Tommy's Demon project!

-
Thanks txstang84, I'll take those arms if you'll part with them, and document the swap here in my build thread. Shoot me a PM when you can. I went ahead and bought the severely rusted 73 charger for $300, will snag the brakes & part out the rest on FBBO.

Tj

Slight setback today, tried to start the 318 that came in the car, and water went into the oil almost immediately. I'm guessing either the water pump housing is rotted or the PO didn't even put a gasket in there. Plan was to get it drivable with the 318 while I build up a stroker 340, not sure if I should even mess with the 318 now...

Tom

Sounds good, Bro! Ready to get this front end back together and on the ground. Let me know when you ship so I can watch for them.

Tom

Thanks Muscla! I have been working on the brake upgrade, just got the upper control arms from txstang84, and have been sandblasting and painting all the parts. One of the pages on another site says to use 5/8"x18TPIx2.5" grade 8 bolts and squish type nuts. No problem on the bolts, can even get them at my local hardware store, but even the guys at Fastenal did not know what a squish type nut was. Also, one of the spindles on my parts car was no bueno, outer race surface was gouged deeply, and heavy discoloration on the spidle itself, says this baby got HOT. Searching for another one now, and trying to figure out the squish type nut...

Tom

Boooo! Lamesauce on the cooked spindle. Well, there's probably a set or two kicking around in the classifieds...

By squish type you mean interference locking nuts, correct?

Yeppers, I'm guessing thats what nuts they mean, slightly deformed threads or hole that cause the nut to self-lock to the bolt. Going to call Fastenal back monday and explain it to them. Did find a local wrecking yard online that shows to have a LH spindle that should work, headed there in the morning.

Sweet! I never really paid a great deal of attention to those arms when I bought them about a year ago-are they good enough to use as is minus cleanup, or are you going to replace the bushings and ball joints?

Bought all new Moof offset bushings and Moog ball joints for them, between Amazon and eBay, got them pretty cheap. I'm taking pics of everything to upload soon.

Tom

FMJ disc brake upgrade completed, though it was definitely not a bolt-in like the magazines and websites claimed it was. Engine is now running well, slapped an LD340 intake on top along with a secondhand Holley DP that I picked up. Suregrip rear has 3.23 tag on it, and I picked up some bbp axles from Dr. Diff and rebuilt the rear brakes, cannot seem to find any 15x7 cop wheels anywhere, so may go aftermarket when she's ready to drive. Now the bad. Replaced the wiper motor with a new one last week, wipers still locked up. Pulled dash and there is no wiring behind it, fuse block is in bad shape, Summit brand headers are not sealing on drivers side (poor QC), coupler on manual steering is toast, trans had the wrong tail shaft and turned out to be from an 83 model. We swapped it with a 727 from the same car my 70 model 340 came from, eventually that motor will be dropped in here too. There are no AC controls, and someone has swapped a non-ac dash into her. The deeper I get into this girl, the more she is putting me into the poor house! Seriously thinking about sacrificing the low mileage 71 Dart Swinger I bought, to get this Demon straightened out. What do you guys think? If it wasn't for the help of George at Caveman Mopar in Hempstead Tx, and this forum, I would not even have a running car yet.. It may not be drive able, but I'm not giving up just yet.

Tommy J.
Houston, Texas

Thanks, hope I can! Demon is now running and in the home stretch of being my DD. Found out the rally dash is a non-AC part, and my Demon had air, so I'm stuck with it at the moment, AC bezel is nearly $500 with shipping... Calling BEA today to get a dash pad, speedo cable, headlight switch, and a few other odds and ends. Picked up another complete console a few days ago, so was able to combine the two and make a good one. Still missing the little piece that shows what gear your in, but I'll get around to it after I'm driving it.

Glad to hear the Demon is making some progress-sucks about all the setbacks, but with this hobby, there always are...

IMG952003.jpg

Notice the bbp wheels all around? Dr. Diff axles in the rear, perfect fit too. Engine is a mild 318 with J heads, LD340, and 650 Holley. Will start on one of those 340's I got very soon, enjoying a thread about one that was built cheap with magnum heads, might do that!.

Tj

Do the rally dashes not have a regulator on them? Here is a pic of mine, is anything missing?
IMG_20130713_130603_905.jpg

I got to take Paymon on a test drive today, no serious issues other than the brake pedal height. The power brakes work fine, but the pedal is a good 2-3 inches from its stop. When I pull it up, the rod comes out of the booster. Am wondering if I have the right length rod in here, two boosters with the same issue?

Tj

Another quick update. Got the dash back in, and thanks to FABO, I found the correct length speedometer cable (instead or the 80" long universal junk) from NAPA. The part number is BK 6151659 and it was 68" long with the correct ends. I also found the tach wiring, the long terminal (silver) gets 12v from the accy terminal of the fuse block, and the short terminal (copper) goes to the - side of the coil. The lamp holders I bought for the dash backlights did not make good contact at first, had to bend the tabs a little to get them all working. I think I'll go LEDS next time though, you can barely seen the 194 bulbs lighting things up.

Tj

So, all this time I thought my Demon was an AC car, with some weird small blower motor, but I have been told it was a non-air car. What the heck are the two other holes for? Many thanks to Tony DeFeo here on the forum, I now have all of the parts to upgrade to some AC, except the bezel for the rally dash.
IMG_20130818_100312_493.jpg

Missed you last week! Had to leave town for a funeral. PM me you number, your card was misplaced before I got back!

Sorry I missed out on all this-you posted up your three updates when my house was being packed up to move for my PCS to Hickam in mid July. That sucks about the bits and pieces not being quite right. I recall going through the same grief with the speedo cable you did, but I found the right one eventually. Pretty sure I posted it up on here somewhere in another thread...Pioneer CA-3014 or something like that-anyway, looks like you're gtg now on that and most other things.

With the A/C, so you're adding all those parts after the fact? That'll be a little bit of fun to wire in-shouldn't be terrible, but I bet it would be much easier if you were able to have the dash off...did you already locate a plenum and all harnesses?

-
Back