Took the Craftsman leaf blower apart, now what

-

pauls340

Reaction score
My gas powered blower just stopped while using it. It looked like and felt like it just seazed-up, but it still cranks. I took it apart, my first ever small engine. Can see the piston, everything moves....what happened?:eek:ops:

Attachments

• Leaf Blower.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 250
Is the exhaust plugged up? I got mine for free because it wouldn't rev up and when you gave it gas, it would bog down and die. Took me 30 mins to find the problem, clean it all up and put it back together. Had that baby putting in work that day, still have and use. I love when free stuff works out great :twisted:

My gas powered blower just stopped while using it. It looked like and felt like it just seazed-up, but it still cranks. I took it apart, my first ever small engine. Can see the piston, everything moves....what happened?:eek:ops:
had that happen with my chainsaw, it seems that the wife used all my mixed gas and just put in a gallon on gas back into the gas can and what was left in the gbottle pf mixing oil, it started and ran for a bit then slowed down and felt siezed up. I let it cool down and emptied out the gas and put in proper mix and awayyyy we went

You said it acted like it siezed, and now it turns over.
2 strokes are prone to exactly that.
They sieze up trashing the rings but can still turn over right after.
How does the cyclinder wall look?
Smear marks on the exhaust side?

Run a compression check on it .
Also look thru the exhaust port and look for a scoured piston , that's where the damage starts when they lean out .
It wont be worth fixing if it needs a new cylinder/piston. Craftsman handheld equipment are usually throw aways when they seize up . You can just buy a replacement so cheap.

If it turns out to be mechanically ok, I had to replace the in tank filter last year, which is available online from sears parts. Mine didn't quit, but got so it started really hard.

Good luck

Was there spark !! Did you check that before dismantling it ?
Again ,I have worked repairing these back in the day and if that carb sucked up some water (bubble) Looks like a ZAMA carb, not sure.:glasses7:
These 2 stokes need compression like any engine but more picky :glasses7:
If a ring rolled over or finely wore out it will start jerking and shut down.
shoot some WD 40 in the cylinder with out the carb and see if it tries to fire off and run, if it does your carb is plugged or not getting gas, it may be time for a rebuild kit on the carb and fuel lines changes out, if a fuel line has any cracks or feel sticky it will not make it to your brimmer bulb (if you have one) I have seen a primer bulb/ or seal behind these rot and not let fuel make it the the carb.
And like said up in this thread :glasses7: it is common for the muffler to get clogged because of cheep oil additives, I check for spark first... Then I shoot WD 40 in the carb to see if it will start. good hunting :glasses7:

Correct, they call it sticking the piston... if it runs too lean and gets hot the piston will stick in the cylinder... I have had this happen a few times when I was racing two stroke karts... I always let it cool down and never broke any rings or messed anything up... when they stick they usually just stop instantly... but can cause issues.

Phelon makes a lot of the ignition modules. Check it closely for cracks or black spots. They ground out on the case and dont fire. Very common. You can find them on amazon and ebay.

-
Back