To Tall

-

moparornocar101

Reaction score
:banghead:I have a 1965 Barracuda that had a 273 4 speed.
The motor had been pulled and was long gone.
But it still had the 4-speed.
When i put in the 318 the motor now sets to high.
the oil pan is setting on the k-member so it wont go any lower.
And the carb is to high to close the hood.
Much less put on the air breather.
Where did i go wrong?

if the oil pan is sitting on the k member, im guessing the motor mounts are not working either

Possibilities are wrong oil pan for your 65 and someone changed the draglink to the /6 one when selling it and wrong motor mount rubbers and or motor mount brackets on the engine. My 1st guess would be that you are trying to use 67 up motor mount rubbers which are 1/2 as thick as 66 and earlier ones and that is where you start.

But he says the pan is resting on the K member. It seems as if he needs a different pan.

is this car an original V8 car? if it already had a V8 in it ,then the problem is going to be the pan. even with a /6 k member, with the correct pan, motor mounts and centerlink, it should still bolt up.

Vehicle Identification Number: v85*****59
Vehicle Model: Valiant V8/Barracuda V8
Vehicle Class: Barracuda/Belvedere Taxi
Vehicle Body Style: N/A
Vehicle Engine: N/A
Vehicle Year: 1965
Vehicle Assembly Plant: Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
Assembly Sequence Number: 567059

But he says the pan is resting on the K member. It seems as if he needs a different pan.

hmm could that be the motor mounts are not on right to the engine ?? ie the ears in the back of the casting instead of the front? that'd set it forward enough to hit wouldn't it? I haven't looked at my v8 66 yet to make sure but I seem to remember something about where it mounts makes a big difference

hmm could that be the motor mounts are not on right to the engine ?? ie the ears in the back of the casting instead of the front? that'd set it forward enough to hit wouldn't it? I haven't looked at my v8 66 yet to make sure but I seem to remember something about where it mounts makes a big difference

That could be. But would that not create other issues such as the trans not lining up if it were sitting too far forward.

The same K-member was used for slant and V-8 in 1965, so that can't be the problem. The 318 block is identical externally to the 273, so not the problem. Only the 360 block differs in different motor mount ears and a larger rear bearing diameter (special oil pan needed).

I had later thin mounts on my 273 initially to try for more hood clearance (plus cheaper), then swapped to the original thick ones so my later Federal pump cleared the K-member. The oil pan was above the K-frame with both. Of course ~1" higher now with the thick mounts, and I need that since I found the steering linkage just barely clears the starter (apparently hit originally, see my post). I didn't have the steering on then w/ the thin mounts. Anyway, I think you require the original thick mounts to clear your steering. Pretty sure my steering linkage is for V-8 since that is the fender tag. My 64 slant's linkage is currently off and looks almost identical. I'll try to measure and see if the V-8 one actually drops more (maybe 1/2"?).

I am at a loss as to why your oil pan sits on the K-frame. That sure won't work. Best theory is that your engine is too far forward (66Dvert). Post photos. The distributor should be real close to the firewall. That is why they put a recess for it. People w/ 64's must bash in their firewall to install a V-8. Otherwise, you should have hood clearance with say an Edelbrock Performer 318, but may need a drop base air cleaner and 2" element, depending on carb. Is your Street Master a tall long plenum type? You might need to cut a hood scoop for that.

That could be. But would that not create other issues such as the trans not lining up if it were sitting too far forward.
I don't think it would affect (SP) the trans to engine bolt but would the trans mount to crossmember (i seem to remember that I did it once and couldn't get it to line up with the trans mount until I had a DUH! moment and move the mounts to the correct position, but that was 273 to 273 replacement

I don't think it would affect (SP) the trans to engine bolt but would the trans mount to crossmember (i seem to remember that I did it once and couldn't get it to line up with the trans mount until I had a DUH! moment and move the mounts to the correct position, but that was 273 to 273 replacement

That's what I was getting at.

-
Back