Torque Boxes vs. Frame Connectors

-
Outside of body flex symptoms (IE 1/4 panel roof joint filler cracking) would I even see any kind of difference while driving if I was to install subframe connectors and front and rear torque boxes?

As Greg said, yes, you will without a doubt notice a difference in turns and the overall handling. I was amazed at the difference it made, and it was noticeable immediately.

I think the torque boxes in you situation would be overkill, just make a set of frame connectors and weld em in.

You can make a set for around 35-40 bucks.

I see each option as addressing different stresses, so I would opt for both torque boxes and frame connectors. That would give you a very stout chassis, able to tolerate both hard cornering and drag launches. Why take a chance when there is so much at stake if you wrinkle a quarter? Once done, if you add a roll bar with eight points, the car could run nines on slicks and take the beating. My 65 was that way for many years, and many wheelstands.

Do BOTH..The stronger the engine the more important frame stiffening is. My opinion is the stiffer the frame is the longer the whole unibody will last. The twist of the unibody (under torque) repeated times cannot help buy weaken the sheetmetal(Welds,joints, even seamsealer). therefore for a few bucks more(and labor) The stiffer overall car's strength will allow the car to last longer. FYI-torqueboxes are a MUST in convertibles (no B-pillar) a PLUS in power cars!

Good luck

Stick your head underneath your coffee table. Those triangle shaped pieces of wood in the corners are torque boxes. You can see how little it takes to dramatically increase the rigidity of the frame.

Regarding the frame connectors, I actually have no knowledge of what forward thrust is. But what I was taught they do, is prevent the up and down stresses on the middle of the unibody. Picture a car doing a wheelstand and you can easliy imagine how much the floor pans want to bend in that space between the front of the leaf spring mount and the transmission crossmember. If the car is trying bend into a hump, it's also putting a lot of extra stresses on the U-joints and tranny tailshaft. Probably led to to more than one tailshaft bushing failure over the years.

While the typical square tubing welded only on the front and back go a long way towards the goal, the extra time and money you spend on a fitted set that get welded to the floor pan as well are FAR superior and a no brainer assuming you've got the extra cash.

IMHO the best you can find are made by John Paseman at US Car Tool. http://uscartool.com/documentation/67-75-a-body-frame-connector-install-pics/

The main reason for torque boxes on a unibody car or in a perimeter framed car is for inproving the integrity in a side or angular collision. That's why they're installed on convertibles. Because there is no roof structure to support the body. Does it add a benefit in some areas for accelerartion & cornering forces? Yeah of course. But main intention is for collision integrity. Kind of like gussets.

As far as Boxed tubing connectors vs fitted/ contoured type(like us car tool) The fitted/ contoured type has to be welded the entire length because it's just a u-channel & the floor board make it a box when welded together. Box tube only needs to be welded at the ends where it attaches to the frame rails because its already a boxed design & seamless. Also boxed tubing is stronger merely because of the thicker gauge of the tubing walls.

It seems to me like the best subframe connector would be the ones that protrude through the floor. You get a full box frame made of nice thick steel AND its tied to the floorboard. Best of both worlds IMO.

Matt,
You wouldn't probably notice much difference going in a straight line down the road, but EVERYWHERE else you would.
For example, the first time you turned into or out of a raised driveway or parking lot you would think it was a completely different car.

Makes a big difference in how the car corners also.
Just WAY more stable feeling.

As Greg said, yes, you will without a doubt notice a difference in turns and the overall handling. I was amazed at the difference it made, and it was noticeable immediately.

I think the torque boxes in you situation would be overkill, just make a set of frame connectors and weld em in.

You can make a set for around 35-40 bucks.

Thanks guys, I've long since had this question. Just never asked being I'm not ready to install yet.

So I still have a pair of the Mopar Performance subframe connectors sitting in their shipping box...I’m hesitant to have them welded in if they’re as pointless as some of you guys suggest.

