Top Radiator Hose Collapses

-

RichardJ916

Reaction score
1972 Duster Top radiator hose collapses after engine cools down, I have read and read about why and have look at many of pages on why this happens but after replacing the Cap with a vented and non vented one it still does it to the top hose. I don't have a reserve system just a chrome catch bottle system. The car does not run hot or over heat it run 190 maybe plus or minus a few but over all wise it run good. There is no coolant in the catch can nor is it over filled. From what I can tell about being over filled. When its cool the lever is down about 1/2 inch from top. So I am not sure what is going on here. I am not sure that this is causing any trouble except for wearing out the hose but if I open the cap while cooled it will fix the hose to the proper shape.

Please let me know what could be the trouble.

And please don't tell me to put a reserved system in place of what I have now...

Thanks

Tell us about your cooling system, engine, etc. Pictures help.

What coolant? Thermostat and size?

I think I'd try adding some coolant even though it's at a half inch. Got to be too much air in there is my feeling.
A radiator hose spring might help somewhat.

I read that you are supposed to leave ~1" air level at the top of the radiator. If you fill it full, it normally spits the extra coolant into the recovery bottle and thus make it right, but that doesn't appear to be happening for you.

If the hose is collapsing the system is in a vacuum. There are only about two ways to cause this

1....Overflow hose is plugged, or overflow bottle? is not vented

2...Cap is not venting on cool down. Most of the caps I've had have a "loose" check valve and it's easy to see how they work

Mitsubishi-radiator-vent.jpg

Nevermind :D

It want's a recovery system pretty bad doesn't it.?

What coolant? Thermostat and size....
The Orange Stuff 50/50 Mixture
185 Thermostat
Mopar 360 Motor
The Canister is not Vented, Never was it has a hose from the top of the Radiator to the chrome catch can, its a sealed unit. It seems like it didn't do this last Summer, just this summer, nothing changed to the system flushed out the old stuff and filled with new stuff. Well what's next....
I don't mind replacing Stat but I hate just throwing parts at it....

Please help....

Oh the over flow tub is not plugged because sometimes there is some coolant in the bottle...
There is a **** pit value on the bottom that I can release antifreeze.

And how can the over flow bottle need to be vented, its a sealed unit form Summit one inlet on top and nothing else except to drawn from the bottom.

That's a catch can, not an overflow if I read that right.

I understand that they do make two different caps and I have tried both, and it does the same for both.. Vented and Non Vented.

The Cap is New Today, had 2-3 other over the past few days and still the same. The tube that goes to the Catch can is good because once in a while there is antifreeze in the can...
So I don't understand what there trouble is....
Stant OE Replacement Radiator Cap 10231 ( Vented ) and Cap 10230 ( Not Vented )
Yesterday I went around to 10 different cars at the car show and all had the 10230 caps and all had no catch cans, the only difference is mine has a catch can, I hate seeing antifreeze on the ground if the car happens to heat up and perk out some fluid...

And another thigh is the catch can never had a vent, this one doesn't, and it didn't do this last year. So to tell me that the can needs a vent why do they sell em that way

Catch can or recovery tank, really no difference. They MUST be vented somewhere

Every coolant recovery can I have seen has a vent. We sell 2 sizes at work. They are vented. I am in the process of adding one to my truck now. I decided against either we sell at work, because they're stupid lookin. I am going with the 87 model Ford truck one, because it is the coolant recovery tank and washer tank in one unit. Since my washer motor was toast, I thought I would do something to fix the whole thing.

But the tanks have to be vented or you will experience what you have.

Bottom line is this. SOMETHING is holding the vacuum. 'TAINT too many things it can be and they have ALL been listed.

According to what I see in the Stant application, 10231 is what you should use

stant.com/files/2714/0979/5243/Stant_Vintage_Guide.pdf

Page 106, I looked up a Dart because it was too damn much work to scroll clear down to the "Ps" LOL

Can you post what exactly that catch can is, brand and part no, or a link to buy?

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 309
-
Back