to smooth Power Steering

-

Tyrol Mopar

Reaction score
Hi

I had a to smooth Power Steering and I think the old Power Steering Gear Box are used up .
A more direct Steering are build with the Power Steering oil pressure , or ?
How I can get a more modern Power Steering with a better handling ?

Thx for help

put in a search, Pump It Down....EASY. It will tell you how to modify your existing pump for better road feel.

Jeff

When there is nothing wrong with the OEM steering gear, some have added spacer washers in the OEM pumps pressure regulator so a little more effort is required and a little more feedback is produced. One of several magazine/online articles was titled "Pump It Down".

BnB Damn Were Smooth.jpg

THX for the "Pump it up " Threat . I try this at first befor I change the Gear Box ore something other .
I have to drain the servo oil before I expand the Power Steering Pump Valve Assembly ?
The Power Steering vent herself with left / right steer to stop or how I could get the air out ?

How thick must the washer be for a great handling and steering feeling ?
I have found a washer with 0.088

Last edited:
Separate the high pressure hose from the pressure valve assembly. The pump and reservoir will drain empty and that high pressure hose might drool a bit and develop a small air pocket. Not really enough to be concerned with. Screw the valve out of the back of the pump, mod it, put it back with a new O ring.
I don't have a clue about washer thickness other than what I read. I suppose its trial and error to meet individual taste. Anyway... once back together, fill to half the reservoir neck, run it and steer stop to stop. Recheck fluid level after any foam clears.

I used two washers from an old pump. Someone said the thickness sorry can't remember who.

Jeff

THX alot for everybody`s help .
In the "Pump it Down ... Easy " Post are a pic with the other washer where came in
with 0.0825 .
My metric translater have problems with this diameter , so could someone tell me
how much metric mm (millimeters) this be ?
In Europe a nomal standart washer have 5 mm ( 0,5 cm ) .
Copper sealing washers are thinner .

If that is inches, .0825", then the metric conversion is 2.0955 mm

-
Back