Too many engine choices!

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I see I reached that 1000 post mark so to celebrate that milestone, I thought I'd post about a problem that I have - too many engine choices for my early A's. Three of my 65's were originally slants with the lone exception being the Barracuda - 273 4 speed. That's not gonna change. Don't think the slant in the Valiant is going to change either. I had pretty much decided to go with a 340 in both my GT convert and wagon (do have both engines and all the stuff to make it happen). Besides the 340s, I have a few slants as well. Slants don't look too glamorous UNLESS it has a 4 barrel or a sweet looking multiple carburetor set-up. Along those lines I currently have a triple SU and the dual Offy set-up. I also have a triple Weber sidedraft intake manifold and just acquired a matching set of Weber DCOEs. So there's my predicament - go with the 340 on the GT & wagon or use the trip SU and Weber slant on one or both and get rid of the 340s. Not leaving the dual Offy out, it's going on the Valiant. I realize there's no substitute for cubic inches, but the multiple carbie set-ups on a slant just rock! Got to really think about my choices here. What do you guys think?

Tried to post a poll but went longer than the 5 minutes allowed - sorry!

4 dogs 004.jpg

K9114.jpg

parts 002.jpg

Do one 340 and play with the multiple carbs on the other. Then decide what you like best. Only you can figure that one out.

If you EVER decide you don't want that SU setup, give me a call! But my vote would be for DCOEs, or custom fab a manifold to use 6 Kehin motorcycle carbs.

BTW, the left SU needs it's dome rotated. Those look like HIF6's, probably from an early 70's Volvo, or Hitatchi made carbs from a 240Z (2 fronts and a rear).

If you EVER decide you don't want that SU setup, give me a call! But my vote would be for DCOEs, or custom fab a manifold to use 6 Kehin motorcycle carbs.

If I ever decide to get rid of it, I'll certainly give you first crack at it. Whatever I do, custom fabbing a manifold is not in the cards.

BTW, the left SU needs it's dome rotated. Those look like HIF6's, probably from an early 70's Volvo, or Hitatchi made carbs from a 240Z (2 fronts and a rear).

Yes you're correct about the dome. I have acquired 6 of those suckers; I stuck 3 of them on for the picture. I'm sure whatever 3 is used would have to be rebuilt.

I would definitely put the 340 in one and play with the /6 multiple carburetion on the other. Try all the manifolds and see what works best; it would be pretty easy, especially on a slant. One thing though, wouldn't that side-draft Weber setup be a bit much for a stock slant (unless you're going to hotrod yours)?

The Weber side drafts would look really nice in your wagon. You'd have a really unique car. I'd put a 340 in the GT though.

I say
Valiant with the 6 cyl.
Cuda with the 273 4 speed
The GT with a 340
The wagon with the triple carbs.

Now that I look at the list,wow your a lucky man!Nice stable of Early-A,s.:happy10:

Nice looking and performing motors. Too bad they won't fit in our A Bodies - they're too long!

check these guys out for manifolds-They are in Australia though
http://www.aussiespeed.com/details/?page_id=25

Guys over at slantsix.org organized a group buy on some of those manifolds. I frequent the MoparMarket forum quite a bit - lots of good info from down under. My triple Weber intake I got off of Aussie ebay. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their Mopar products - in fact they've had quite a bit reproduced that is just N? here in the states.

I vote for putting the 340 in the rag top, the DCOEs or twin Offy on the wagon, and the SUs out to pasture. (Had some experience in the past trying to sync SUs on Healy 3000, MGB, and Jaguar. Very time consuming, especially if the internals are old. Ugh! On the otherhand, install the SUs on something you're selling and aid the local economic recovery (lol!).)

One thing though, wouldn't that side-draft Weber setup be a bit much for a stock slant (unless you're going to hotrod yours)?

I do believe you're right that the sidedraft Webers would be too much for a stock engine. With some head work, OS valves, up the compression some, those Webers would make a slant come alive and look darn nice in the process!

Hey Don, Cool setups for sure. I agree with 2 Darts though, tuning may be an issue as it can be with any multiple carb setup. Doesn't matter how cool it looks if it is a nightmare just to get it to a local show! What are you running on the Offy, Strombergs? If so I would take that over the Weber/SUs.... As to which car with what motor, I am no help at all there... Good luck and looking forward to seeing you at a show soon.
Rocky

. . . . What are you running on the Offy, Strombergs? Rocky

Good to hear from you Rocky :cheers: I'd have to get to my storage to check on the carbs that will go on the Offy but think they are the matched set of 65 1920s I have. Pretty sure the Offy set-up is going on the Signet convert although the youngest son says it ought to be a V8. How's your wagon coming along?

Sorry for the delay Don, I took the girls to FL for Thanksgiving and just starting to get back to normal. The wagon is coming SLOW, but I have taken the doors off and cut one qtr panel. She is rusty but I won't be deterred on this one! Sounds like your youngest one has dibs on the convert!

BTW I have decided to do away with the power window set up in mine, motor still works well if you or other FABO folks are interested. Still looking for a gate with manual windo that isn't as rusty as mine...

Whatever I do, custom fabbing a manifold is not in the cards.

Too bad-- I was going to suggest fuel injection. ;)

Very nice stable of early A cars. Wish I had the space to collect stuff like that.

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd :)

-
Back