What is the verdict on the Magnumforce pieces that are buttressed at the front? Does this help significantly?

Tubular subframe connectors A-body Mopar

D1CA7F4D-BB03-4214-A616-9EBE25E2EF2E.jpeg

It seems to me like the best subframe connector would be the ones that protrude through the floor. You get a full box frame made of nice thick steel AND its tied to the floorboard. Best of both worlds IMO.
Agree w/ this. welded front and rear, protruding thru the floor and welded full length in
the floor. driveshaft loop welded to both. I bought the 2" sq. tubing for $18.00 , cut and installed inside the frame rails. Is sticking thru the floor about 3/4", used 3/4" foil faced foam board insulation to level the floor for new carpeting, u cant tell their even there.

The factory torque boxes tied the front and rear sub-frames (not to be confused with K frame) to the rocker panels for as much strength and it could provide. The convertibles had double rocker panels for added strength.

Torque boxes were an inexpensive method to strength the verts and hemi/ 440 ( some? all? don't remember)... I will say this, Back in 80's 90's I had many 440 6, several hemi cars.. those cars with a 4 speed, I had several that the body was twisted. Yes stock engine. Never seen it on AT ones. Ma Mopar did not see that a frame connector was needed ( Ha), the design of the unibody was supposed to be adequate. The rocker was the "frame connector", and the t. box was easy way to help these cars, especially the vert.????

One thing to remember is the rocker is part of the unibody, ... it rusts from the inside too! and gets thinner over the decades. I see so may rusty cars restord, I would want frame connectors on them all. Unless a purist and puttttt around!!
If subject of best way to do connectors has a book written on the subject here in FABO.

i have no before and after experience installing either to say what effect they have,
but frame connectors appear to be just adding 2 more studs to a stud wall and
torque boxes would be like adding gussets to all four corners.I don't think any
manufacturer ever added frame connectors to their performance models?
I know which i would install!

Those MF connectors are ridiculously expensive. 350 for something that can be done with under $50 in tubing.

If I had the choice between torque boxes or frame connectors, frame connectors every time.

Those MF connectors are ridiculously expensive. 350 for something that can be done with under $50 in tubing.

If I had the choice between torque boxes or frame connectors, frame connectors every time.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS ! Ever had a car twist so bad the drivers door just bounces when u close it? Then add frame connectors to stop it ?
u`d agree.

I have built and welded a lot of trailers and long thin wall square tubing bends and twists very easily.I'm sure 2 pieces of 2x2 will add something to our street driven cars.
i can see a system like this making a worthwhile difference but that wheelstander would probably need much more.

abody01.jpg

I also say frame connectors, an agree with costs of these aftermarket engineered wonders, .... I get 2 x 3 inch tubing, costs very little, get whatever thickness you want. It has been argued on here many times about where to cut the floor and weld to floor. My take is that is way overkill unless a race car ( which I know would have a cage!) or track car. If you sell the car larger to a purist he could simply cut and grind where the connectors were.

I also say frame connectors, an agree with costs of these aftermarket engineered wonders, .... I get 2 x 3 inch tubing, costs very little, get whatever thickness you want. It has been argued on here many times about where to cut the floor and weld to floor. My take is that is way overkill unless a race car ( which I know would have a cage!) or track car. If you sell the car larger to a purist he could simply cut and grind where the connectors were.
MAW mopar didn`t invision 6-900 h.p. streetcars running around back then. I used 120 wall, 2" sq. tubing, w/ the driveshaft loop welded to them, and the 6 point cage. I didn`t want a roll bar, but from past experience knew the 505 would twist the body if it ever hooks up. I always ran w/ the back seat down in my new one back in the day, liked the way it looked !. Like a business coupe.

At what hp...torque would frame and body re-inforcing be required?
From what everyone has said that has installed either type, there is a noticeable improvement in how solid the car is. Fewer creaks and rattles, the doors close more solidly etc. I can't help but think it would be a worthwhile improvement regardless of horsepower.

