torgue converter oil

-

1968340S

Reaction score
Just had the transmission rebuilt 727A and I drained the old oil out of the converter about 1 quart. Do I need to add any new oil into the converter before install to the transmission or just add oil to the transmission only and allow the converter to fill.

I just can't rember
thanks chris

A better plan would be spring for a reman'd converter. Contaminates or debrie in the used one can damage the rebuilt trans (they share the oil) and take you back to square one. Whoever rebuilt the trans should have said same. My trans mans policy is "reman'd converter included or no warrenty on the trans". In those vehicles where the factory installed a hidden screen in the trans cooler he will demand replace it with aftermarket cooler too.

When I bought the car some one had already started on some of the resoration in 2003. They went through the engine and trans. paint and body work thats all. No interior, engine compartment, brakes, ect, work done.The car had a couple thousand miles on it and the owner that I bought the car from let it sit in his shop with all his other collector cars since 2004. He was investor, a dot-com guy but had to sell off all his cars do to bad busniess. Any ways I started to resore from start. Pulled the engine was just replacing all the gaskets, seals, ect. The trans. was in great shape, my trans man said clean oil ,filter wasn't bad just wanted to replace with a gaskets, seals, o-rings , filter kit. So I should of said service not rebuild. He said no real reason for a rebuild. Maybe I should clean the converter.This converter I have could be after market. Its 103/4" with no penastar or casting # on it. I drove the car home back in 2006 about 50 miles and the trans did work fine. Also has a trans cooler.
Thanks Redfish

Once you have this combo assembled, do not run the transmission in any forward gear. Jack the rear end up, start, and run in neutral and reverse only. Once you have the fluid level filled and topped off properly, then you can go forward.

-
Back