Tool box save!

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Morning folks,
My neighbor inherited several old rusty tool boxes and was preparing to throw them out. He gave them to me and I set about seeing what I could do. Electrolysis removed most all of the rust and then I painted them up and oiled the hinges. One was too rusty to save, I gave one back to the neighbor and I salvaged the rest. I thought I had taken a "before" pic, but apparently not.

For my first attempt at layering vinyl I thought I would play around with the Craftsman box and fix it up for the trunk of my car. The various decals are red on white, white on red and blue on white.
Thanks for looking,
C

Attachments

• DSC01830.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 447
  • 0628141055.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 452
I keep thinkin I need to try this electrolysis thingie..............

image_03.gif

Calvin those look great. I been lookin for an old rusty one to bolt on the bed of the rat truck.

Thanks guys.
Rob, I think I can fix you up on the rusty box. I'll go look today for you...
C

Thanks Calvin. It probably will never see the road, but I'm not giving up on it. I still need to send you pictures of the latest progress. It was not done when you were here recently.

Looks rad.

White Vinegar works awesome to de-rust things that have paint, because it cleans the paint and won't destroy it, but removes the rust.

I did this on a cross mill table that I got for six dollars. Rusty and jammed, disassembled it and put it all in vinegar for a few hours, brushed it with stainless and it came off with hardly any effort, without touching the paint.

Sometimes paint needs to be redone, but the vinegar trick is great for things like hand tools and stuff that have intentionally bare metal areas and painted or coated areas that don't necessarily need coated.

I'd love to have an old toolbox like that. My Craftsman one from the 1990s that I got at first, now serves as my junkyard box, but it's nowhere near as appealing as those. :)

Tool boxes look great with the stickers 8)

I been lookin for an old rusty one to bolt on the bed of the rat truck.

Along the same lines, a friend just put this in the bed of his Chevy truck.....Good thing it was bolted down or I might have snagged it LOL :smile:

Attachments

• P1110239.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 246
That's neato, C. Yall oughtta sticky this. Maybe Calvin will do a step by step on one. Yall just don't know. Calvin has more talent in his little finger than most people in groups. He's a super cool dude.

No need to go out and buy Chinese-made junk. Thank you Calvin, very nicely done.

-
Back