank you everyone for tagging me in. If you've never seen our facility, and are unfamiliar with our size, then i invite you to watch a few videos on us, and you'll see that we have the means to provide quality at an extremely affordable price. Everything we build with heads and a pan, is dyno tested before it goes out the door. Even the bare long blocks. It's a QC check we incorporate into every build. Our most basic 302, to our 1000 HP Hemi's get dyno'd. We've grown to this size through years of hard work, and improving, and designing more and more in house parts so we control our own QC and supply chain. We've recently launched our own ford based engine block, so every ford is 100% brand new, including the BPE block! We've done GM blocks for years, and the BPE hemi block is close to beta builds. pretty cool stuff. please shoot me any questions i can help with!!!
Ford Compatible we have ford options from 5200- 30K complete engine/trans/pulley drivelines all assembled as a package.

hope to hear from the OP or his buddy soon!

plan tour vid!

Last edited:
You have to compare what you are getting exactly for $12k. The devil is in the details.

You have to compare what you are getting exactly for $12k. The devil is in the details.
Thats fair. We offer $5000 engines, and $25000 engines. 12K for a "Rebuild" of any kind sounds insane to me, considering what we can offer with a 30 month warranty, fully dyno tested, 100% new parts, BLOCK INCLUDED, fully forged, for. 302 blocks are notorious for becoming two, 4 cylinder engines around the 500 HP mark, so again a "rebuild" for 12K....yikes. Our new blocks have increased deck thickness, strength webbing in the valley, girdle, and rear bell area, plus priority main oiling, 4 bolt mains, yada yada.

I got the same response as you did and it took me months to even get a quote after pestering the shop.
Went with a blueprint crate and haven't looked back. Good luck.

Blueprint crate motor, 100%.

(The other answer, for something NOT offered in a crate, such as a big block mopar ... or Studebaker,...or Packard.... or whatever).

Then again, if it's the original, numbers matching 289 out of a k-code mustang, a Shelby, or a Cobra, .......?

What is the engine going in. There are a lot of fords I like. I am particularly fond of 55-58 Fords!

Crate engines are way cheaper because they buy all the parts that they use in bulk. I personally know a guy that has a 383 chevy stroker from blue print and he's very happy with it.

I got the same response as you did and it took me months to even get a quote after pestering the shop.
Went with a blueprint crate and haven't looked back. Good luck.
I went to the shop I have used or years to get my heads rebuilt and they were so busy they weren't even accepting work.

I had my engine build "locally" by someone who was a very respected member on here

Mine was one of the last engines he build and it had a few little issues
He also dropped of the board shortly after he build mine and then his reputation began to crumble

Long story short, if I had to so it again I'd spend a little less and get a blueprint engine with a warranty

Unless you are in love with a number matching block, at this point I see no reason to rebuild instead of buying a new one

(Not speaking of building your own here)

Portland engine rebuilders has built all my engine's and all my customers and never a problem... fyi...
But that blueprint warranty is tuff to beat...

Keep in mind some of my customers stuff is not typical hot rod stuff like a toyota land cruiser, straight six or a straight six out of a old dodge truck...

I'd go with a shop that has a good reputation we have a few around here my last stroker I picked all the parts and they did all the machining cost about $9k total!!

Just got done with a budget build 273. Added up parts and labor, $4700.00. Really hard to find good machine shops. Just after Covid shops were having problems getting employees back. Here locally it was they had a long waiting list and put priority on ther regular racer customers. When the local track was on the verge of closing down their waiting list dwindled. All of a sudden I would get calls from shops now wanting my business.I usually responded by telling them to call their high priority racer buddies. I’ve noticed that several have closed down.

-
Back