Too much cancer?

-
Im in the process of doing a 71 cuda tribute out of a 74 that was in very good condition. Your looking at 10K in sheet metal minimum on that car, thats a fact. Unless its a really desirable optioned car or has sentimental value its nothing more than a parts car. Even as a parts car you wont be able to get many salvageable parts from it.
I would offer a couple hundred bux for it and hope to break even selling parts off it.
I just parted a 71 383 air grabber roadrunner in similar condition. Looked decent on the outside but everything rotted from the ground up. The bottom of the frame rails were gone. It sucks but you cant save them all.

Thanks for all your replies, I kinda like already knew that, but hope SPRUNG eternal. Yep, it done sprung on this one. It says 383 on the back quarter panel, but who even knows if that's accurate. Damned rich oyster grower, takes a car like that and let it go to ****. I've been at the beach for over 20 years and didn't see the car until recently.
It might have had a 383 swapped into it, (i doubt it) but it's not a 383 car. Last year for a big block barracuda was 71. And that ain't a 70/71.

Friend of mine sent a rust bucket '72 Camaro down to AMD shop in North Carolina. It needed all the floors, ALL the frame rails, 1/4 panels, firewall, everything but the roof replaced. It was in the 20k range to have that done and that was like 8 years ago. But it came back dipped in primer with factory spot welds excellent gaps ect.

Friend of mine sent a rust bucket '72 Camaro down to AMD shop in North Carolina. It needed all the floors, ALL the frame rails, 1/4 panels, firewall, everything but the roof replaced. It was in the 20k range to have that done and that was like 8 years ago. But it came back dipped in primer with factory spot welds excellent gaps ect.
WHY wo7ld somebody do that? I can see it, if it was a copo, or a Baldwin Motion or something of the sort, but an ordinary 72 camaro? Just cause they can?

WHY wo7ld somebody do that? I can see it, if it was a copo, or a Baldwin Motion or something of the sort, but an ordinary 72 camaro? Just cause they can?
Its actually far dumber then you can imagine. My buddy is restoring this '72 for a customer charging by the hour. The owners bought it new and they want to convert the plain jane low-po V8 auto car to a Z28 4 spd clone and change its original color too? So my buddy told them they can buy an original paint mint condition real '70 Z28 for cheaper? But owners are like no we want to dump a kings ransom into this one cause we bought it new. But it won't even resemble the car it used to be? But my buddy charges by the hour so he keeps going forward with it. And yes it was originally an ordinary '72 V8 auto car single exhaust open rear highway gears ect. So that is the story and like I said dumber then you can imagine.

Last edited:
Some people have more money than brains.....and enough money that that's okay.
Well.....this camaro project been going on for like 15 years or longer. The guy scrapes up money, my buddy does work on the car, guy runs out of money stop work etc. So this isn't some money bags paying for this car project. But my buddy charges by the hour so he goes along with it.

But yeah if you are someone where money grows on trees yeah go for it.

Just curious.... would you drive (or, more accurately, COULD it be driven) from Texas to Arizona?
I just drive locally. Ir uns/drives don the road good. What an gowrong???? My first guess is the NO new radiator could be an issue. I just replaced the woreout trunnion with a conversion new shaft at $500.

Well.....this camaro project been going on for like 15 years or longer. The guy scrapes up money, my buddy does work on the car, guy runs out of money stop work etc. So this isn't some money bags paying for this car project. But my buddy charges by the hour so he goes along with it.

But yeah if you are someone where money grows on trees yeah go for it.

Sometimes the nostalgia, memories and connection to the car is worth more than the money.

-
Back