Tool needed -- Can anyone help?

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
I need to replace the valve guide seals on my 90 Dodge Ram with a 318. Heads are still on the motor. Does anyone have a spring tool I could borrow? I'll pay shipping if it isn't local....unless you have a better idea. I asked all my buddies any nobody has a spring tool.

George

That and make a air compressor adapter out of a old spark plug to fill the chamber with air so the valves don't drop into the chamber..

Napa , oreilys , advanced auto will rent you a tool
Geeeze, I kever knew that. Thanks for the tip!
That and make a air compressor adapter out of a old spark plug to fill the chamber with air so the valves don't drop into the chamber..
I have a tool that threads into the plug hole, and you connect the air compressor hose to the other end.

Thanks guys............ !!!!!!!!!!!!

George

George, I have a on the head spring compressor that is not like the pictured one above. It is a lever. Remove the the rocker arm shaft and bolt down the tool. I used it in my Duster build thread if ya remember that ol'one.

Here's what you need, George...K-D 2078

I bought that same one. Works great! I didnt remove the head, but got lucky with the valves staying up. You can also do the old trick with putting rope in thru the spark plug hole to hold the valve up.

Here's what you need, George...K-D 2078
Thanks Val. I'm going to buy the tool so I have it instead of renting it. It's pretty inexpensive.
George, I have a on the head spring compressor that is not like the pictured one above. It is a lever. Remove the the rocker arm shaft and bolt down the tool. I used it in my Duster build thread if ya remember that ol'one.
I remember that car well. It was one of my favorite Mopars that day we all went to Adam's and then to Marcus Dairy for the show. It was a street beast that was dependable enough to be a daily driver.
I don't know if a lever type tool would work on my truck. Especially for the driver's side with that massive PB booster.
I bought that same one. Works great! I didnt remove the head, but got lucky with the valves staying up. You can also do the old trick with putting rope in thru the spark plug hole to hold the valve up.
Glad to see that someone used it already, and that it works well. Based upon the picture Val posted, it looks like a PITA to use! LOL

Thanks again guys.

Now, next question......what valve guide seals should I buy? It's a stone stock truck thats used as a daily/weekend driver with a pre-magnum 318 EFI engine. I don't NEED anything fancy for it, but if there's a better seal material available please fill me in. I an definately not up on the latest/greatest materials available and I would like to make this repair once. The cheap originals only lasted 209,000 miles and 23 years. Cheap junk. :D :D

George

Glad to see that someone used it already, and that it works well. Based upon the picture Val posted, it looks like a PITA to use! LOL

Thanks again guys.

George...it's easy to use. I've used it many times , on and off the engine. Just make sure you get as much of the valve spring as possible under the claws....easier to "bang" the keepers loose and remove them that way.

And yes, use compressed air in the cylinder to hold valves up while you have the spring(s) off, or, like 4spdragger, rope stuffed into the cylinder works too. If you don't do one of those, you may end up with the valve in the cylinder, and that never ends well!

As for seals, I'd just go with std. umbrella ones...like you say, the old only went 209K miles and 23 years!!...LOL!!

Keep a thin magnet handy to grab onto the keepers! That was the biggest PITA, but other than that like 65Val said its a dream to use. The KD one was the 2nd one we bought. May as well wiped my arse with the $$ we spent on the first one....

Just a quick tip....the keepers may stick in the retainer after you compress (up) the spring. If so, just give a light tap on the top of the tool and they should pop loose. WATCH WHERE THEY FLY!!!!...you need them again!!...(ask me how I know ;-) )

I'm glad you guys like that tool. To me it was a PITA. It does work, but the issue I had it wouldn't grasp the spring good enough sometimes and flew off once I had the spring under pressure.

If I ever do it on the engine again, I will use the one Rob described, safer and easier.

George I bought one at Sears years ago. Dont know were it went or Id loan it to you.

George I bought one at Sears years ago. Dont know were it went or Id loan it to you.

Xs3. That is the best tool for the job if it looks similar to this.

Attachments

• $T2eC16FHJHEE9ny2p)s4BROih(hs7g~~60_1.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 189
If the seals you buy come with a little plastic tube to cover the lock grooves on the valve tip....use it! It's to keep the lock grooves from damaging the new seal. If the seal kit doesn't come with it, you can make one from a drinking straw. Good luck.

If the seals you buy come with a little plastic tube to cover the lock grooves on the valve tip....use it! It's to keep the lock grooves from damaging the new seal. If the seal kit doesn't come with it, you can make one from a drinking straw. Good luck.

Great tip!!!!

-
Back