To Remove The Valve Cover Do I Have To......

-

doc540

Reaction score
remove the heater box from the firewall of my '61 Lancer?

It sure looks tight, and I don't want to tear into it without knowing what's going to be involved.

Thanks

Attachments

• lancer slant6c.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 320
I have never done one but it certainly appears that's the case.

You DO have a factory shop manual for your year car, right? It will give you the correct procedure for doing this job.

You DO have a factory shop manual for your year car, right? It will give you the correct procedure for doing this job.

If I could've found it in the manual I wouldn't have asked a simple yes or no question.

Thanks for nothing.

looking at the design of the heater box yes it will have to be removed.

If you can post how much room is between the bottom of the heater box and the valve cover top, it would help. The valve cover will have to come straight up I imagine at least 2" to clear the rocker gear, if that helps any. Sorry there is no clear answer yet.

Nope....61-62 had a early valve cover that dipped down in the back.
Take the bolts off, and pop it off.

Take the screws off, and pop it off.

Well hot dog! Hopefully it has the right valve cover on it so he can do that. Thanks Johnny. I knew somebody would know.

Take the bolts off, and pop it off.

I thought I saw that somewhere quite awhile back, but I didn't remember enough of the details to post.
Nice job man.

That is this one correct?

Attachments

• $_35.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 265
thanks

engine's had a Clifford makeover before I got it, so they may not have used the right valve cover

will snap a pic tomorrow

Well shoot, now that I look at the pic closer, it seems you have a late model valve cover on it. Hmm.
I do know there is an early valve cover with a dip in the back to clear the early firewall, which stuckout.
This protruding firewall on the 62 A body,made a V8 swap difficult.

Anyways, take the bolts off, and see if it comes out.

Well shoot, now that I look at the pic closer, it seems you have a late model valve cover on it. Hmm.
I do know there is an early valve cover with a dip in the back to clear the early firewall, which stuckout.
This protruding firewall on the 62 A body,made a V8 swap difficult.

Anyways, take the bolts off, and see if it comes out.

Perhaps it would be better to adjust the valves when we do the A/C install and remove the heater box on the firewall.

Thanks

I thought the earliest valve covers were straight across and later they put the dip in the back to clear things. Then they just kept the dip in all of them.
Like in this pic of a 73 slant...

IMG_0665web_zps3afejxxu.jpg

I got a 60 and its flat, I got a 67 and it has the dip in the back..other way around? That would make much more sense that it would have a dip to clear the old heater plenum.

If you do end up pulling the heater cover it might be a good time to replace the heater core.

man - I thought the 70's A Bodies were tight!!

The early cars were totally designed "around" the "new and revolutionary" slant six. It sure shows with the 63 and prior cars, too.

Those slants are very prone to needing adjustment from time to time. It's all got to come off regardless.

The OP has a later valve cover; the early ones are flat as said. Plus, the '61 mostly (or all) had a road draft tube in the back hole of the cover and no 3rd hole for a PCV; some models had a PCV in the '61 or '62 model years (I will guess CA models), but it looked quite different and is in the back hole in the cover, with a stovepipe filler/breather up front. Otherwise there is just a road draft tube down the back by the oil filter. Plus the oil filler shown is a later model; the early ones have the stovepipe breather/filler in the front with what looks to be horsehair as a filter media !

To remove the cover, I'd disconnect the rear trans cross-member and lower the rear of the trans a bit that to gain clearance if that is needed. And I searched my '62 FSM for the Lancer model and it makes not mention that I can find of how to do this.

Here is a pix of the '62 Dodge valve cover with road draft tube and stovepipe breather/filler:

Attachments

• DSCN1885.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 137
That looks like my 60. flat but I have to check the rear stovepipe.

my 62 lancer with a 170 is bone stock. I have always heard the 60-1 lancer/ valiant had quite a few differences from the 62. my car has a 170 slant, and there is 3 inches between heater box and valve cover, the valve cover is like the 63-6 valve covers I have, except on the 225 the raised part of valve cover is very slightly taller, and my 62 has that vent pipe.

I can't see by your pic if your heater box is different than my 62. . I have 60 and 61 FSM but I can't tell anything about the heater box design from their pics, just how to take it apart to service heater core, the details to adjust lash, just says take off valve cover!!!!

I have read where the 60-1 lancer had some similar traits as the earlier cars, but the 62 were changing..... good luck

-
Back