tools

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I have got to buy me some tools like ratchet and socket sets, screwdrivers stuff like that and was wondering what brands you guys prefered as far as how they last, feel in your hand, and warranties.

SnapOn if your budget can afford it. American made Craftsman if you have limited funds. Some Craftsman is now made in China and I wouldn't buy those.

I have both and the SnapOn sockets have thinner walls to get in tight places.

Chase around on Ebay and maybe see if there are some flea markets in your area. Prices at the flea markets here are damned reasonable, compared to buying brand name/new tools. Plus the advantage to the flea markets is, you can get multiples of the tools you use the most. JMO

Bill S.

Imma matco fan personally but craftsmans if your on a budget but it depends on how often u plan on working with them, if it an everyday kind of thing you should dish out the extra $ and get snap on, matco, mac, cornwell or something like that. They have lifetime warranties and a great feel and they re a better tool all around

The Lowes Kobalt and Home depot Husky brands seem reasonable for the $. I have a mix of everything Matco, Snapon, Mac, Crapsman, Northern etc

I have a mix, the main issue with Snapon, if they break, you need ot find a truck to replace it or send it back to them. Craftsman, just take it back to Sears. S-K and Proto are both good brands with Lifetime warantee (believe Napa is also).

Bottom line, buy something with a lifetime warantee that you can return easily when it breaks. Sockets and box wrenches, Snapon flank drive is the best. (won't round corners off )

I have a mix, the main issue with Snapon, if they break, you need ot find a truck to replace it or send it back to them. Craftsman, just take it back to Sears. S-K and Proto are both good brands with Lifetime warantee (believe Napa is also).

Bottom line, buy something with a lifetime warantee that you can return easily when it breaks. Sockets and box wrenches, Snapon flank drive is the best. (won't round corners off )

Those are all good tools.

There was a thread about not being able to get warranty on S-K since they sold out. I don't know if that is accurate or not since I just found this.
http://www.skhandtool.com/warranty.aspx

ahh, didn't realize about the S-K WT. Thanks. Also, I have a lot of 3/8 drive extensions, the Snapon are the skinniest but also because of that, twist a lot more if I have to reef on them a bit, the thicker ones transfer more torque to the socket... just an FYI.

SWEET, thanks for posting this. I just broke a 15mm deep socket last night. I was gonna look for this tonight and now I have it.

I used to have Snap-on tools, until I started using Kobolt sockets and ratchets. I REALLY like them, and the price doesn't break the bank

Those are all good tools.

There was a thread about not being able to get warranty on S-K since they sold out. I don't know if that is accurate or not since I just found this.
http://www.skhandtool.com/warranty.aspx

I agree with what's been posted so far, most of my stuff is Craftsman. I do buy the "professional" grade craftsman stuff though, the high polish tools. They cost more, but they're way better made than the regular stuff.

Also, I wouldn't plan on being able to go to Sears to take advantage of the warranty. Craftsman isn't going anywhere, but Sears may go under. That's likely why you can now get Craftsman tools from Summit, Ace Hardware, etc.

And if you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on Craigslist, local swap meets etc for American made brands. Usually way more reasonable than new, and as long as they havent been abused they'll last forever anyway.

-
Back