Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get that reman 5.2 long block and add some sort of what I posted and spend less that $3000 for about 330 HP. That is a mild cam too, there are hotter rollers for around $350. where the switch to rollers costs more is in the retro lifters for the short lifter bore of a LA. The Mag block has taller lifter bores and a set of new ones are like $5.85 each from Rock auto, but the reman 5.2 long block has these already.....
Yeah I'm not sure how much a guy could shave off of that reman by going to the local shop? But yeah those reman motors have pretty much all the expensive stuff on them

I beg to differ. I prefer HP and let the torque come in where it will. Convertor and gear is my huckleberry.
Screenshot_20210813-151755.png

:lol:...

Yep four speed car it liked 11/7 but plenty of 11 fives and one 11.4... @120mph
That same supermodel went to the final four in the stick shift class at the Mopar Nationals the year before this last...
His good looks got him that far...
That same supermodel now enjoys no role cage his cold AC and blowing nitrous out his Purge button LOL.. still looking good...
Ain't he a handsome devil...
View attachment 1715781119
I love my Florida Sunshine but I wonder if I would be such a handsome devil if I snowmobile too!!..
:lol:..

Your definitely not YR then LOL, YR and I think hp does every thing and hp is torque and rpm. What you call torque is just low end "rpm" hp.

I guess that depends on your math. You have to measure torque and calculate horsepower. You can’t have horsepower without torque.

I beg to differ. I prefer HP and let the torque come in where it will. Convertor and gear is my huckleberry.

Are we talking about race cars, street cars or race cars driven on the street? If you want horsepower to do the work, you need deep gears, loose converters and high rpm. All that is hard on parts. I’m not a cheapskate, but I value value. Making horsepower sounds good on paper, but in real life it’s too expensive for my tastes.

I could care less if 448Scamp is YR. I can't say he is .
I got along with YR and have no problem with the 448Scamp.
FWIW you should get Tim/ YR out of your head.
I got all three of them on ignore LOL not in my head I've got too many other things to think about... Of course from time to time I unlock a page to see why I'm missing 10 of the post...lol.. and then I'm completely astonished that nobody's picking up on it... For most are like yourself who just really don't care pass it over and I don't either quite honestly but I'm not going to fall for it... You know I'm not into the name calling.... Especially via the Internet...
One thing I can tell you I sure like that bigdummy guy from Florida!!!
:D..

I put you on ignore for a short 24 hrs so I could read this thread without sifting through the slough. Worried about the bandwidth ??? Stop posting :)

Or, you could stop posting grade school stuff. Sounds like a better plan. Unless of course you don’t like a dialogue where you are losing.

Converter and gear will always cover up a lack of bottom end torque. Unfortunately, that works much better in a purposed race car. Not so much for daily's that leave the county a lot.

Isn’t that what I said? Driving around on a 3.90 or higher gear is not fun. So you agree with me on that?

Agree, that's where a 440 or stroker comes in. lol
There comes a point when anything under 383 cubes will be hampered by no low RPM torque as the HP goes up.

I agree. I’d take a big block all day, every day. Just seems like a better plan.

I could care less if 448Scamp is YR. I can't say he is .
I got along with YR and have no problem with the 448Scamp.
FWIW you should get Tim/ YR out of your head.

I agree. It clogs up threads and makes few guys feel better. It was debunked, but some can’t get their head around it.

Or, you could stop posting grade school stuff. Sounds like a better plan. Unless of course you don’t like a dialogue where you are losing.
you seem to not be able to stay away from the childrens play equipment.... And if you truly just showed up, LOL, you got a lot to learn if you think I'm losing... :D :D

you seem to not be able to stay away from the childrens play equipment.... And if you truly just showed up, LOL, you got a lot to learn if you think I'm losing... :D :D

The only thing you are winning is the hypothetical nonsense thread award, backed by your sycophants. That’s not a win.

Isn’t that what I said? Driving around on a 3.90 or higher gear is not fun. So you agree with me on that?
It's not rocket science. Some want a car that goes out of town, pins their friends to the seat, and shut 'er down. IF you know ANYTHING about me and my cars, you know we travel in our cars crossing states.....

I got all three of them on ignore LOL not in my head I've got too many other things to think about... Of course from time to time I unlock a page to see why I'm missing 10 of the post...lol.. and then I'm completely astonished that nobody's picking up on it... For most are like yourself who just really don't care pass it over and I don't either quite honestly but I'm not going to fall for it... You know I'm not into the name calling.... Especially via the Internet...
One thing I can tell you I sure like that bigdummy guy from Florida!!!
:D..

