Tool recommendations

-

WTruo

Reaction score
I'll be picking up some new tools soon and I'd like yar input as to which brand/model to buy. Hell if money wasn't a issue I'd be walking out of the snap on truck with this stuff but I want to keep it economical but at the same time spend a few more bucks for quality.

1. Timing gun
2. Vacuum gauge
3. Cam degree kit

I have an idea on which cam degree kit I might pickup because I've seen it in many videos already.

Let me know guys, thanks.

JY

I don't know. So much stuff has been chineseoisifinationized that there is almost no such thing anymore, as 'brands" and "quality." I still have the Sears/ Penske light bought in the early 70's, IT STILL WORKS, and I bought it's twin sister a couple years ago at a thrift store "just to have" and IT works as well.

I DO NOT like "dial up" timing lights as I've had a bit of trouble with them in years past. I prefer a straight timing light, and 'degree the balancer' for the rest

Vacuum gauge? Your local so called parts store, Oh' Really's or whatever.

If you are measuring ignition timing, then timing tape. Black with white or yellow markings is the easiest to read. Some aftermarket dampers are different diameter than factory Chrysler and so will need a tape for that diameter. Also a tachometer.
I'm with Del, find something older at a yard sale, swap meet or classified.
I have a digital dialback. Its convenient but I don't fully trust it.... When I can, I prefer tape and one of my older analogs.

My timing light is a sears one that I bought when I was a teenager, I am in my 50's now so....

I gave my old sunpro vacuum gauge to my cousin and just replaced it with an advanced auto vacuum/pressure gauge, it works fine.

I would not buy a complete cam degree kit, way to expensive if just working on one style of engine.
I bought a moroso large degree wheel.
A adapter socket for the crank shaft, bonus is it can be used to turn the engine over when rebuilding it.
A cheap harbor freight magnetic dial indicater, which I checked accuracy with the Starret ones at work, and it was dead on.
Just twist up a coat hanger for a pointer.

Post a want ad here. Always a timing gun for sale here. I bought a gun and vac gauge used from on here. Both older good working models.

Pawn shop Snap-on
I have mostly Snap-on, which is way over priced. We turn wrenches for a living though, and get excellent service out of them.
I’ve been buying a handful of tools from Matco lately, as they finally have a rep in our area. They seem decent, and quite a bit cheaper. Long term idk
I have some Mac, no wrenches though. Quality went way down over the years, and it looks like Chinamart on his truck.

Umm
Pawn shop Snap-on
I have mostly Snap-on, which is way over priced. We turn wrenches for a living though, and get excellent service out of them.
I’ve been buying a handful of tools from Matco lately, as they finally have a rep in our area. They seem decent, and quite a bit cheaper. Long term idk
I have some Mac, no wrenches though. Quality went way down over the years, and it looks like Chinamart on his truck.

I have a hate/love relationship with my snap on stuff. I love the quality but hate that I invested so much into it especially now since I don't wrench for a living.

Matco is pretty good only issue we had around here was having a steady sales rep.

Same thing went for Mac tools.

If I could go back and do it again I think I would have invested more in matco or even craftsman, don't even get me started on boxes lol.

Look for something pre 80. And run from most dial backs like Matt said. Tape is the way to go. I have some stuff have to look put it away after Carlisle. Sun and older sears/penski, Dixco all good brands back then.

Just a idea what I have around old ad.
[SOLD] - Old test equipment that works!

Last edited:
-
Back