Tool Help & Question

-

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone Im looking for a good place to get some tools. I wanted to know if there are any good places on the net to buy from.

I was just looking at Harbor Freight USA and they have a mig welder that runs off of house current for $89.99 but that is in store price. The store is about half hour or so away from me.

I sold a mig welder a few years ago that I bought brand new and never got to use. I thought I would sell it to someone who needed and would use it until I could get back on my project.

My dad had a big welder that he used at his shop and when he did a lot of frame work. This was a big gas tang welder and its not something I would need.

Im really looking for a good deal right on a mig welder. I want one that will run off of house current. I know I can rent a welder and be done with it but I do have another project that I want to do later on.

My dads tools have been used for twenty plus years and some will need to be replaced but most if not all are still good and like new.

I would like to find a good place online that has good prices and good tools. I really need a welder right now or by spring.

I was just looking at Harbor Freight USA

Everything Harbor Freight carries is Chinese. Most of it is of very poor quality. You get what you pay for! If you are on a budget, shop for used-but-good tools and equipment made not in China. Most reasonably sizeable towns have at least one used-tool store and plenty of pawn shops. There's also Craigslist and eBay.

Tell me about this mig welder

http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding...welder-3811167

I cant find much on it on the net yet. Im trying to find reviews and will go to youtube as well to see what I find on it.

I called the tractor supply place today as well as the other outlets. The girl at the tractor place said they only had two brands the Campbell and Hobart.

The Campbell is 199 and that helps my wallet but wont help me weld if its a piece of junk.

Thanks all and Im still looking and learning on what I need and will buy. The Miller welder Im still holding on to but they are only open on week days.

I missed a Hobart 140 on craigslist and all the pawn shops are out of them. I even called Lowes they are out of them at this time.

If you are going to spend the money on a wirefeed get a Hobart or a Miller. I am not a big fan of Lincoln (home depot) but they will work.
In all reality if all your doing is body panels you don't need a Mig welder just learn how to "push the puddle" and get a gas welding set up. You can get a good gas welding kit at harbor freight for right around $100 (basically just a Victor kit and all Victor tips will interchange with it and it is way cheaper than Victor) then goto your local welding supply and rent or buy the Oxygen and Acetylene tanks.
If you want to get a good name brand 110 wirefeed a Millermatic 140 will set you back around $600-800 not including a tank.

Don't jump the gun and blow your cash on a crap welder, save up and get a good one!

Lots of good info here www.metalmeet.com

If you are going to spend the money on a wirefeed get a Hobart or a Miller. I am not a big fan of Lincoln (home depot) but they will work.
In all reality if all your doing is body panels you don't need a Mig welder just learn how to "push the puddle" and get a gas welding set up. You can get a good gas welding kit at harbor freight for right around $100 (basically just a Victor kit and all Victor tips will interchange with it and it is way cheaper than Victor) then goto your local welding supply and rent or buy the Oxygen and Acetylene tanks.
If you want to get a good name brand 110 wirefeed a Millermatic 140 will set you back around $600-800 not including a tank.

Don't jump the gun and blow your cash on a crap welder, save up and get a good one!

Lots of good info here www.metalmeet.com

yeah Im saving up for a good one if I do get one and it will take gas or gasless.

This may take a turn and not a bad turn. My dad has a few friends that are still working and some are on the slow end of the jobs right now.

They may weld it up for the price it would cost to buy a welder and gas.

Im still saving and come spring we will see if not before. Im waiting for some warmer (18-20 degrees) days to get in the garage line the panels up and clean them up and align them and be ready to weld.

I got some time its not rush I was just thinking if I found a good deal that would buy one but if not I would save.

Craftsman is made by Clarke. I have 2 Clarke welders and LOVE them. EN130 is 120Volt and EN180 is 240Volt. About $500 or less New.
Frank

I believe you should have a Roberts Oxygen down your way, they deal with Miller welders and usually have an inside angle on used ones.

I believe you should have a Roberts Oxygen down your way, they deal with Miller welders and usually have an inside angle on used ones.

Thats who my dad had been talking to who has one for $600 with cart but could be less without cart.

I think I got a lead on some guys my dad worked with that are in some slow times and might weld the car up for the price of what it would cost for me to get a welder.

I may have them do the work and then get a welder later on and get some scrap metal and learn. I hate to mess up the panels.

Everything Harbor Freight carries is Chinese. Most of it is of very poor quality. You get what you pay for! If you are on a budget, shop for used-but-good tools and equipment made not in China. Most reasonably sizeable towns have at least one used-tool store and plenty of pawn shops. There's also Craigslist and eBay.

I just want to say that if you go into Harbor Freight knowing that it won't last forever or have a warranty, you'll be just fine. When I can walk in there and pick out a tool for a dollar, it doesn't matter if it lasts me two uses or ten years, it's already been worth the money.

Buy what you can afford and what you need. If it's a one time use tool you may be able to buy the cheap stuff. Spend more to get a quality product if you use it regularly. (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc.) I have a lot of techs that buy new from me and take the old tools home. They like using good tools there too. LOL toolmanmike

Buy a good quality mig set up for argon or carbon dioxide mix. I prefer argon, it's a little more expensive, but the welds are cleaner. Stay away from flux core gasless wire, because the welds aren't pretty and you get quite a bit of splatter. When you buy your wire .030 is a good size. You can do sheet metal and some 1/8" wall steel if you need to. As far as brand goes I prefer Miller, but that's just me. I also prefer running off of 220 because you can really get good penetration on anything over sheet metal. Just buy a good welder and it will last you a very long time. Just my 2cents.

As far as the harbor freight welders go. I have one that was practicly given to me a few years ago and used it as a spare or a loaner. It runs off 220 and the welds are not too bad, but the duty cycle sucks and takes quite a bit of setup to get a decent weld and I'm sure that it will die a long time before my miller does.

I like a tig machine, but I've never done body work so I don't know how well they work for that. I have welded as thin as 20 gauge for duct work with it though.

Usually with big purchases like a welder, plasma cutter, air compressor, etc. I'll save up and buy a good quallity unit because I want it to last. Also, with welding, just because your welding body panels today, you may want to weld a trailer hitch tomorrow, so get something universal and big enough for future projects.

-
Back