Too far gone...I think...right?

-

shadango

Reaction score
Ok, work with me here.....newbie in training. LOL

Found this one....body looks niot bad....***. quarter looks like it needs work......but the floorboards..."WHAT floorboards?"

LOL

They want $800 for it......

A little holey is one thign....but.....if they are this bad wouldn't that pretty much mean that there are some serious structural issues?

Or is this worth it? WOuld there be anything left under there to graft new floorboards onto?

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/stupidpuppy/Duster/

nothings ever too far gone but man that would be an ambitious project. Would take alot of dollar bills worth of replacment sheetmetal. My personal opinion is yes its overpriced, would be around here anyway, usually would pay between 250 to 500 max for that kind of car.

also with that amount of floor rot i would check out the frame rails, could be another problem there.

Thanks.....Like I said, I am in training ...LOL....I am giddy about getting a car, but I think I am learning what is what with these cars, slowly but surely....LOL.

BTW, really like the look of your car.....I am thinkin gabout one on ebay that has a similar paint scheme....STEELER colors! LOL

I like the car, but that would sure take alot of work.

The sad thing is that us guys in the west have far better cars sitting that get cut up for parts.

We need a cross continent teleportation device for old cars.....

Keep looking. You will find what you need.

ROB

The floor is not what I would be concerned about..... under that vinyl top is probably going to be the hardest fix...... Trust me on that one....

LOL

Glad to hear my senses are tuning in correctly.

I better find an old Mopar soon..I am actually contemplating a ....(make the children leave the room)....a......CAMARO!

:angry7:

LOL

Glad to hear my senses are tuning in correctly.

I better find an old Mopar soon..I am actually contemplating a ....(make the children leave the room)....a......CAMARO!

:angry7:

Donnnnnn't dooooo ittttt. :angry7:

take a close look at the front framerails...if there are no holes it looks like you'd just need floorpans...which you could easily weld in with a 110v welder.

Donnnnnn't dooooo ittttt. :angry7:
LOL:toothy10:

I honestly dont think I can get the dream of a rumbly mopar out of my head...LOL....been my dream for a while now.

Actually the car (Camaro) I am thinking about I have known for years...a 78 special order with a 305. I grew up around the car and it holds special meaning to me.....not sure if it will even be up for sale or for how much. But its been in storage for years and is supposed to still be like new...20k miles....

I also found this one....a z28
http://www.camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36025

It's not too far gone. It is savable. If you could register it with my Duster & Dart Sport registry, I'd appreciate it!

It looks to me like inner front fenders have an issue by the firewall as well. Look at the inner rocker panels just ahead of the rear tires. lots of fabricating needed in there if its shot. I'm doing a car now that was everybit as bad as that one and wish I woulda started with a better one. Look at the rear frame as well,,up where the rear spring hangers are. Check out the area where the torsion bars go into the frame, thats another bad spot. It all can be fixed but it all takes allot of time and some descent welding skill. The sheet metal is all fairly cheap but it does all add up. Then theres the drive train, if its good and the good stuff ie, 8/34 diff/w sure grip,340 engine and all numbers matching then maybe its worth it for the extra work on the body. IMO if its a 318 and no 8 3/4 and all that body work then let it go to the crusher or someone older with more money,lol.

The floor doesn't need repair. It has the Mopar hybrid modification....some call it the Flintstone Foot Power mod....think of all the gas money that will be saved.

Pass on it and find a better starting point. Spending more $$ initially will save you $$$/time in the long run.

I know that you have been looking for a while and have to be chomping at the bit the find a nice mopar already. Like was already said, theres no car thats too far gone if you are willing to do the work. But thats a mighty big project to get into. Hang in there and when the time is right one will pop up thats perfect for you and you will be thanking your lucky stars you didnt grab one of the cars that you "settled for".

The floor doesn't need repair. It has the Mopar hybrid modification....some call it the Flintstone Foot Power mod....think of all the gas money that will be saved.

Yaba dabba dooo! LOL

Craigslist my man, craigslist.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1038710325.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1023186799.html

This one is a bit farther -

http://allentown.craigslist.org/ctd/1022866281.html

Plenty of classic mopar rumblyness around town. And most likely, some slightly less uhh.. "ambitous" projects. ;)

I had emailed the last one when it came out....

owner replaced the floor pans and put frame connectors in but it needs rear quarter panels, inner front fenders, and says "the rest can be patched".

Sounds like it could still be pretty ambitious. I am learning how to decode ads.....this car, to me, sounded like it was needing a lot of body work.....and dirivng 12 hours round trip to see it was notlooking like a good gamble....

"A little further away" is a 6 hour trip for this car. LOL

Thats why I have been tryong to stay closer to home.....or ask folks to look at them for me, but thats a huge inconvenience for folks and I feel funny asking.

Just not much that appeals to me around town (2-3 hrs) right now....

Iam sure that will eventually change....but yeah. I am chomping at the bit...LOL

Some models are worth saving regardless of condition. Some just aren't.
You can spend about the same time and money on a 75 Duster or a 71 cuda, or a 69 Swinger. You would spend less on a 69 Camaro.
They are like women in that if you can't afford but one , choose wisely and make the vows.
Who doesn't love the car they have but admire and fanticise about others ?

I,d hold off til you see a nice rust-free body,might have to travel or ship.In the long run you can bolt anything to it(motor,tranny,rear or interior)A nice rust-free car is a very good starting point,regardless wether it,s running or not.It,s your money!

-
Back