He has 3 guys on ignore, but he doesn’t know who they are. You can get help for that.

The only thing you are winning is the hypothetical nonsense thread award, backed by your sycophants. That’s not a win.
naw... we brought enough of you and your likes with us... all the way to page 51 and narrowing on 1300 post. You'll not find me making tons of posts in threads I have no use or interest. You can't stay out of this one. This is when I know I'm significant in your head. :)

It's not rocket science. Some want a car that goes out of town, pins their friends to the seat, and shut 'er down. IF you know ANYTHING about me and my cars, you know we travel in our cars crossing states.....

Maybe so, but do you travel across the state on 3.90’s or higher? You built the box, I’m trying to stay in it.

naw... we brought enough of you and your likes with us... all the way to page 51 and narrowing on 1300 post. You'll not find me making tons of posts in threads I have no use or interest. You can't stay out of this one. This is when I know I'm significant in your head. :)

Just playing you like a fiddle.

Maybe so, but do you travel across the state on 3.90’s or higher? You built the box, I’m trying to stay in it.
My gearing in my cars start at 2.76 and go to 4.30's. However, couple years ago we went through 9 states with 3.55's in a full time 4x4. I avoid interstates if I can with the oldies. Pay attention... you'll learn that I like highway gears.

Just playing you like a fiddle.
I like the thread and it's idea. Oh, I'm the op, of course !! Why are you here?? you hate the idea, the concept, and everything about it. Whose being played ?? LOL

Not anymore, I only drive a few times a year just to clear out the cobb web's.
4.10 gear and 3" Hooker Max Flo mufflers make for a uncomfortable ride. lol

Head'n out now to another state in our '64...... I'll catch up when I get back later. I'm sure there will be another 3 pages... half of them you... LOL enjoy :)

My gearing in my cars start at 2.76 and go to 4.30's. However, couple years ago we went through 9 states with 3.55's in a full time 4x4. I avoid interstates if I can with the oldies. Pay attention... you'll learn that I like highway gears.
I never built anything with a 2.76 gear that would perform up to my liking .

Most of my cars came with 2.76 open gears. I replaced a lot with 3,23's and 3.54's.

I had a 1965 Dart GT that had the tow pack. It came with A 904 and 3.23 SG 8 3/4, heaver springs, 10 inch drums and a 20 gallon second fuel tank in the spare tire well. I stripped most of the tow package and put 4.10's in it. Drove it off and on when I was home from Germany on leave.
Then in 1984 I got stationed at Ft Gordon GA and drove, due to snow, the southern route 3500 miles from Seattle WA. SUCKED! But it was the only car I had.

Last edited:
Are we talking about race cars, street cars or race cars driven on the street? If you want horsepower to do the work, you need deep gears, loose converters and high rpm. All that is hard on parts. I’m not a cheapskate, but I value value. Making horsepower sounds good on paper, but in real life it’s too expensive for my tastes.

This the engine I got the 380hp 5.9l Magnum which dyno 409hp at peak and only varies 14hp from 5000-6000 rpm, but under this torque doesn't take over, when your under 5000 rpm torque is not now the power your using it's whatever hp @ rpm your at during your acceleration aka 230hp @ 3000 rpm, 333 hp @ 4000 rpm, 396 @ 5000 rpm, 409 @ 5400 rpm thats what moving your at those rpm's. If your engine is geared so you spend almost no time main powerband 4000-6000 rpm and spends more time in the 3000-4000 rpm range it's gonna act more like a 333 hp engine instead of a 409 hp one.

1509108-830a9ac8cd65675a77902ff2011e388f.jpg

What I get from what your saying, Is say a street car is idle-5000 rpm you want to peak in the 5000 rpm area. So since rpm is fixed There's only one main way to increase NA hp which is torque and Torque is mainly a product of displacement which is where the saying Torque is King, No replacement for displacement etc.. so yes a well put together 318 and 340 in these rpm ranges peaking at the same rpm the 340 will have a stronger hp and torque curve through the whole power band.
But still whatever part of the rpm range your talking about off idle low mid high well over peak power etc.. it's hp moving, accelerating towing crusin etc.. your vehicle which is the combed effort torque and rpm, torque is one powerstroke and hp is all of them added up per minute aka rpm.

But If were building to the same hp then the power "hp" curve could be the same but the rpm's will be different, cause everyone goes on about static displacement aka non running engine 318 340 etc.. but a running engine displacement is dynamic and we measure it in cfm's and a 318 needs more rpm to displace the same amount of air maybe 0-800 rpm more depending how well built and yes a 318 will need more gear and stall etc.. but doesn't automatically make it a race car now depending on what power level were talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back