Tool Organization

-
Here you go:

These rock! The sockets stand on them, but you don't have to pry them off like you do on the strips. Plus each peg has the size of socket at the top. They make them in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2.

I bought a set of each for 6 and 12 point. It allows me to keep all my 3/8 stuff in the same drawer. One day I will have a real tool chest, but not one day real soon...

http://www.sears.com/hansen-global-...SPM5956014408P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

7103500802p

I sell more of the Hansen's than anything else. You do need height in a drawer though or you can put them on your toolbox top or bench. I sell a lot of the old standby socket rails with the clips. They can be laid flat in a shallow drawer or screwed to a piece of plywood to keep them standing up. You do have to pull the sockets off the clips though. Not as easy as the Hansen trays. We also have SH444B's which are 4 socket rails riveted to a metal tray with a handle. There are 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" clips included.http://www.mactools.com/shoponline/product/tabid/120/p-327597-sh444b.aspx
Wrench racks are to numerous to mention but here's a link. They all work quite well but again, you need a deep enough drawer to hold them. (at least 2" deep).http://www.mactools.com/SearchResults/tabid/79/Default.aspx?Search=wrench+racks tmm

I always hated all the trays and cups because if you take the tray out to work outside and tip it, you're screwed, plus you've got to cradle it like a baby when you carry it. They get full of dirt that's dropping in stuff you want to stay clean, they're bulky, etc.

I liked the portability of the clips, but it was a PITA taking the sockets on n' off until...
444.jpg

I LOVE these because I can take the whole tray to the project, hang it by the handle, stick it under the car or dash with a magnet (I sure miss that hard drive...) so I'm not getting up and laying more frequently than some chick at a gangbang, and I arrange the clips by size so I waste very little space in how they're installed. Fold the handle under and stab it back in the box. Sockets all nasty? Stick the whole tray with sockets in the top rack of the dishwasher (Wifey loved that one) and they come out spotless so no dropping grit in that new motor build or kidney transplant patient.

Because the rails are all bolted together, it's ten times easier to remove and install the sockets (because you're not chasing the rails).

It's the cats a$$ and Mac had them pretty cheap. I kept all metric on one, all standard on the next, all driver bits on the third, etc, and when I was working on bikes for a living I arranged the trays by job; one for inner primaries, one for intakes, one for 10K services, etc. which saved me a TON of time on jobs, no fishing for tools I used on each repetitive job.
Besides that, I can look at the rail and know what drive size they are, and it's instantaneous to see if they're 6, 8, or 12 point sockets.

I don't like the trays with the pins because I never get the sockets face up and can't tell if it's 6 or 12 point, and they don't hold driver sockets. Besides...tip the ***** when working outdoors and you'll hate life for awhile.

These trump all other socket devices for my needs, because I don't always work within 10 feet of my box and may not be able to roll the box to where the project is.

For the record (since we're sort of on the subject), I HATE Snap-on tool boxes. The damn drawers are too shallow to stand stuff up, so you have to lay it all down and it wastes a bunch of space. Mac boxes had slightly deeper drawers and that allowed me to fit so much more toolage into a single drawer because I could stand stuff up. Mac for the win!

Yes they set down & lift off with ease. I like 'em although you do need to use a drawer that's 3 1/2" deep if you're planning
to store deep sockets.

Here's a couple pics...I just started playin' with them this afternoon :cheers:

Just ordered 4 sets. Not a bad deal, 3 trays for 7.99.

Yes they set down & lift off with ease. I like 'em although you do need to use a drawer that's 3 1/2" deep if you're planning to store deep sockets. Here's a couple pics...I just started playin' with them this afternoon :cheers:

Das what I'm talking about. I finally got a few sets and got my sockets in order.

I dumped my old box, and personalized it for my Grandson and added a few tools.

View attachment c's box.jpg

I replaced it with a new one (on left), I'm getting there.

View attachment new box.jpg

Almost out of room again, already.

:) ^^ I've given a few of those socket organizers as gifts too....

I bet your Grandson will love having his own tools :thumbup:

I bet your Grandson will love having his own tools :thumbup:

I hope so, he has this uncanny gift of getting in my socket draw and mixing them up. :D

I told him when I got a new box, that black one was his. He was tickled about that, and he doesn't know yet, he'll be all over it when he comes over.

-
Back