Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
For 3k any of you dirt poor types can build it. I didn’t bring the power thing into it. Some other dude did. T me reiterate my position because this thread is wandering through the abyss. Point 1. This thread is stupid because of the silly budget limit proposed by the OP. Of course, this one done to make the OP correct in his poll and opinion. Point 2 is I can show you average machine shop prices that will prove that 3k is a stupid budget. I don’t do an engine that hasn’t had the blocked decked or the main line corrected. I just won’t do it. It’s penny wise and pins foolish. I always replace the damper with an ATI or at least a BHJ damper because it’s cheap money. I don’t use OE rods either. You can buy a better rod with 7/16 bolts that are far better than OE for about the same money as rebuilding OE rods. I won’t use a piston with 5/64 rings. I don’t build tractor engines and those rings are terrible. So as I said, add up and pretty simple rebuild and it ain’t 3k. Not even close. Almost forgot. I don’t use OE oil pans either. 4 quarts in the pan is just dumb especially if you want to be hard on the engine. You can buy a really nice Kevco pan for cheap money. Again, OE pans are penny wise and pound foolish. I won’t do it. So maybe this clears it up for you cheapskates. Build it as cheap as you can and then brag about it.

you still miss the point, this isn't meant to be a race motor so doesn't 'need' the extra machining steps you 'always' do. most people putting a budget motor together 'will' reuse stock parts (rods etc), 'won't' have the block decked and mains honed, 'won't' fit a new damper, 'won't' fit a new pan and most likely 'will' use 5/64 rings. we don't all have your budget, it's that simple. it doesn't matter how often you say what you would do, mostly for a budget build it won't happen. we'd all love to afford to build motors your way, but the money isn't there. you just won't accept that so keep throwing the 'cheapskate, dirt poor types' card at the thread. it's boring now.

Should this be in the news and politics section!

When i first saw the post, i thought this would be informative. Right now in my life, $3k is what i can swing for a motor build, I was interested. I sold my 73 340 with a bad thrust bearing. used that money for the junkyard roller 360 with 518. Shelved the 518 for a later date. I have a few hundred runs on the 360.

I keep a running 318 for 2 reasons. If the 360 blew up, i could swap the engine in a day and be back at the track...with a new dial in. 2nd reason, what would i get for it, $100...if im lucky, $200. It can sit. Not to mention, if you leave our parts sit long enough...$$$$$. should never have sold that 340.

I'm one of those interested in the 318 builds. I got a kick out of Lunar/UTG build. If they wouldnt have rushed it they would have caught the lifter issue.

If i had the deep pockets some of those here have, it would be a 426/528 hemi or gen 3 hellcat with 8spd trans. with ac.

I thought we all agreed, an old A-body rolling down main street is better than any chevy or ford. it doesnt matter if its a 318 426 or 440. A friend of mine wanted and old dodge cause i had one. He started looking at prices...he's now looking at mustangs. $$$$ was the big reason. He thinks you need big money to go fast. I think its know how, which is why im on FABO.

Some measure the worth of man and whatever by the number of $$$$$$ they can spend' FBBO??
Some measure the worth by the amount of work a man can do and what he can accomplish with the least $$ invested? FABO??:poke::thumbsup::thankyou:

You guys continue to crack me up trying to relate your ETs to horsepower output. That is wholly inaccurate! If you want to figure your FLYWHEEL horsepower as it ran, its simple, use the wallace calculator, input the TRAP speed in MPH, and your starting line weight. That will give you a much more accurate idea of your actual HP

You guys continue to crack me up trying to relate your ETs to horsepower output. That is wholly inaccurate! If you want to figure your FLYWHEEL horsepower as it ran, its simple, use the wallace calculator, input the TRAP speed in MPH, and your starting line weight. That will give you a much more accurate idea of your actual HP
And that's really generic, at best.. Somebody could still be running the 3800 stall from GER and spend 1250 ft of the 1320 just revving and not going... been there and done that, got the T-shirt !!! LOL. Changed converters and the mph went up and the ET came down. In my case, I didn't add a stitch of hp, and my mph went up.

So now we're counting carb and exhaust toward the budget??? Good luck with that budget now - on either engine.
Freshened 318 magnum, you will still have have around $1,500 for cam, intake, exhaust and carb if you want to run a carb or run fuel injection and get the ecu reprogrammed for your application for $250

Carb & intake = 235 bucks......
Speedmaster intakes are 135 shipped to your door on Black Friday. Also, many nice used intakes that go for 100 bucks. Plenty of 100 dollar carbs as well....

