Tonights dinner...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Small Tri Tip roast....
20170303_132210.jpg
lots of smoking...guess this a warm up for Sunday....
20170303_132538.jpg
a touch under 16 pound Brisket. Neither one of is is wild about Brisket...this is more of a challenge for me. Have yet to have one come out perfect. With each one I have gotten closer. In the past I have used the Reverse Flow, but thanks to not covering the wood pile and having some snow and rain this winter the wood is to wet. Hoping the rock steady temperature of the Egg helps...in the past we have wrapped the brisket in foil and put it in a towel filled cooler...while it was probe tender when pulled the carry over heat made it over cooked. This time will just wrap it in butcher paper and leave it on the counter...

You always eat good! Tonights birthday dinner, crab cakes, filet, baked potato and green beans. Wish like yours it was done on a grill instead of the skillet. Its snowing here!
upload_2017-3-3_18-44-3.png

Cast Iron on a gas stove is not a bad thing. Sear the meat in cast iron pan and in the oven it goes works great!

Last edited:
Good luck on Sunday with your brisket! I have tried twice using a propane grill, second was better than the first but not good. I'm considering getting a Traeger.

Where do you get your brisket? Last couple years around here there 1/2 fat. Cook them and they shrink down, trim the fat and you got about a third size of meat?

You always eat good! Tonights birthday dinner, crab cakes, filet, baked potato and green beans. Wish like yours it was done on a grill instead of the skillet. Its snowing here!View attachment 1715024078
Happy Birthday.

Cast Iron on a gas stove is not a bad thing. Sear the meat in cast iron pan and in the oven it goes works great!
Haven't cooked a steak on Cast Iron in the Egg in a while. But I will be soon lol. Just something about a pan seared hunk of cow....

Good luck on Sunday with your brisket! I have tried twice using a propane grill, second was better than the first but not good. I'm considering getting a Traeger.
@71340Duster....Thank You. Few suggestions on a pellet pooper...have done a bit of research. Traegers...quality is not what it once was. Lot of folks have various complaints. Have seen more than 1 person with temperature control troubles. Have seen pretty good reviews of http://www.louisiana-grills.com/tablet/index.html...same can be said for .: Green Mountain Grills :. Top Quality Wood Pellet Grills, BBQ, Smoker.....
If you don't mind spending a bit more $$ Pellet Grills & BBQ Smokers For Sale | Factory Direct | REC TEC Grills is the way I would go. Have seen close to 0 negative comments on them.
Want something different? How about a 55 gallon drum pellet pooper? Pellet Pro® Pellet Conversion for Ugly Drum Smoker

You guys are eating mighty fine. We are having Chinese. Two kids in college, this is what we normally have on Friday

Make mine pork lo mein. I cant wait for warm weather and get some 16-18 pound brisket packers on the grill. Where do you get such fatty brisket? We go to restaurant supply and have had good luck.

Where do you get your brisket? Last couple years around here there 1/2 fat. Cook them and they shrink down, trim the fat and you got about a third size of meat?
Restaurant supply place called Cash and Carry. Recently Costco has started selling them...at least here in Spokane. By any chance do you have a place called Restaurant Depot near you? If so you may want to check with them. If you have deeper pockets than I you may want to check out https://www.snakeriverfarms.com....you may want to be sitting down when you browse their site...they are VERY pricey...

Make mine pork lo mein. I cant wait for warm weather and get some 16-18 pound brisket packers on the grill. Where do you get such fatty brisket? We go to restaurant supply and have had good luck.
Never made pork loin mein. Really was hoping to start making sausage this winter....need to figure out the sausage stuffer I have....Taylor Ham is not available here in the Pacific Northwest....have a recipe someplace. Buddy in AZ has a recipe that he claims tastes exactly like the Taylor Ham from Jersey

Tried Tip came out great. It was a bit thinner than normal. It was the last one in the freezer.

Restaurant supply place called Cash and Carry. Recently Costco has started selling them...at least here in Spokane. By any chance do you have a place called Restaurant Depot near you? If so you may want to check with them. If you have deeper pockets than I you may want to check out https://www.snakeriverfarms.com....you may want to be sitting down when you browse their site...they are VERY pricey...

Used to do well at Sams club. But it's gone downhill, tried some local butchers and theirs didn't look much better. Will do some searching for a restaurant supply place. Love brisket but haven't had a good piece of meat in a couple years.

Tried Tip came out great. It was a bit thinner than normal. It was the last one in the freezer.

Hey Ink,
So about 4 hours around 200 deg on the grill, 145 internal temp ?

Hey Ink,
So about 4 hours around 200 deg on the grill, 145 internal temp ?
I don't cook very much at lower temperatures anymore. This was at 300*, was done (145*) in about 70 minutes or so. Wrapped in foil, into a towel filled cooler for an hour or so

we have great luck with brisket after we bought a traeger and slow long cooking
Normally I use my Reverse Flow. With it you pretty much have to let it run where it wants. It fluctuates between 260*-295*. Only thing we noticed from upping the temperature was a decrease in bark...considering neither one of us cares for the bark. This is how I have done briskets since first reading it. Like I mentioned earlier....mistake I have been making was wrapping it in foil and putting it in a cooler to allow it to rest...
K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs

Neither one of is is wild about Brisket

What's your beef with brisket?!?! lol Seriously, the Green Egg should really help you out with keeping your temps steady. Low and slow. If the tip dries out, chop that **** up into cubes, slather it in BBQ sauce and you have a Kansas City delicacy burnt ends. Restaurants get big bucks for that dish and almost always sell out because only the tip dries out (if you're lucky or good). Good luck!

Edit: I just read your midnight post above. My opinion is that your temps are too high to begin with. I try to never let my smoker (original Oklahoma Joe circa 1990) go above 250. I also use a pan full of water in there to keep moisture in the smoke. Everyone does it different.

-
Back