Too much cancer?

-
Hello all, I came across this Cuda in a field, Before I contact the owner about it, is there too much cancer on it? I know the quarter panels and trunk lid are available but they're not cheap..

View attachment 1716011245

View attachment 1716011246

View attachment 1716011247

View attachment 1716011248

If you’re worried about the price of the trunk lid and quarters then you shouldn’t bother with this one. It’ll take the entire AMD Barracuda catalog to get that one back on the road, and probably then some on top of that.

I’ve replaced floors, frame rails, crossmembers and more and I wouldn’t touch that thing.

Its a parts car, done went down that road with a 70 cuda, 340 4-speed.

100_2061.JPG

100_2360.JPG

Yes projects like that are for me being in my 50s Ill just never have the time. Its better to start with something a bit closer to being finished. I went down the "srtip it down to bare metal" road with my Dart and I'm still working on it trying t get it finished. Now my career gets in the way but, I need the funding to get the car back together. I sometimes wish I could just work on my car full time LOL! I am currently looking at 1950s trucks, Chevy, 3100 or Ford F1 type trucks, Dodge isnt out of the question I just don't see many job rateds out there,and sometimes you can find one all there that runs for under 10K but sometimes not. Undr 5 K and they are rust bucket with missing drivetrain, I suppose I have to pick my poison but getting into the old car game at under 10 grand as a start these days is almost impossible

After building endless Mopars since the 80s, I always know to buy the BEST project car I can find and afford and always best to buy the most complete. A guy new to the game must evaluate his skill level, tools, place to work, time and $.

Fact: It costs basically the same to do body/paint, mechanicals, interior, glass, trim etc. on lets say for example a slant car as it doe a hemi car. The only real difference is in the initial cost of each project car!

When someone tells me they spent $50000 on the resto work and they DID it all themsleves, I have to ask if they are wealthy and their best tallent is writing checks for parts and materials!! :poke:

getting into the old car game at under 10 grand as a start these days is almost impossible
No words better have ever been spoken.
Last week I went to the parts store and bought 8 1'' hose clamps and 4' of 5/8'' heater hose.
$32.86 I really had to tell myself "Why do I do this ?"
I will say a 4 door 66 Valiant that is in good driveable condition can be had in the 10 grand range.
But is it something you want ?? I have lowered my expectations in the last 10 years and now have a 63 Beater Plymouth that is and will be my last old Mopar. Least it ain't rusty....

IMG_2968.jpg

No words better have ever been spoken.
Last week I went to the parts store and bought 8 1'' hose clamps and 4' of 5/8'' heater hose.
$32.86 I really had to tell myself "Why do I do this ?"
I will say a 4 door 66 Valiant that is in good driveable condition can be had in the 10 grand range.
But is it something you want ?? I have lowered my expectations in the last 10 years and now have a 63 Beater Plymouth that is and will be my last old Mopar. Least it ain't rusty....

View attachment 1716011633
For many years I have had the itch to build a 4 door, yea driver. I got a 64 Bel 318 poly solid SOLID driver in on a trade. I had $500 in it and it came with installed full AMD floor pans, good running poly, almost no rust. I did the paint, installed new A100 style buckets, new front and rear AMD glass and gaskets, rebuilt the brakes, tires, exhaust. Got some better door panels, dyed them. I have $3500-$4000 in it and I just need to install a new stoplite swittch. I had to spend a few hundred for a TX bonded title.

Yep it is a four door. I am yet to find a buyer for this car/ and just get $4000. People will see the ad and say nice car, drive it wish you were closer,et hahaha or its too nce to part out. NOONE will get into a four door anything for this $. I like the car and it does not bother me for it to be part of the "herd". 99% of Mopar peeps look at any more door as a parts car.

Anyway back to RUST talk!!

For many years I have had the itch to build a 4 door, yea driver. I got a 64 Bel 318 poly solid SOLID driver in on a trade. I had $500 in it and it came with installed full AMD floor pans, good running poly, almost no rust. I did the paint, installed new A100 style buckets, new front and rear AMD glass and gaskets, rebuilt the brakes, tires, exhaust. Got some better door panels, dyed them. I have $3500-$4000 in it and I just need to install a new stoplite swittch. I had to spend a few hundred for a TX bonded title.