And that's really generic, at best.. Somebody could still be running the 3800 stall from GER and spend 1250 ft of the 1320 just revving and not going... been there and done that, got the T-shirt !!! LOL. Changed converters and the mph went up and the ET came down. In my case, I didn't add a stitch of hp, and my mph went up.
I respectfully disagree, if you changed converters and picked up mph, it was because of a junk converter. A junk converter kills mph. Even the old mopar direct connection bibles use the trap speed as a MPH indicator, as does the moroso calculator. Its nothing new, it is physics. A lot of newbies think ET shows HP, but that is untrue.

I respectfully disagree, if you changed converters and picked up mph, it was because of a junk converter. A junk converter kills mph. Even the old mopar direct connection bibles use the trap speed as a MPH indicator, as does the moroso calculator. Its nothing new, it is physics. A lot of newbies think ET shows HP, but that is untrue.
I know it was a junk converter, precisely my point. So, if a car does 110 in the 1/4 mile, and weighs 3200 lbs, calculator says "***" horsepower. A guy changes converters and the mph goes to 113, calculator now says "***" hp. Reality, he always had that HP. Now, the converter is only ONE example of all the many things can effect the MPH. What if it's a full size Van??? Wind resistance will slow up MPH, but the HP is still there. That's why I said the calculator is generic at best for figuring hp.

Let me use my duster as a example, it has been 7.009 in the 1/8th mile, and is a fully dressed street car, 3200 starting line weight. What kind of flywheel horsepower am I making?

Screenshot_20210709-083241_Video Player.jpg

Let me use my duster as a example, it has been 7.009 in the 1/8th mile, and is a fully dressed street car, 3200 starting line weight. What kind of flywheel horsepower am I making?

View attachment 1715781081
I like the color and car, by the way !!!! Calculators are ball park to me. We do agree that MPH gets you the best guess... still ball park to me.

I like the color and car, by the way !!!! Calculators are ball park to me. We do agree that MPH gets you the best guess... still ball park to me.
I agree they are ballpark, but your MPH calculator is way more accurate than ET. Tell me what you think that car makes? Stock stroke 340, 9.4 compression, .585 solid roller, iron heads and a tunnel ram with 2 650s...

Just like the video I watched the other day, (wish i had saved the link) A Duster with 600 claimed horsepower. Blip the throttle at 60+mph and the rear tires try to catch up with the front. If you can't hook it up, all that horsepower is just a toy. No accurate HP/ET/Mph calculations there. Just a calculated guess.

Last edited:
Freshened 318 magnum,
I know it was a junk converter, precisely my point. So, if a car does 110 in the 1/4 mile, and weighs 3200 lbs, calculator says "***" horsepower. A guy changes converters and the mph goes to 113, calculator now says "***" hp. Reality, he always had that HP. Now, the converter is only ONE example of all the many things can effect the MPH. What if it's a full size Van??? Wind resistance will slow up MPH, but the HP is still there. That's why I said the calculator is generic at best for figuring hp.
What if you're an internet supermodel and you look absolutely fabulous going down the track but you don't know how to drive... Shifting gears in too soon or too late...

What if you're an internet supermodel and you look absolutely fabulous going down the track but you don't know how to drive... Shifting gears in too soon or too late...
yeah, I know a guy once that had a 10.9 car but with HIM driving, setting up the suspension, and tweaking, he nailed 11.7''s :poke::poke:

I agree they are ballpark, but your MPH calculator is way more accurate than ET. Tell me what you think that car makes? Stock stroke 340, 9.4 compression, .585 solid roller, iron heads and a tunnel ram with 2 650s...
My guess at a 7.0 1/8 at 3200 lbs at the start line would be around 540 hp....

yeah, I know a guy once that had a 10.9 car but with HIM driving, setting up the suspension, and tweaking, he nailed 11.7''s :poke::poke:
Yep four speed car it liked 11/7 but plenty of 11 fives and one 11.4... @120mph
That same supermodel went to the final four in the stick shift class at the Mopar Nationals the year before this last...
His good looks got him that far...
That same supermodel now enjoys no role cage his cold AC and blowing nitrous out his Purge button LOL.. still looking good...
Ain't he a handsome devil...
IMG_20210205_120516.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back