Too much carb?

-

Toms70Duster

Reaction score
I have a 20 over 360 with 9.5 comp., worked edelbrock heads, M1 intake, TTI headers and 1.6 rockers. I have a 650 DP on it now and it runs mid 12's. I put my buddies 750 DP on it and it ran 12 0's and has went high 11's a few times. A friend has a 850 DP I can get for $100. Is this too much carb for my combo?

The 850 should be fine thats what i run on my 360.but i have a little more compression 10.7 to 1 with Edelbrock heads..

Stick it on, tune it and see, what do you have to lose except $100. I'm sure you could resell it if it's too much, but I kind of doubt it will be.

we are running a holley 950 on a 360...

best of 11.03 at 121...

if you got the converter and gears...run it.....

You got lucky with the 750. Remember if you get to much unburned fuel you can wash down the cylinder walls and that will cost you a lot more then $100...

I have a 20 over 360 with 9.5 comp., worked edelbrock heads, M1 intake, TTI headers and 1.6 rockers. I have a 650 DP on it now and it runs mid 12's. I put my buddies 750 DP on it and it ran 12 0's and has went high 11's a few times. A friend has a 850 DP I can get for $100. Is this too much carb for my combo?

If you don't want the 850, I'll take it!

The secret to a big carb (Or any dang carb) is to be able to tune it. If this is a street car, the larger the carb gets over what it needs or could comphortabley use, smaller carb, the harder it is to drive on the street.

Like they said above, if you have a good high stall verter and a set of gears, run it, tune it. Have fun!

You should find out what vaccum you have when you cross the finish line at full throttle. If you have more than 1/2" of vacuum you can go to next size carb. If you don't you are just wasting your money. I know someone here will disagree, but thats how I have been setting mine according to a few carb dealers and some old time racers.

Sounds like a good way to do it! I'll go with that. Excellent race car /street machine advice.

I think most people that are afraid to run bigger carbs are the ones that don't know how to tune them. I see it all the time.... they see 750,850, or 950 and they think fuel automatically but it's air not fuel. It's just more air. Jets (Holley carbs) is what determines fuel. Inner and outer air bleeds do other things.

true about the "to big of carb" scare! i put a 600 DP on my "BUILT" SL6 i built and u hit the secondaries and it takes off even harder. hell i just upped my priamry jets to 67's from 66's. i just want to see what the AFR is now. it was running lean with the 66's at cruize...

We run a BIG thermoquad and our 410 would like a dominator but I don't like Holleys . When we can't make the Carter big enough we will go to mechanical fuel injection.

PICTURES!!!!!!! I want pictures of race T-Q's!!!!!!!

What are the cam specs? What converter? What gears? How much does it weigh? You should consider all these things first. Detuning the wrong size carburetor is a waste of time! Tuning the right one is enough work!

-
Back