Too Rough To Save?

-
Were those store bought floors you put in that Valiant?

I say save it my, challenger isn't much better but good luck finding any e bodies (to restore or restored or original) these days with out cutting off an arm or a leg.

I don't think you can really call a E body to far gone any more they reproduce almost every part to factory specs. I understand not being within a budget but they ALL can be fixed now

Definitely fix it, especially if you can do the work yourself or are willing to learn to do the work! These cars are always worth it in the end.

65s That floor look awsume! Is that a whole new floor or patch panels? If that's patches you said you can't wait for the next one.... I just need the pass. front floor board.... and some odds & ends done. ;) I can't cover gas or a hotel, but I can buy a cheese burger! lol

You should get rid of it. I'll be there next week to take it off your hands. HaHa

If you can't weld, take a class and learn. I bought a book and learned some basic stuff. The best advice is to get scrap metal and practice, practice, practice.
It is not difficult. You will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. You can buy a good welder for less than $500 and have a skill that will be an asset for the rest of your life.

It's not a matter of being able to fix it,
I don't want or need a project of this magnitude.
I'm way past my prime and know what it entails
to restore a machine in this condition.
I've got several projects going right now that need
more time and money than I can spend and still
chase women, drink, fish and hunt.
I was interested in finding out if anyone would tackle
something like this and what it would be worth.
It's not a complete car and needs a lot af parts and tons
of repair, not for the faint of heart restoration.
When I tell you it has a hole in every single panel
I'm not kidding!
The blasting exposed every rust pit, weak spot and hole.
The package tray is the only thing without damage.
I was thinking of it as a parts car only until this thread.

longarm,
It's an F'n mess. Beyond resto. NO. Do you need any E-body parts? If not put everything you have that would work for this car together and sell it. I think alot of people got off track ( imagine that on a Mopar board ) and tryed to persuade you keep and restore it. You already own it so why not?.... See even I do it. lol

When your question clearly stated : "Too Rough To Save?" People go NUTS over E-bodys. '74 isn't the most sought after.... BUT the time are changing. A-bodys weren't worth a crap a while back, but now you can see Barracudas like mine go for 30K. At this point in time to restore your car would be a labor of love.... in the not so distant future ( based on cuant trends ), your car will be a "GOLD MINE".
If at all possible, keep the car as compleate as possible and resto it if you can. The dividens will pay off in the long run. If you can't resto it try to make it as compleate as possible so it's chances of a resto are greater (for the sake of the hobby).

All I can say is kudos to you guys that have these mega projects going on. Hell, now I dont feel so bad about the shape the duster is in!

longarm, the flash rust from the media blasting makes my stomach turn, but, if you like the car keep it & fix it at your own pace. E body parts are all over!

I saw a 69 roadrunner in a mag. the other day & it was fully restored, like new. The only original sheet metel on it was the drivers side door & the roof. The owner had replaced EVERYTHING else!! Hell at that point it was a "new" roadrunner with an old door & roof!!

Anything can happen with time, money & faith!!!

It's not a matter of being able to fix it,
I don't want or need a project of this magnitude.
I'm way past my prime and know what it entails
to restore a machine in this condition.
I've got several projects going right now that need
more time and money than I can spend and still
chase women, drink, fish and hunt.
I was interested in finding out if anyone would tackle
something like this and what it would be worth.
It's not a complete car and needs a lot af parts and tons
of repair, not for the faint of heart restoration.
When I tell you it has a hole in every single panel
I'm not kidding!
The blasting exposed every rust pit, weak spot and hole.
The package tray is the only thing without damage.
I was thinking of it as a parts car only until this thread.

Take some pictures, stick it on ebay and be done with it, I've seen e-bodies in similar shape go for $500-1500 on there. I say it's plenty fixable and I'm sure there are several people who would be totally ready to do it.

I've been in the same situation before, I had a '70 Charger R/T, it had been flooded several times in the junkyard it was at before I drug it home. Paid $1000 for it about 8 years ago. It had no engine or trans but it was a factory top banana yellow 440 4-speed R/T. It had holes in everything, tops of the quarters, top of the roof (hood was sitting on it). I had high hopes for it, had even found a new roof for the car, but I came to the same realization you have, I had 8 other projects at the time... I sold the grille, the bucket seats, the clutch pedals... then I sold the whole car.

As much as I would've loved to keep it, it would've rusted into the ground before I could save it. I sold it to a friend and luckily someone in PA got it from him and is restoring it.

mychargerrt.jpg

I vote for fix it! It can still be saved!

This was mine after i cut out all the rust!
a73cre2.jpg

2bbfre2.jpg

I'd hate to see it go bye bye for good so I vote for selling it off. Just put it on ebay and see what it's worth. It's a 74 E-body for christ sake, the end of an era, someone will want it.
Seems most people here say restore it. It will be interesting to see what they think of my 70 340 Swinger when I put it up for sale, it's much better than that but looks like crap.

What I'd do is get a list of everything that's needed and start figuring out how much money it will cost. Check AMD, Goodmark, Autobodyspecialty, Year One, etc. My '69 Charger will need quarters, fenders, floors, trunk, rear deck, ft & rear valances,etc. I was quoted $15000 for parts and labor and the frame is not rusted at all? I plan to spend it when I finish my Duster. Hope this gives you an idea of the cost you may be looking at. If you have the time ,patience, money and you really love this car, do it! Just don't scrap it!

That can be saved. Heres a few pictures of the 71 Barracuda we have at the shop.

IM000316.JPG

440 Valiant $$$$$$$$

You get the medal for saving it..........
Some people would just jack up the VIN plate and drive another body under it!

I looked at a 70 Convert Challenger earlier this year no interior just a wrecked shell sitting in a field, it was worse off than that one, the owner wanted some allot of money for it. Apparently he says it was a Goodyear Indy500 promocar, who knows, but it did sell for allot of money! Dont scrap it some one will buy it and give it a good Mopar home.

Can it be saved ? Yes. Do you wnat to be the one to save it .... thats the question. I would look at it and say..... Nope. I hate RUST !

-RPM

I know a guy that found the back rotted 1/2 of a 70 cuda ragtop.His 70 Cuda Grande was rotted in the back,so he cut it of and attached the ragtop rear.He,s almost done 4 years later.He now owns a 70 Cuda Ragtop,it,s not # matching but who cares??I wouldn,t care.It,s also a 340 4 speed.Wish I had pics. Sorry

Can it be saved ? Yes. Do you wnat to be the one to save it .... thats the question.

-RPM

BINGO.....

All E-Bodies should be saved. You just have to decide if it's by you. :???: :-k

-
Back