Told my Cuda has a Stroked 318?

-

hdfattboy2001

Never Enough Cars!
Reaction score
I picked up a 68 Notch Back 318, I was told the motor is out of a 71 Charger and is a 318 30 over, Stroked with a 340 Crank, and a mild crower cam... Is this a common setup for stroking a 318? Is this usually a decent build? Im power hungry, but right now dont have the coin to build the 440 I want to drop in the car.

Thanks

Brad

Ha, it might be me that got stroked, but I didn't buy the car because of the motor thats for sure, just gotta get me by a year or so until I build something cool!

Well how does it run? good power?I doubt they put a 340 crank in it cause then they'd have to rebalance it as far as I know.

runs ok, it has a 904 with a shift kit and 3.23's pretty doggy off the line but mid range is pretty impressive for a 318 I guess, Cant wait to get rid of that motor though, be a good driver for the wife for now!
I had an 01 Harley Fatboy I traded straight up for this car, Its georgeous, all restored, Frames tied, 8 3/4 Posi, I was in the right place at the right time, the guy was hard up for storage space. The bike wasn't going anywhere in value like the car will someday even being a 318 Car!

342.jpg

Nice Cuda! It's mainly the highway gears that your fighting. 318 needs a bit deeper of a gear. 3:55 gears would be a cheap affordable wake up for your Cuda and still be O.K on the highway. You will find yourself in your powerband a bit quicker.It will allow that 318 to spool up!

Do you have an 8 1/4 diff or an 8 3/4 diff? 8 1/4 has a bolt on rear cover thats not quite round. 8 3/4 has a cast one piece housing and the carrier bolts in from the u joint side. There will be #'s on the side of the carrier like 741 or 742

It has an 8 3/4 Posi, I think its a 741? Haven't had time to do too much exploring yet, got the car cleaned up and tucked under the cover for now. Trying to get ready for our Buffalo winter before I have time to get into any fun projects!

That Cuda looks sweet! love the colour and the autodrags (or are they american racing?)...a 440 would go real good in there LOL

I've known Brad for years we live in the same town and I can honestly say this car is nothing less than gorgeous! He most certainly got the better deal!I've been trying to borrow his horse shoe for a while!!

Hey Brad,
NICE trade brother! A Hog for a Barracuda is a winner every time. Put some 4:10's in that thing and it oughta run pretty good.

Good Luck and Have Fun,
Brad......another one.

I also doubt that they put a 340 crank in that motor as the main journals for the 340 crank are larger than the 318. That would be a lot of extra$$$ to put that crank in for no gain!!! Doesn't diminish the fact that it's a sweet car and you should be very happy to have gotten it. I agree with the public that a steeper gear would really do that smallblock wonders, although the 3:23 is a good all around gear, you need to wind up that smallblock a little quicker to get it up in the power band of the motor. You'd be happy with a 3:55 and even happier with a 3:73, and if highway driving is not high on your list, a 3:91 is probably the best ratio for your motor, all things considered. Nice ride, welcome to the site and keep us posted on your progress, Geof

Thanks guys, I'm pretty excited about this car, the wheels are centerlines, the color is called Mighty Purple Pearl.
Love this site, will definatly help me out a lot! My buddy Cudapete has been pushing me to get a true mopar for a while and I've always wanted a Notch Back.
I hang out with all mopar guys, but i've always been a step-brother (I have a Couple AMC'S)
Looking forward to bringing a real Mopar to the Nationals this year!

Cuda1.jpg

I had to check and see if that first post was posted April first.......

Sweet car tho!

Lower gear, a little stall, and she'll shred like the big boys.

What would you guys recommend for a stall? Its a stock converter right now, i do know that, and just a mild crower cam... It supposedly has 360 heads too, I need to pull my covers to verify when I get a minute. Is there a big difference between those and the 318's?

-
Back