To run cutouts or not run cutouts, that is the question.

-
I went with the Summit brand partly because i had a $70 gift cert. and the reviews were pretty good. I've only had them a week so I can't speak to longevity.

Also I'm running 2 1/2" exhaust and you're running 3" so I wouldn't guarantee a .2 improvement, but the fun factor is worth it.

here's the latest pic:

Attachments

• IMG_0901.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 228
The only cutouts I would put on my little 367, would be automatic and instant open/closed; synchronized to load.Then I could put a teeny single exhaust out to the back tires with a lightweight muffler, or maybe no muffler at all.I'd probably lose 100 pounds or more. That 3 inch TTI system with Dynomaxers weighs 140plus pounds.
Somebody should step up and build those snap-open,snap closed, valves. I haven't got 7 seconds to wait.
And I'm not into advertising how fast or powerful I think my car is.I already know that.It goes 93 in the eighth, with the 325DRs spinning almost all the way. In town the speed limit is 30 to 35 mph.Even a teener can spin up to that, so I'd be fooling no one.And as for parades, I didn't build it to parade it.
As a streeter, if I had a stroker, I'd be trying to think of ways to quiet it down at WOT, cuz it already has gynormas power.
Anyways, I'm one of those older guys. I'll be 63 this summer, and truly blessed with tremendously good health; thank you Lord!

Anyways, I'm one of those older guys. I'll be 63 this summer, and truly blessed with tremendously good health; thank you Lord!

You're not much older than I am. But then again I ride a Harley too so I like the noise:burnout: and I'll be 63 before the end of this year.:glasses7:
BTW my health is good just not my hearing:D

I believe my eyesight and hearing is better now than it ever was. I still wear glasses for driving tho.
If I had money I might ride a Harley too. But I don't want to work on them anymore. So I'd have to pay somebody else. But then again our riding season is pretty short, an we seem to get a lot of rain these years.

There's nothing more valuable in my book, than good health and a sound mind.

I'm only 53, but thankfully I'm already damn near deaf. I'm going to do it. I like the loud exhaust. I run a stroker and at WOT it's not as loud as you would think. My brother thinks I'm crazy to run cutouts, but I like the loud on occasion, and I can quiet it down if I want. I'm too old and fat to fit under the car for manuals anyway. Electric it is!

I went with the Summit brand partly because i had a $70 gift cert. and the reviews were pretty good. I've only had them a week so I can't speak to longevity.

Also I'm running 2 1/2" exhaust and you're running 3" so I wouldn't guarantee a .2 improvement, but the fun factor is worth it.

here's the latest pic:

Notice how he had to turn one way up into the body? If you don't cut the flange, rotate it, and re-weld it, that's what you're going to end up doing. If not, you have to install one cutout backwards which is what I did. There's no way I could even install mine like that. The kit they send you is made for one side only and yet send you two sets of the same side which is retarded because they won't mirror each other! There's another reason I vote against summit brand.

I like the position of the one on the left, I wish I could get the other to that spot.
I had to drill new holes in the flange on the rite side to even get to that position. I couldn't rotate it any higher due to the frame connector on that side. the exhaust is closer to the connector on the rite side.
I did think about switching the exhaust with the cutouts, then the motor would be in a more favorable position, but that would be a lot of rework.
I do agree with you a rite and left would be helpful.

Attachments

• 1201122200.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0901.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 197
I've tried about 3 different brands of electric cutouts on my '70 E-Body. Some drifted open and leaked, others just quit working. My buddy had a pair of QTP's on his car for over a decade until we smashed one on a big whoop-de-do at 80 mph down near the LA desert. I put a fresh set on his car, and they are still working flawlessly to this day. I recently had to swap out my last cutouts, so I bought a set of QTP's, and have not had any problems with them so far yet either.

The trick to getting great sound with cutouts is to mount them within a few feet of the header collector. Closer is better. I never buy the install kit. Instead, I buy the cutouts separate and order them with two pairs of header collector extensions. I also order a foot long ovalized megaphone exhaust tip to attach to the outlet pipe.

A lot of people install the cutout with no extension, and the sound is harsh and un-appealing to the human ear. The addition of a small section of exhaust pipe along with the ovalized megaphone greatly enhances the sound quality from the engine. I noticed the same improvement on my tail pipes when I installed the same tips on them. It makes a huge difference. The effect is the same on horned musical instruments. It sweetens and enhances the sound to the human ear. Imagine how "tube-like" music would be from horn sections without the flared ends on the musical instruments. It would suck. Believe it or not, the same thing goes here. It makes a huge difference. A directional tip helps, but its not the same as a megaphone.

RaceReady performance. Guaranteed for life. Period. Pricey but if you're gonna use em, might as well buy the best. Mine are 6 years old now.......no winters, of course.

Lot of open/close cycles over the years and no probs yet. AND......you get a left and a right!

RaceReady performance. Guaranteed for life. Period. Pricey but if you're gonna use em, might as well buy the best. Mine are 6 years old now.......no winters, of course.

Lot of open/close cycles over the years and no probs yet. AND......you get a left and a right!

I had a set of Race Ready's and they always drifted open slightly. I called the tech guy, and he told me it's a known issue. I returned then, and they gave me a full refund.

here's the latest pic:

I have those same exact ones on my dart. See video on first page of thread. I highly suggest that you take out the extremely tiny set screws they have holding the valve to the shaft and place locktite on them. The ones on mine vibrated loose and fell off on the road at some point driving and the shaft would just rotate and wouldn't close the valve.

I have those same exact ones on my dart. See video on first page of thread. I highly suggest that you take out the extremely tiny set screws they have holding the valve to the shaft and place locktite on them. The ones on mine vibrated loose and fell off on the road at some point driving and the shaft would just rotate and wouldn't close the valve.

Thanks for the tip:thumbup: I'll do that before I any miles on them.

I will second what JBC said the sound with and without extentions. I've run mine straight open and now with the turn downs they are less harsh. just a smoother sound than without.

no cutouts for me, I let the exhaust pressure do the talking. lol
most know when I'm blowing by.

I like to fabricate everything that i possibly can. I dont like the idea of climbing under the car. Ive heard alot of bad electric rwviews and i really dont like the price. I just installed my stainless exhaust and i made my own lever accuated cut outs. I havent had time to fab the mechanism but they wil be cable driven from the center console

View attachment 20160323_214528.jpg

View attachment 20160323_214501.jpg

-
Back