Torque Converter draining

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Is there a easier way to drain a torque converter that is on a bench other then hooking it up and using the trans cooler lines to drain and fill with engine running. Would like to prefill while trans is out and change to synthetic. There is no drain plug on it.

You can't get 95% of the fluid out of it simply by turning it upside down over a bucket? They probably only hold 1/2 to 3/4 quarts anyways. i guess if you are super concerned, you could slosh some gas or alcohol around in it and drain it again.

some ppl drill a small hole then tap a plug, but thats only to drain it while in the car? not sure what the confusion is if it's out on a bench?

A friend gave me a 727 tranny and torque converter for free that sat on a shelf outside his garage under plastic. Long time transmission shop in my area with plenty of experience in older cars told me to just drain the old fluid out by flipping the torque converter over a bucket. Fill with fresh fluid, drain, repeat fill and drain and then fill with fresh fluid and install. It doesn't hurt to slosh the fluid around before draining.

Johnny, Not sure what sz TC you have but the oem 10 inchers hold a lot more than that. Try 2.5 plus qts.
In non-loc-ups,I usually drill a hole and tap it 1/8 pipe, on the flex-plate side. A little thread sealer and away you go. Use a drill stop so you dont wreck stuff inside.

Johnny, Not sure what sz TC you have but the oem 10 inchers hold a lot more than that. Try 2.5 plus qts.
In non-loc-ups,I usually drill a hole and tap it 1/8 pipe, on the flex-plate side. A little thread sealer and away you go. Use a drill stop so you dont wreck stuff inside.

Yeah mine is an 8 inch. Lol sorry. And im more referencing what you can put in it and not have it leak out upon install...cant say I recall ever putting a full quart in my little converter. But sorry if Im incorrect about big ol factory ones. Your number sounds more accurate if topped off. Good catch.

Ever try to get water out of a tire without a rim? Imagine that, but with a tiny hole. Drilling holes will leave metal inside of it, just let it be; adding synthetic isn't going to hurt it.

Some of y'all make me :laughing:.

-
Back