torison bars

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I recently had new leaf springs installed on my Duster, and the guy who put them on said after a short time, the rear will go down about 1 inch for a nice stance. About a week or two after that I noticed the drivers side of the car was sitting about 1 inch lower than the other side. I was very noticable then I drove it a little and the drivers side went up just a tad. But that was 2 weeks ago and the drivers side is still sitting about half an inch or so lower than the other side. Also put new shocks on and no change. I was told that there is an adjusting bolt for the torsion bar that needs to be turned. Problem is I can't turn it. It's rock solid, and needs to be tighten maybe one turn from what I was told. Does the bolt need to be soaked in something in order to get it loose?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I would start soaking both sides with PB B'laster, and see if you can get it to turn after a few days. In fact start shooting all of the front end bolts, to prepare for the imminent rebuild.

As for the uneven stance, you didn't use Super Stock springs did you?

What bolt are you turning? It should be the one sticking out the bottom of your lower control arm. Lift the front tires off the ground makes this much easer.

Lift, adjust, drop, measure, repeat until its how you like it.

If it is high on the pass side rear you will want to adjust the front drive corner up if you want the car level.

You will need an alignment after all this is done.

ps.. This may not be the best way to level the car, but it is one way. It is also how I did mine.

I did not use super stock springs. Just stock 5-leaf replacements. The bolt I am talking is the one sticking out beneath the lower control arm. It still wouldn't turn with the front end jacked up. I'll try soaking it in something. Thanks

With the car way up, soak that adjusting bolt well, over and over a few times. Then, actuallly, tighten and lossen it with a breaker bar until it breaks free. Sometimes, there really tuff.

-
Back