Too much vacuum?

-

Cam1399

Reaction score
I just installed a new edelbrock carburetor and was checking vacuum. I have 32 at idle. Is this Right?

get a new gauge. Sea level perfect vacuum is 29.92 and no more.
‘Standard’ (is the word I think we should use) Barometric pressure at sea level is 29.92 inches mercury but can and does have a normal range 29.5 to 30.2 ish.
Extremes can happen beyond that. 26” in a typhoon is possible and I think they’ve registered 32” in Siberia during a high pressure event. I learned all this no one needs to know crap in a former life as a pilot. Lol

I've discovered in the last 4 years that automotive fuel pressure/ vaccum test gauges are TERRIBLE for accuracy. I've tested maybe 4 different once and they are horridly inaccurate.

These were compared to "suspected good" better quality vacuum gauge that had in turn been compared to micron vacuum gauges and digital manometer

(I had planned to build a good old fashioned glass tube mercury barometer, but in this communist country I could find no way to get mercury)

I've discovered in the last 4 years that automotive fuel pressure/ vaccum test gauges are TERRIBLE for accuracy. I've tested maybe 4 different once and they are horridly inaccurate.

These were compared to "suspected good" better quality vacuum gauge that had in turn been compared to micron vacuum gauges and digital manometer

(I had planned to build a good old fashioned glass tube mercury barometer, but in this communist country I could find no way to get mercury)
Buy a bunch of mercury thermometers break them open extract the mercury! Where there’s a will theres a way .

-
Back