Torque Convert Experience

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
My father in law has a 380hp 360 Magnum Crate and a 904 trans in his 69 cuda. He currently has changed his gear to a 2.94 due to the fact that his race days are over and he just wants to enjoy the ride. The torque converter in it is a 2600rpm tci and he is wanting to go down to around a 1200 converter as you can feel it slip with the new highway gear in it. Anyone know how this motor would act with a lower torque converter? Mopar suggested a 2200 at least but I find that a little hard to believe since the cam is pretty mild.
Thanks for the input

The construction of the converter is as/more important then the stall speed. The TCI is most likely a off the shelf unit and not very efficient. A specialty builder could spec one with a decent stall that would still drive like a 1200. And being a lower performance unit, pricing is very reasonable. Try Dynamic, PTC, Ultimate or Turbo Action. The'll build one that's perfect for the application.

I contacted Turbo Action and they worked out well. if you give them the exact combination of parts and tell them how you want it to work, they should be able to set you up. you will need to spend more than before, but it will pay off. Good luck and happy cruising!

1200 might actually be lower than an OEM low stall converter. Factory high stall was about 2300.

Ever thought of a 42RH swap with a lockup? You could go back to 4.10's and have an effective 2.94 on the highway. Low 13's and 20+ MPG with the same combo.

Usually a small gear change,drops the stall speed significantly. Have some 3.23's available?.

The factory standard stall was about 1700, so 1200 would be a bit low. Call Precision of New Hampton. They can provide you something nice without breaking the bank.

The construction of the converter is as/more important then the stall speed. The TCI is most likely a off the shelf unit and not very efficient. A specialty builder could spec one with a decent stall that would still drive like a 1200. And being a lower performance unit, pricing is very reasonable. Try Dynamic, PTC, Ultimate or Turbo Action. The'll build one that's perfect for the application.
This is very accurate,except PERFECT doesn't exist.LOL A true 380hp crate engine is pretty soft down low so it likes converter and gear to run well. I would get rid of the single plane intake for an RPM 2 plane type first and then stuff a custom PTC converter. Talk to Lane or Kenny as they know what works ,just give them ALL the info and go from there.

-
Back