Torker II or M-1 Single Plane?

-

Thrashard340

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. While checking for intake leaks and taking a closer look at the manifold, I realized I had an older style Torker 340 instead of the Torker II. So since I have to replace the intake gasket, I've been kicking around the idea of swapping intakes. Should I upgrade to a Torker II or a Mopar M-1? I want to stay with a similar single plane intake. My combo is as follows...

360 + .060
approximately 9.8:1 compression
Crower Cam 290HDP 224/234 @ .050; .507/.522 lift
Holley 750 DP
bowl ported X heads
4 speed
4:10 gears

The popular or most versatile answer would be the RPM Air-Gap. However, I'm not concerned with power down low. The cam operates in the 2700-6500 RPM range. Launching at 3000 RPMs lights up the tires all the way through 1st gear. Also, I want to swap intakes without upsetting the jetting on the carb. If I switch from single plane to dual plane, will I need to take it up a couple of steps? Although, if I need to re-jet I will.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

I run a Holley Strip Dominator cause I had it. I would also go with the M-1. Excellent manifold.

Fred B

we swapped out a weiand X-CELerator for a m-1 on the ole dart sport 340 - man what a difference! ma mopar knows what shes doin when it comes to intakes! wouldnt change back for anything m-1 is the way to go for single 4bbl higher rpm applications!

If your cam was in the 240+ degrees of duration range I'd say get a Victor, but the M-1 seems to fit the bill with your present cam.

Too bad they dont make these for LA engines!

5440.jpg

It looks like the M-1 is the overwhelming favorite. Mopar has 2 versions, 1) P4876334 idle - 5600 rpms and 2) P5249614 2800 - 7500 rpms. Is it safe to assume that I should go with option 2, P5249614?

The P5249614 is for W-5 heads! Don't buy it! P4876334 is the correct part number for your application.

I know its a little off the subject, but will a BB M1 intake manifold allow enough clearance under factory hood for carb and stock air breather ?

Does that M1 use the old style water neck or the new style? I was just checking it out on Summit. You folks are saying this is a better intake than the eldelbroc air gap? Jeff

Jeff, the intake should be useing the old style water neck, which can also be purchased new from MoPar. It's also a bit thicker at the base.

The M-1 is better than the RPM (Air gap or not) in certain arenas. Race rides would benifit if the RPM band in which they operate in are higher than the RPM is built for and also while skipping the lower RPM band in which the RPM intake works great in.

At one some point, a single plane is better than a dual plane. Alot depends on driving as well as engine make up. (Combo)
The orginal poster wantrs to stay with a single plane intake. Thats the bottom line.

Any more input on this? How many single planes will fit under a stock hood?

I know you said you want to stick to a single plane,but i'll bet the Air Gap out performs any of the single planes mentioned..just curious what times are you running with that combo???

How does the Eddy Torker II 340 compare to the M1 for street/strip use ???

Attachments

• IMGP5934.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 523
  • IMGP5928.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 543
  • IMGP5922.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 508
Any more input on this? How many single planes will fit under a stock hood?

The M1 single plane measured the same height as my cast iron 340 intake. But it sure looks higher.

I think if you buy a new M1 you get the relocated T-stat housing.

Notice the intake bolts are angled for a LA engine.

dcc-4876334_w.jpg

-
Back