Top radiator hose cold

-

dart67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The top hose is cold, the bottom hose is warm and the heater hoses are warm, it's a new radiator, could it be a thermostat? 360 engine in 74 duster
Thanks

What temp is the motor?
What temp rating is the thermostat?
If the temp of the motor is not higher than the rating on the thermostat then it is not opening to circulate the cooled water in the radiator.
Which is not a bad thing

The thermostat is a 180, the temp gauge isn't reading anything

about 15 mins I don't have an exhaust on it and don't want to piss off any one

about 15 mins I don't have an exhaust on it and don't want to piss off any one

You need something to verify coolant temp. 15 minutes at idle in the driveway may not have been enough to get the coolant hot enough to open the stat.

You can take the radiator cap off and stick a meat thermometer in the hole and see what happens.

If your coolant isn't circulating by about 190-195 (I see you have a 180 stat but give it a little extra time), your stat is most likely bad or installed incorrectly.

Ok I'll try that
Thanks

If the heater hoses are warm and the heater is producing SOME heat, then the coolant is circulating. This fact is ALWAYS THE determining factor as to coolant flow, that is, that you are not airlocked, that you have enough coolant in the system, and that the pump impeller is not broken.

Now the question becomes "is the engine warm or overheating," and "is / when should the thermostat be opening?"

New Hampshire? How cold is it there today?

Yes I have heat,I was wondering about it being air locked, the temp is 64 today

I would be a bit suspicious of the stat not opening in 15 minutes; it ought to be ready by then. Check the t-stat by taking off and putting in a pan of water and heaitng it up. Use the meat thermo there to see at what temp is it opening. You can also check to see if it is installed in the right direction at the same time.

-
Back