Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even you would know a low compression iron head 340 ain't gonna make no 540 HP
LOL...... well, I figured being a 340 I set the bar high.... :poke:

I know a true blue 400 hp in light car with good gears and converter will certainly run low 11's.

idk,..always got along with YR,..this dude make me wanta unload a scatter gun...lol

You can see the truth. JPar has been wrong, was corrected by a guy who knew the truth and yet he carries on with his apparent delusion. For the last time, I’m not YR, won’t be YR and never will be YR.

So you are saying that the duster 318willrun posted numerous times is all a lie? It's been documented over and over again. Here I will lay some facts out for you again! A 340 has a 22hp capability advantage over a 318. I never argued that. Point I was making is that a 380hp crate motor was well documented running into the mid to upper 11's with stock magnum heads and another smaller camshaft. So for someone to tell me how much they have tied up into their motor with a bunch high dollar parts is mind boggling to me. What did the 395hp crate motor run? I don't know haven't seen any bonified published numbers.

You should know there is more to time slips than horsepower don’t you? You seem to be fixated with a power number and ignoring the 3k cost factor. You have to play in the dumb box that 318WR has built.

Two things on this thread are from Sandy Utah....
One is UTAwesome and the other is a grouch that keeps calling members names and posting the same stuff time and again that is meaningless dribble.
I truly hope they are not the same. Sandy Utah has 83,000 people so unlikely but......

And the Grouch just gave me another X
Bless his heart.

I'm totally convinced 448scamp is YR. I've seen way, way, way too many of his post. Thought, language, detail of conversation, lol. Welcome back, YR !!!!!

:thumbsup:

I'm totally convinced 448scamp is YR. I've seen way, way, way too many of his post. Thought, language, detail of conversation, lol. Welcome back, YR !!!!!

And you’d be wrong too. That’s ok, it doesn’t change the fact you use FABO like a YouTube page. Keep guessing who I am. You’ll be wrong forever. The interesting thing is other than a few of you, the rest don’t think I’m anyone but me. Keep up the good work with band width eating goofiness. Hey wait a minute. I thought you had me on ignore? Are you and JPar one and the same? Brothers maybe?

I don't know,YR thinks HP is King and Torque will take care of itself, I don't see that in this guy. I think YR maybe vote for 340 but would think you also could make power with a 318.

I don't know,YR thinks HP is King and Torque will take care of itself, I don't see that in this guy. I think YR maybe vote for 340 but would think you also could make power with a 318.

I’ll take torque over horsepower any day. It makes the car much more drivable, easier to tune, requires less RPM to do the same work and takes everything down. You can use different cam timing too. It’s just better unless you are building drag cars. Torque wins every time in my book. Even in a drag car, torque is what makes it move.

I’ll take torque over horsepower any day. It makes the car much more drivable, easier to tune, requires less RPM to do the same work and takes everything down. You can use different cam timing too. It’s just better unless you are building drag cars. Torque wins every time in my book. Even in a drag car, torque is what makes it move.

Your definitely not YR then LOL, YR and I think hp does every thing and hp is torque and rpm. What you call torque is just low end "rpm" hp.

It seems that online engine reman places its around $1,700 and up for a 318 magnum long block so that would leave 1,200 or so to finish the build myself I think that is very feasible.

I beg to differ. I prefer HP and let the torque come in where it will. Convertor and gear is my huckleberry.

you know this is the first time i've agreed with you in this whole thread, you're not so bad :lol:

And you’d be wrong too. That’s ok, it doesn’t change the fact you use FABO like a YouTube page. Keep guessing who I am. You’ll be wrong forever. The interesting thing is other than a few of you, the rest don’t think I’m anyone but me. Keep up the good work with band width eating goofiness. Hey wait a minute. I thought you had me on ignore? Are you and JPar one and the same? Brothers maybe?
I put you on ignore for a short 24 hrs so I could read this thread without sifting through the slough. Worried about the bandwidth ??? Stop posting :)

Last edited:
Yes, that was the "the trail ends here" post. LOL :D

I beg to differ. I prefer HP and let the torque come in where it will. Convertor and gear is my huckleberry.
Converter and gear will always cover up a lack of bottom end torque. Unfortunately, that works much better in a purposed race car. Not so much for daily's that leave the county a lot.

What are the local machine shop prices I. Every ones area? Just asking because it has been years since I had machine work done?

Converter and gear will always cover up a lack of bottom end torque. Unfortunately, that works much better in a purposed race car. Not so much for daily's that leave the county a lot.
Agree, that's where a 440 or stroker comes in. lol
There comes a point when anything under 383 cubes will be hampered by no low RPM torque as the HP goes up.

Agree, that's where a 440 or stroker comes in. lol
There comes a point when anything under 383 cubes will be hampered by no low RPM torque as the HP goes up.
My 196 in my Rambler has 4.3" stroke :)

I think a low mile junkyard 5.2 long block with some UTAwesome Beer kegger mods ($99 for the three piece kit), UTAwesome Big Mouth 1200CFM TB ($499 no core or $439 with core), a Lunati Voodoo 270/279 Retro Roller Cam ($285), a step up in Beehive springs for the 0.530 (Using 1.5:1 rockers, but a Mag is 1.6 for 0.565" lift cam) ($250), A complete 'Head gasket' change kit from RockAuto $50-$80 and a nice home done port job on the heads will get well over 330 HP for less than $2000 and that is with buying the junkyard block. No over boring or stroking and using the stock Iron exhaust manifolds and the OEM Kegger intake.

AND ITS STILL A 318CI

Lunati Cam spec's:
Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Great mid range torque and power. Likes 2000 RPM stall converter and works great in towing applications with lower gearing. Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 270/279 ;Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227 ;Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .515/.530 ;LSA/ICL: 112/106 ;RPM Range: 1800-5800

UTAwesome Magnumn parts UTAWESOME PERFORMANCE

It seems that online engine reman places its around $1,700 and up for a 318 magnum long block so that would leave 1,200 or so to finish the build myself I think that is very feasible.
Get that reman 5.2 long block and add some sort of what I posted and spend less that $3000 for about 330 HP. That is a mild cam too, there are hotter rollers for around $350. where the switch to rollers costs more is in the retro lifters for the short lifter bore of a LA. The Mag block has taller lifter bores and a set of new ones are like $5.85 each from Rock auto, but the reman 5.2 long block has these already.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back