Last edited:
The engineers probably built the unibody to have some flex and
work as a unit front,belly rear and suspension...kinda' like how trucks
with an open sided frame would wiggle and move the cab independently
of the box.This is probably more complicated than we think when it comes
to ride,handling,understeer etc.
...Where are you NuBlu?

The engineers probably built the unibody to have some flex and
work as a unit front,belly rear and suspension...kinda' like how trucks
with an open sided frame would wiggle and move the cab independently
of the box.This is probably more complicated than we think when it comes
to ride,handling,understeer etc.
...Where are you NuBlu?

Just saw this pop up :D. For future reference, you can "tag" someone if you really want them to see something, pops up as an alert. Just type "@" before the username ie, @ir3333 . The site even suggests autofills from the username list after a few letters.

Um yeah, chassis engineering is a super complicated deal, that's why guys with engineering degrees design this stuff. You do want your car to have some flex, because if you have too little flex you break stuff, cracks appear at joints, etc. But, the same thing can happen from too much flex, you overstress or overflex the materials and you guessed it, cracks appear. For a totally different reason, but you can get cracks from too much or too little flex. You have to balance this to the use of the chassis, how much power you have, etc with the strength of the chassis and how much flex it can withstand.

Since most of use have doubled or more the amount of power in these cars, it goes to reason you need a stiffer chassis. Same thing with upgrading the suspension. The old bias plys and floppy stock torsion bars don't translate a lot of force to the chassis, so, back then you didn't need a very stiff chassis because the OE suspension doesn't load the chassis all that much. So of course the factory isn't going to do frame connectors (or a full frame) or even torque boxes if they weren't really needed, just adds expense. And in the 60's and 70's, they weren't really needed for the amount of grip and power these cars had. At least not to meet the "life expectancy" of these cars that the factory designed for.

Now of course it's totally different. Even just adding radial tires makes a big difference, which is why I would never put anything smaller than a 1" torsion bar on a car anymore. Even with not so grippy BFG T/A's you have far better grip than bias plys, so, you get more force to the suspension and chassis. It's all a balancing game between grip, power, and chassis stiffness.

The argument between tubular subframe connectors, weld to floor connectors like the US cartool ones, homebuilt through the floor connectors has happened a whole bunch on this site, and I've been drawn into it a few times. The bottom line is, unless you do a finite element analysis on the whole chassis, no one is going to know which style is "best". Even the little bolt-in Mopar Performance tubular connecters make a difference when welded in. Are they as stiff as a set of US Cartool connectors? Not likely. Are they as good as a set of 1.5"x3" tubular connectors like I run that don't go through the floor? Probably not. Are those as stiff as a 2x3" tubular connector that goes through the floor? Who knows. The thing is, there's a limit to how stiff a set of frame connectors can make a car. Only so much force is translated along those frame members. So at some point the strength of the connector surpasses what the chassis carries at those points and you've gone into overkill. But without an FEA, who knows what that is.

For me, the bottom line is any frame connector improves the stiffness of the chassis some. Some are no doubt better than others, but for a given application we have no idea which one is actually better. I use a set of tubular 1.5"x3"x.120 connectors on my car that I build myself, with large anchor plates that overlap a whole bunch of the rear rails and the torsion bar crossmember. The difference was noticeable. Torque boxes help a bunch too, by boxing the corners of the chassis where a lot of load and twist occurs. Even the factory knew that and added them for the 'verts and high horsepower cars. So, for me I think ALL of these cars could use torque boxes and frame connectors. Improvements in tires and suspension make them even more necessary. Anything is better than nothing, and unless you do an FEA no one is going to know what's "best", because you can make the subframe connecters stronger than the amount of force the chassis will send to them (and stronger than the chassis they're attached to!). And you can even make a car "too stiff" too, although that's kinda unlikely in this case. That's just my .02.

Last edited:
-
Back