Yep it is a four door. I am yet to find a buyer for this car/ and just get $4000. People will see the ad and say nice car, drive it wish you were closer,et hahaha or its too nce to part out. NOONE will get into a four door anything for this $. I like the car and it does not bother me for it to be part of the "herd". 99% of Mopar peeps look at any more door as a parts car.

I'm sure you hear this kind of s#!t a lot, but..... I wish it was a 63, I'd take it in a heartbeat, cause I got a real 63 max, that would look cool in a 63 crew cab...LOL.

Just curious.... would you drive (or, more accurately, COULD it be driven) from Texas to Arizona?

I'm sure you hear this kind of s#!t a lot, but..... I wish it was a 63, I'd take it in a heartbeat, cause I got a real 63 max, that would look cool in a 63 crew cab...LOL.
Yep!! I had a more door 62 Dart (B body as you know), that I had done all but engine, to go along with the wife's 62 Lancer. Then this 64 came along and I could not make myself part it and use the engine in the 62 Dart. I did have a guy drive from Pa. to here in Tx and bought my Dart for a cop car tribute.

Just curious.... would you drive (or, more accurately, COULD it be driven) from Texas to Arizona?
It needs the stop lite switch replaced and attention to taillite/brake lies, and replace the turn signal switch. I drive it but have never gone more than maybe 10-15 miles. It is insured thru Hagerty. Brakes are good, steering (manual) is even very tight. It has original radiator that has never leaked. Tires are 2 years old.
I would be I am adventurous!!

Yeas ago I pulled a 71 B5 blue 340 duster out of the blackberries in Oregon that looked a lot like this car for $1200.

I was really happy to have got my hands on it...

However, by the time I added it up, (what I could see...) I'd have to drop minimum $25k in early 90's money it to make it a $20K car.
Sold it. Likely it became a VIN and Fender tag donor

I pulled my 1970 340 swinger out of a field in 1993. The last it was on the road was 1988 according to the state safety inspection sticker. I was lucky the car was 23 years old only sat for 5 it has been in a garage ever since so minimal rust and what was there has been repaired. Now these cars are 50 years old and the longer they have been in a field well you get the picture. Some of them rust bad others not so much.

I'm bringing a '70 340 Swinger back to life as we speak. Its a 4 speed car so I thought it was worth saving and I have wanted one since I sold my high school car back in 1981. It needs fenders, front floors, front frame repair, rockers, trunk extensions, outer wheel well housings and quarters plus a few other minor rust repairs. Its a hell of a big job and I can't imagine the cost if I had to pay someone. Sheet metal new and used was $6k Cdn alone.

Spoken like a true Wisconsinite!
Been down the "Bring a shovel and a broom" road for the last time.
Haha yep! Almost was that way after rescuing my wife's 50 wayfarer, looked at it getting pulled up on the flatbed and thought to myself "what the hell am I doing!" But it was free so that made it all better.

T
I'm bringing a '70 340 Swinger back to life as we speak. Its a 4 speed car so I thought it was worth saving and I have wanted one since I sold my high school car back in 1981. It needs fenders, front floors, front frame repair, rockers, trunk extensions, outer wheel well housings and quarters plus a few other minor rust repairs. Its a hell of a big job and I can't imagine the cost if I had to pay someone. Sheet metal new and used was $6k Cdn alone.
it will be worth it in the end., people love those cars. They always came up to me whenever i was out in mine and wanted to talk about it.

Thanks for all your replies, I kinda like already knew that, but hope SPRUNG eternal. Yep, it done sprung on this one. It says 383 on the back quarter panel, but who even knows if that's accurate. Damned rich oyster grower, takes a car like that and let it go to ****. I've been at the beach for over 20 years and didn't see the car until recently.

Thanks for all your replies, I kinda like already knew that, but hope SPRUNG eternal. Yep, it done sprung on this one. It says 383 on the back quarter panel, but who even knows if that's accurate. Damned rich oyster grower, takes a car like that and let it go to ****. I've been at the beach for over 20 years and didn't see the car until recently.
But, hey, I've still got my 65 Valiant Signet!

-
Back